Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

Tires, shoes, slippers, etc

2 questions:

This is the first time Iíve had to think about new tires for our camper since we got it last year. On the camper, the driverís side rear tire, the tread has worn down considerably. The rest of the other 3 are fine with plenty of tread life. I should have checked them when I got it out of storage but weather/time didnít help. I did check pressure.

I found this out after I checked tires while spring cleaning (pics attached) and if Iím doing something goofy while towing, please let me know. No real hard braking and no known stress or curbage that would have impacted just one. I got underneath and axles look straight. Is it just a bad tire, maybe out of round? The outside is bulged more than the inside. I changed to the new spare in the meantime.

In the future, what tires have worked well for you and what cost should I be looking for? Current tires have maybe 1000 miles on them. They are an ST205/75/R14 (so Iím able to refer back to the size at a later date too). Max pressure is 75lbs and Iíve kept them between 65-70 so they can grow while on the road. This one tire is no exception.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82559335-EF70-411E-AEC2-1815556355D9.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	333447   Click image for larger version

Name:	69BB610F-EA24-4827-9135-71B928B6D96F.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	435.9 KB
ID:	333448  

Grantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #2

To my untrained eye, looks like the tread is seprating from the tire... a blowout waiting to happen.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #3

Good that you found that before it bit you! Some will say the cost is not worth it but I have put Goodyear Endurance tires on two of my trailers. Last trailer went 18,000+ miles on them with no issues before I traded in the unit. The new trailer has them but only about 3,000 miles on them. Between the tires and a pressure monitoring system the money buys a lot of peace of mind. Checking tires before you hit the road only tells you how much air used to be in the tires before you got going. A tpms tells you what it is now and can eliminate all the damage that a failed tire can do to the trailer. Keep up the good inspecting as you are doing well finding problems before they find you.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get the axle alignment checked first. And then if these are the cheap OEM Chinese tires, replace them with either Goodyear Endurance or Sailun tires.

Ken
Old 06-24-2021, 07:03 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
From what I can tell in the picture, I agree it looks like tread separation. You're lucky most of the time, the first indication of a problem is when it blows out.

I would have the tire dismounted and get the advice of an in person tire professional as to whether you should look for axle problems. I'd also replace all of the tires as a set. After 3 years without incident, we had two tires blow out within a couple of hundred miles of each other. After the first blow out, we were going to replace the whole set when we got home. We couldn't find replacements in stock at our destination so we replaced the one and made plans for ordering replacements when we got back. Finally made it home on the spare. "Repairs" to the trailer cost as much as the tire and I did the repairs myself.

After a lot of research we decided to go with the Goodyear Endurance and went up a load rating from D to E. Newer versions of our trailer were shipping with E's. I want to say it was just under $700 for 4 tires total including 9% tax, disposal fees, etc... Unfortunately, we haven't traveled a lot since replacing the tires. When I replaced the set, I bought a spare rim off Amazon and had the new Chinese tire I had to buy mounted on it. Now I carry two spares, just in case...
Old 06-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #6

One of 4 tires with sever wear means wheel is not tracking. I agree, show it to an expert and plan to get the wheels aligned. Often trailer tires do not wear much ever. They age out or have various other failure modes.

Also could be brake on this wheel is dragging.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires