Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 09:54 AM   #1

Tire TEMPERATURE ??

Question is: What TEMPERATURE Range should I be looking for at for a properly inflated tire at highway speeds of 60-65 mph? I'll be installing a TPMS on the tires before we leave.

Background is this: So as a newbie I posted a thread here last summer asking about proper tire PRESSURE: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/corr...tt-506857.html

I found and referred to the WRONG Goodyear chart for my tires at that time because the chart was for typical TT tires of the "ST" moniker ST225/75R16 (and I was in a rush to get home from Montana to NJ to start my teaching job while figuring out everything about towing a TT on the way)

I just found the correct table today for MY tires which are LT225/75R16 showing that for my light TT (Jayco 2112QBW) with a max loaded weight of around 6,000 lbs (1500 lbs per tire) I can actually run with those tires at 35 PSI! We're probably under that weight, but one of the first stops I'll make this year when we head west for the summer is to weigh it fully loaded at a Pilot weighing station. But let's assume 6,000 lbs to leave a little margin for safety (and I don't have to run at the lowest possible inflation either)

SO, since 35 psi is SOO much lower than everyone on these forums has said they run with BUT everyone has advised going with the manufacturer's recommendations....

What TEMPERATURE Range should I be looking at for a properly inflated tire at highway speeds of 60-65 mph? I'll be installing a TPMS on the tires before we leave?

In the thread referred to last summer @bneukam was the only to address that question with the answer:
"Temps will greatly vary depending on outside temperature, speed, and exposure to the sun.
With that said the highest I’ve seen is 112 degrees on my current tires. This was during a upper 90’s day traveling at 65."

Is there a safe temperature range from Goodyear?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodyear LT225-75R16 Inflation Guide.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	327407  
Peterk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #2

Highway speeds around me is 70-72mph in the slow lane.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #3

Also run with a TPMS, and more importantly I am looking for a tire that is running hotter than the others. They should always be within 5 or 6 degrees of one another.

That temp of 112 was on cheaper Towmax C rated tires. Have now switched over to the Endurance D rated. The old tires we ran at the max 50 psi. The new D rated are a 65 psi max tire. Iíve started out at 55 psi and will monitor this summer as we go. Even though by the load chart I can run mine down to 45 psi, that is too low IMO.

Many say to run at the tires max pressure, regardless of the load chart, which I also disagree with. Will monitor this summer and adjust pressures accordingly.

From the Goodyear rep I spoke to he would consider 100 to 110 degrees running temp on a hot summer day with these new tires to be normal. But you have LT tires, so not sure how much difference in temp you can expect.

Most of this info provided you probably already know. But hopefully it helps out some. You could also calll Goodyear and ask to speak to their ST tire rep. He also seemed to be knowledgeable running LT on trailers.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:47 PM   #4

Unless you know the weight on each tire you need to be careful. One side can weigh considerably more than the other, I know mine does. I run my tires at max inflation on the sidewall.
00 Buckshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Also run with a TPMS, and more importantly I am looking for a tire that is running hotter than the others. They should always be within 5 or 6 degrees of one another.

That temp of 112 was on cheaper Towmax C rated tires. Have now switched over to the Endurance D rated. The old tires we ran at the max 50 psi. The new D rated are a 65 psi max tire. Iíve started out at 55 psi and will monitor this summer as we go. Even though by the load chart I can run mine down to 45 psi, that is too low IMO.

Many say to run at the tires max pressure, regardless of the load chart, which I also disagree with. Will monitor this summer and adjust pressures accordingly.

From the Goodyear rep I spoke to he would consider 100 to 110 degrees running temp on a hot summer day with these new tires to be normal. But you have LT tires, so not sure how much difference in temp you can expect.

Most of this info provided you probably already know. But hopefully it helps out some. You could also calll Goodyear and ask to speak to their ST tire rep. He also seemed to be knowledgeable running LT on trailers.
Great info, Thanks! I think I will call Goodyear. Just got a call back from Husky about my WD hitch which was very helpful.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 Buckshot View Post
Unless you know the weight on each tire you need to be careful. One side can weigh considerably more than the other, I know mine does. I run my tires at max inflation on the sidewall.
Good point. I wouldn't run at the lowest possible setting, but add in a little for margin of error, maybe 40-45. But running at 80 psi doesn't seem right.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #7

Interesting thread, I'm also in the "load chart" camp rather than the "max sidewall" camp for the most part though running too little OR too much pressure both can create problems.

I have Goodyear Endurance Load Range E tires on my ORV and even at max GVWR (which I'm probably close too), I can carry my load with 40 PSI. Sidewall on the tires and sticker on the trailer say 80psi - currently running 60 PSI. I'm going to do a chalk test and adjust from there.

Sorry, no info on temps.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 05-06-2021, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Highway speeds around me is 70-72mph in the slow lane.
I usually drive 70-80 out west when not towing a TT.
I've seen a lot of references to people with TT moving more slowly, like 60-65 mph for safety. OTOH, I think these LT tires are rated for faster speeds(?).
Old 05-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Interesting thread, I'm also in the "load chart" camp rather than the "max sidewall" camp for the most part though running too little OR too much pressure both can create problems.

I have Goodyear Endurance Load Range E tires on my ORV and even at max GVWR (which I'm probably close too), I can carry my load with 40 PSI. Sidewall on the tires and sticker on the trailer say 80psi - currently running 60 PSI. I'm going to do a chalk test and adjust from there.

Sorry, no info on temps.

2 cents,
Dave
Thanks Dave. I lowered mine to 60 on the trip back last summer after the owner of an RV park (and 40-year truck driver veteran) suggested downloading the Goodyear chart. I DL'd the wrong chart, but it was a similar range (I think down to 50psi) but I didn't feel comfortable dropping from 80 to 50 on my first trip (giving deference to the dealer who said "I always run at 80psi")
Old 05-06-2021, 04:27 PM   #10

Tire manufacturers spend loads of time and tons of money on designing and testing tires. They come up with charts that show proper loads, speeds and tire pressures. They never take into account the genius on some random forum that says add 20% to whatever the tire experts say. Nor do they account for the old veteran that always runs them at max sidewall pressures. Me, I never take the advice of the forum posters unless they are advising to use the manufacturers charts.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk56 View Post
(giving deference to the dealer who said "I always run at 80psi")
Get used to the dealer being wrong about pretty much everything.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking View Post
Me, I never take the advice of the forum posters unless they are advising to use the manufacturers charts.
I agree, however as another poster mentioned you need to make sure that you're using the proper input when reading the chart, i.e. the actual wheel weights. You can't just weigh all 4 at once, divide by 4 and assume that's the weight per tire. On the other hand, if that's the best you can do, maybe adding 20% isn't completely out of line.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #13

Tire TEMPERATURE ??

Like some others have said donít get hung up on tire temperatures unless they get to 167F or more

Look for a tire which is not following the trend of the others as a way to spot dragging brakes, wheel bearing issues, or severely under inflated conditions.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:17 AM   #14

I got a simple infrared thermometer. I keep in in the door of the truck and I check temps at every stop. Tire sidewall, tread area, and hubs. As long as the temps are reasonable and close to the same on each tire, your ok. You'll get the feel about what they seem to always run after a few uses. I don't think mine is dead on but it doesn't matter. As long as they read all close to the same. If you see one heating up more than the others, then that one has an issue that needs to be looked at.

It's handy around the house too. I'll check my ac with it and other things.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-5...dDbGljaz10cnVl
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
temperature, tire

« HELP! | TV speakers »