RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #1

To equalize (hitch) or not

ok, new question; should I use an equalizing hitch or not?

I suspect the overwhelming response will be, "of course you should" ....but here's why Im thinking maybe not; my new trailer weighs in at a dry weight of just under 5500lbs and has a GVWR of 7500lbs.....my truck is a one ton, dually, diesel, quad cab, long box with a custom heavy overload spring pack, rancho 9000 adjustable shocks and a "class V" superhitch rated at 1500 lbs deadweight.... the truck also weighs in at 8,338 lbs empty.

Yes, i know the truck is overkill for the trailer, but its what I have. I've always used wd hitches before but there are negatives ( less weight in the rear can lessen traction in slippery conditions; you sometimes need to remove the bars if you are going up or down a big dip offroad; and just the added steps to hitch and unhitch). Compared to the 4000+ lbs of my Bigfoot camper, the 600 or 700 lb tongue weight of the new trailer may not even engage the overload springs!

So, thoughts? 🙂
Dave Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2020, 07:58 PM   #2

I wouldn’t
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #3

I wouldn't waste the money. Sway control is the only question, but you will have to gauge the picker factor for yourself. My 33 footer needs the sway control the andersen hitch provides in windy situations even with a dually. Airbags handle the rear sag just fine.
JSPulliam21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:08 PM   #4

you may not need WD but you do need Sway control.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:19 PM   #5

Why does he need sway control, is his trailer loaded wrong ? I have never used a sway control device, just proper loading.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:22 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I guess Ill just try it for myself and see; Im guessing that my truck is so far beyond what the trailers minimum requirements are for a tv, that sway is unlikely to be an issue. I also have a 24' wells cargo car trailer, a 17' car trailer, two job trailers and two utility trailers and we dont use a wd hitch on any of them.

If I think a wd hitch will give me more advantages than disadvantages, I'll get one....so far, I'm not sure and I'm aware that my situation is at the far end of the spectrum with a modified dually, long wheelbase truck sporting a 1200 lb motor on the front axle and a relatively small 24' tt.

If the axle weights arent an issue but sway contol is, then a dedicated sway reduction device may be a better choice?
Old 11-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #7

I have always towed with a dually. For 4 years I had a 27' V nose TT that usually weighed about 7k.

I know it is not the same but I have a 24', 14k equipment trailer and I have hauled just about everything you can image.

I have never used anything other then a ball hitch and never felt like I needed more.
Nwcid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Why does he need sway control, is his trailer loaded wrong ? I have never used a sway control device, just proper loading.
The Outdoors Rv 21 RDS I just bought is supposedly great for towing between the Northwood frame, gas shocks and goodyear load range E tires...
Dave Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #9

When i had my dually i had a KZ 28bhs and towed an enclosed trailer behind it. I had a wd hitch but did not use the bars at first but got tired of people telling me i needed them when i stopped somewhere so i used them and hook the chain so that they did nothing.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #10

It just amazes me the number of RVers that don't know the difference between Weight Distribution and Sway Control. Just amazing. One is up and down. One is left and right.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #11

truck wise your good for the weight , sway wise your would benifit from a good hitch. Knowing you have a lot more truck then you need I would not run the same bars as a 1/2 ton needs. your truck will not need the added weight on the front tires but the bars will have more pre load if they are slightly lighter spec and not cause a rough ride. I think 700-800 lb bars will help take the twichy feeling out of the trailer on cross winds or passing 18 wheelers.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:34 AM   #12

I towed a 6,500lb wet trailer with a dually truck. I never felt any sway. I probably towed this trailer 2,500 miles just hooked to the bump pull ball. Never felt any sway or that I needed a WDH.

I will add a WDH will reduce some of the bouncy feeling going over railroad tracks as it does tie the trailer and truck together better than just the hitch ball.

Try it - I think you will be good to go. Your dually truck has built in sway control with that wide rear.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #13

Its the trailer that sways, not the truck. The truck really doesn't matter when it comes to sway. The truck will have some control over push from passing vehicles though.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #14

As others, no problem with the weight, sway, is a maybe, maybe not, odds are not. Take it for a drive on a windy day, it will be yes, or no.
My TT is 26 foot, 7,500 lbs, I tow with a 2500 diesel, I don't need weight, but ended up putting one brake style sway on, then added second, and no sway at all.
Good friend has a 25 foot with slide, tows with 1500,, no weight or sway, has no problems, from top of MN to bottom of FL and back.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch