Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2022, 09:15 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: QC
Posts: 26
To Use Cruise Control on Not to Use Cruise Control That is the Question

Looking for some input on using cruise control as opposed to using the Mk I foot control. Any suggestion when to or when not to use the cruise control and when to switch over to the manual Mk 1 Foot control. My tow Vehicle is a 2015 F-150 XLT 2.7L Eco-boost and my TT is a 2012 Cruiser RV FunFinder X 210 UDS. Hoping to cut down on the cost of fuel by keeping the speed at a constant number but worried about traveling over steep inclines and descent's and the effect it may have on the engine. Also was wondering about fuel. How many of you that a TT haulers use regular as opposed to premium gas on long trips? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Randall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2022, 09:45 AM   #2
Member
 
Firewrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 82
I use CC a lot in all my vehicles. In the Super C coach, I use it to prevent the unconscious speeding up due to my heavy foot. I turn it off on big hills for obvious reasons.
In the car I use it on freeway when traffic conditions allow.
On the motorcycle, I use it a lot on open stretches and freeway to take the load off my 66 year old wrist. Itís kind of worn out from pulling wrenches for 40 yearsÖ

In my opinion CC really reduces driver fatigue when you are driving for hours, no matter what vehicle.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
sirtate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 336
I use it as often as possible...
If I am running down a twisty 2 lane, I will run the pedal.
But any interstate work, the cruise is used unless traffic speed is variable...

When towing on a big road, I will set my cruise at ~65mph and let traffic find their way around me. Most semi-trucks around here are governed at 65, so I just take my place in between the Big-Boys, and tweak the cruise to match their speed.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,840
100% CC on until I hit mtn passes. I have a diesel so it will power down and hold the speed better without downshifting very often on hills.
On mtn passes it's just not very doable unless the grades are long and consistent.
On constant up and down sections I turn it off.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 290
I'll use cruise control while towing if I'm on a relatively flat stretch without much traffic. I don't try to use it with hills. As far as the regular gas vs. premium, if your vehicle doesn't require it (mine doesn't), I don't think you would see any benefit from premium gas.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
dizcom's Avatar


 
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 1,315
We towed with our F-150s and generally used the cruise control under the same circumstances as when just driving it without towing. I think the manual for the eco-boost says to use premium while towing, but we never did.
__________________
2021 Holiday Rambler Armada 44LE
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude toad w/Ready Brute Elite II
dizcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
sirtate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
We towed with our F-150s and generally used the cruise control under the same circumstances as when just driving it without towing. I think the manual for the eco-boost says to use premium while towing, but we never did.
I've got a 3.5eb.
The only thing I've noticed difference between 87 octane and 92 when towing is fuel economy. (Which could be attributed to ethanol concentration)

My understanding is;
A direct injection engine doesn't get pre-ignition like a port injection engine because there isn't fuel to ignite before the injector goes off, just before the sparkplug fires.

The manual says that 87 octane is acceptable, although at lowered performance levels.
(But I think it is only asking for 89 for best performance? Is that correct?)
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,362
Yup, flat ground or even mildly rolling hills= cruise control.


Real grades (up or down) and I choose the gear/RPM and throttle position.


And on descent, choose a gear that keeps you speed in equilibrium without use of service brakes.


And, if the transmission is "hunting", turn off cruise and select a gear and throttle position that will keep it in a single gear rather than up/down/up/down shifting.
__________________
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38FDDS. Ex: 1997 Safari Sahara. Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 09:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Gigattime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Yup, flat ground or even mildly rolling hills= cruise control.


Real grades (up or down) and I choose the gear/RPM and throttle position.


And on descent, choose a gear that keeps you speed in equilibrium without use of service brakes.


And, if the transmission is "hunting", turn off cruise and select a gear and throttle position that will keep it in a single gear rather than up/down/up/down shifting.
Same
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:43 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Monrovia, CA
Posts: 873
I use it all the time. I can't imagine life without my adaptive cruise. On the freeway while towing I will lock in behind a semi knowing nobody will cut in front of me. It makes towing very relaxing.
__________________
Gammel - 2020 ORV Backcountry 21RWS
2021 F350 Diesel Platinum Tremor
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:33 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Looking for some input on using cruise control as opposed to using the Mk I foot control. Any suggestion when to or when not to use the cruise control and when to switch over to the manual Mk 1 Foot control. My tow Vehicle is a 2015 F-150 XLT 2.7L Eco-boost and my TT is a 2012 Cruiser RV FunFinder X 210 UDS. Hoping to cut down on the cost of fuel by keeping the speed at a constant number but worried about traveling over steep inclines and descent's and the effect it may have on the engine. Also was wondering about fuel. How many of you that a TT haulers use regular as opposed to premium gas on long trips? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I hope you are locking out 5th and 6th gears with your 6R80 tranny. You should be doing that and using tow/haul or use manual mode. You can use cruise while doing either. There is no need to be in overdrive while towing a TT. 5th and 6th are both OD. Set the cruise and shift down as needed, then back to 4th as needed, whether in tow/haul or manual. It helps to have a boost gauge. When you see boost pressure rising, like when you start uphill, simply shift down to 3rd. You should be using 93 octane fuel when towing. The engine can safely rev to over 6000 RPM's. If you enjoy camping and towing that TT, you cannot worry about MPG. Makes no sense to do so. You will get somewhere around 8 to 12 MPG while towing.
__________________
2021 Rockwood 2614BS
CamperLifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:35 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergle View Post
I'll use cruise control while towing if I'm on a relatively flat stretch without much traffic. I don't try to use it with hills. As far as the regular gas vs. premium, if your vehicle doesn't require it (mine doesn't), I don't think you would see any benefit from premium gas.
His vehicle does not require 'premium' gas but has alot more power available with 93 octane than with 87 and variable in-between with 89, 91, etc.
__________________
2021 Rockwood 2614BS
CamperLifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:37 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
I've got a 3.5eb.
The only thing I've noticed difference between 87 octane and 92 when towing is fuel economy. (Which could be attributed to ethanol concentration)

My understanding is;
A direct injection engine doesn't get pre-ignition like a port injection engine because there isn't fuel to ignite before the injector goes off, just before the sparkplug fires.

The manual says that 87 octane is acceptable, although at lowered performance levels.
(But I think it is only asking for 89 for best performance? Is that correct?)
Not correct. 93 is what Ford prefers to be used while towing over 5000 pounds.
__________________
2021 Rockwood 2614BS
CamperLifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 01:38 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Yup, flat ground or even mildly rolling hills= cruise control.


Real grades (up or down) and I choose the gear/RPM and throttle position.


And on descent, choose a gear that keeps you speed in equilibrium without use of service brakes.


And, if the transmission is "hunting", turn off cruise and select a gear and throttle position that will keep it in a single gear rather than up/down/up/down shifting.
No need to turn the cruise off, simply select which gear you want.
__________________
2021 Rockwood 2614BS
CamperLifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruise control



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruise King cruise control Old Car Nut Country Coach Owners Forum 2 10-23-2019 11:25 PM
How I Use The PRXB Exhaust Brake & Cruise Control on My Windsor Dr4Film Monaco Owner's Forum 46 11-26-2016 03:42 PM
Eco Cruise Cruise Control LSepulveda iRV2.com General Discussion 6 03-30-2016 06:52 AM
Cruise Control/Wiper Control/Bright Light Control cnjcampione Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 2 05-21-2011 07:38 PM
Cruise Cruise Not Maintaining Speed ep35rja Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 9 05-24-2006 10:58 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.