Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2022, 07:05 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
Anyone who swerves or panic brakes to miss an animal on the road values that animals' life more than their own or the passengers'. Not smart.
Drivers swerve and panic brake to avoid wrecking, vehicle damage, and hopefully last on the list, to avoid injuring or killing an animal. And often, it is a reflex. Sometimes it is a reflex a split-second before a decision is made about the best course of action.
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2022, 11:42 AM   #72

Like all emergencies, practice, practice, practice to react the right way in an emergency.

Of course in this situation...all you can do is think all day long of exactly what you would do if a deer bolted in front of you.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:13 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike91eagle View Post
Just wondering, how do you get the weight transfer to begin without using the brakes?

And as for the open throttle, doesn't the cruise cancel closing the throttle the instant you touch the brakes?
Very minor weight transfer begins as soon as you let off the throttle at highway speeds. Yes the cruise control shuts off when you touch the brakes but there is a momentary instant that you are braking while on the throttle in an emergency reaction situation. In the dry itís not really an issue but in the rain when traction is compromised it can be an issue hence the reason your not supposed to use cc in the rain.
Sv Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 06:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Looking for some input on using cruise control as opposed to using the Mk I foot control. Any suggestion when to or when not to use the cruise control and when to switch over to the manual Mk 1 Foot control. My tow Vehicle is a 2015 F-150 XLT 2.7L Eco-boost and my TT is a 2012 Cruiser RV FunFinder X 210 UDS. Hoping to cut down on the cost of fuel by keeping the speed at a constant number but worried about traveling over steep inclines and descent's and the effect it may have on the engine. Also was wondering about fuel. How many of you that a TT haulers use regular as opposed to premium gas on long trips? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't use CC while towing, when the road is wet,
while descending a grade, or if the road is windy.
The exception is when I'm towing down a relatively
straight flat highway, then I might kick it on.
Towing is work, and I treat it as such.
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:54 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
You seem like a man with common sense. Be careful here. Lots lack it and will redicule you for it.
Oh, I know it!...
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:01 PM   #76

Well, I don’t know if it’s a binary answer. If the vehicle has TACC (traffic aware cruise control) and a trailer tow mode when cruise is on then one would be crazy not to use it…unless conditions are slippery. The safety factor would be much higher with it on. Automatic distance keeping to the vehicle in front (great in heavy traffic) and trailer tow mode usually has anti sway function. So much depends on the tech on the vehicle. We never tow without it unless it’s slippery.

Jmho.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 05:36 AM   #77

Ford Super Duty Owner
For me, as usual, it depends.

If I'm surrounded by lots of traffic, then no. If I'm on non mountainous roads without a lot of traffic, then yes. Mountainous roads, then no. Wet roads, then no.

This applies whether I'm towing or not.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control