Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2022, 07:51 AM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use my CC 100% of the time & cancel when approaching city limits..Which is why I'm currently hunting down my issue with the CC & what sensor threw the amber CEL to disengage it. Scangauge gave me a ID 151 fault code for an ATC problem but my coach doesn't have ATC...just ABS. It's not a Smart Wheel problem since the CC switches allows the PTO function to work. I need my CC back ASAP!
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #16

I use cruise control all the time. 2022 HD3500 Duramax. The cruise, engine brake and transmission all work together. I went down the Mogollon Rim in Az. between Flagstaff and Camp Verde on I-17 at 55 mph and never touched the accelerator or brake. This with a 16,000 toy hauler. It is about 18 miles of 5 to 7 percent grades and goes from an elevation of about 5500 ft. to almost sea level.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:06 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
No need to turn the cruise off, simply select which gear you want.

Agreed, you don't HAVE TO. But fuel consumption will be quite a lot higher if you leave it on cruise which immediately goes to WOT.

Off cruise it is easy to climb a grade at around 80% throttle-- loose a little speed, but save fuel vs 100% throttle.

Certainly the individual driver's choice. But you do have to make a decision (even by default) between maintaining speed and MPG.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:33 AM   #18

we are not towing a trailer but are in a Class A diesel with a toad. We use cc whenever traffic allows. Occasionally turn off on long upgrades. Something to keep in mind on a long or steep downgrade is that cruise won't engage the trailer brakes. Doesn't make much difference with our 35,000 # MH and a Jeep toad but with a TT or 5th wheel it easily could turn bad quickly.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, cruise control is on until we hit the rolling hills and steeper inclines. Also, do not run cruise control in the rain or wet streets.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Currently FOR SALE Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #20

I use cruise in tow/haul mode on flat or rolling terrain. I never want the tranny to shift to a low gear inducing high rpm’s, so on steep hills, I dump the cruise. Similarly on a steep downhill, for safety, I always disengage cruise.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:20 PM   #21

I did a pretty extensive test over many trips comparing MPG and cost per mile using both regular and high octane fuel. Although my MPG was a bit better using a higher octane fuel, the cost per mile was about the same. Since it hurts right now filling up at the pump, I went back to using regular gas when towing, as the bottom line didn't change.

Also - I was always told NOT to use CC when towing. Not sure why, just what I always believed. Now that I've read the overwhelming responses, it may be time to reevaluate.
Souljourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
Also - I was always told NOT to use CC when towing. Not sure why, just what I always believed. Now that I've read the overwhelming responses, it may be time to reevaluate.

Suspect the answer will depend on TERRAIN. I 10 across Louisiana and east Texas-- absolutely, cruise control is the answer.

I 10 in the hill country of Texas-- NO.

Significant grades (up or down)-- NO.

There is no correct single answer.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:09 PM   #23

We definitely use cruise control when towing with our Tesla and specifically traffic aware cruise control. Especially in heavy traffic and stop and go traffic. Keeps a safe distance and is an extra level of safety in case of distraction.

Jmho.
radar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:13 AM   #24

Cruise control or not, use the Tow/Haul Ford has provided. No need to lock this or select that. Back on topic, cruise control has its place but I don't care for it in heavy traffic, hills or wet roads. You'll find what makes you comfortable.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Looking for some input on using cruise control as opposed to using the Mk I foot control. Any suggestion when to or when not to use the cruise control and when to switch over to the manual Mk 1 Foot control. My tow Vehicle is a 2015 F-150 XLT 2.7L Eco-boost and my TT is a 2012 Cruiser RV FunFinder X 210 UDS. Hoping to cut down on the cost of fuel by keeping the speed at a constant number but worried about traveling over steep inclines and descent's and the effect it may have on the engine. Also was wondering about fuel. How many of you that a TT haulers use regular as opposed to premium gas on long trips? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
For years (decades) I lived by the maxim that cruise control provided the best fuel mileage. However, I have discovered that I get better mileage leaving it turned off. Not just better, significantly better. I imagine part of the reason is I can anticipate ascents while the cruise control cannot. Knowing a climb is coming up I can gently accelerate before starting up and can then actually coast a bit before the crest is reaches.
When I do use the cruise control, if I forget it's set and the rig starts a steep downhill, my truck can (and has) jumped from sixth gear to second gear to maintain it's speed as if that's not enough simply turning off the cruise won't release it from it's screaming descent. I have to actually accelerate going downhill to force an upshift and get the needle out of the redline.
I've also found that if I set the cruise control a few MPH below my target speed, let the truck achieve that speed then increase the setting one "+" at a time, I can get to the target speed without increasing engine RPMs.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Agreed, you don't HAVE TO. But fuel consumption will be quite a lot higher if you leave it on cruise which immediately goes to WOT.

Off cruise it is easy to climb a grade at around 80% throttle-- loose a little speed, but save fuel vs 100% throttle.

Certainly the individual driver's choice. But you do have to make a decision (even by default) between maintaining speed and MPG.
What is this about WOT ? Not when I shift down.
CamperLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 03:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Yep, cruise control is on until we hit the rolling hills and steeper inclines. Also, do not run cruise control in the rain or wet streets.

Ken
Why not use CC while raining ? Funny, owners manual says nothing about it. Old wives tale.
Old 05-07-2022, 03:18 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souljourner View Post
I did a pretty extensive test over many trips comparing MPG and cost per mile using both regular and high octane fuel. Although my MPG was a bit better using a higher octane fuel, the cost per mile was about the same. Since it hurts right now filling up at the pump, I went back to using regular gas when towing, as the bottom line didn't change.

Too bad someone told you that. We are talking about at least semi-modern TV's now.

Tags
cruise control