Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2022, 09:15 AM   #1

To Use Cruise Control on Not to Use Cruise Control That is the Question

Looking for some input on using cruise control as opposed to using the Mk I foot control. Any suggestion when to or when not to use the cruise control and when to switch over to the manual Mk 1 Foot control. My tow Vehicle is a 2015 F-150 XLT 2.7L Eco-boost and my TT is a 2012 Cruiser RV FunFinder X 210 UDS. Hoping to cut down on the cost of fuel by keeping the speed at a constant number but worried about traveling over steep inclines and descent's and the effect it may have on the engine. Also was wondering about fuel. How many of you that a TT haulers use regular as opposed to premium gas on long trips? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Randall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2022, 09:45 AM   #2

I use CC a lot in all my vehicles. In the Super C coach, I use it to prevent the unconscious speeding up due to my heavy foot. I turn it off on big hills for obvious reasons.
In the car I use it on freeway when traffic conditions allow.
On the motorcycle, I use it a lot on open stretches and freeway to take the load off my 66 year old wrist. It’s kind of worn out from pulling wrenches for 40 years…

In my opinion CC really reduces driver fatigue when you are driving for hours, no matter what vehicle.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #3

I use it as often as possible...
If I am running down a twisty 2 lane, I will run the pedal.
But any interstate work, the cruise is used unless traffic speed is variable...

When towing on a big road, I will set my cruise at ~65mph and let traffic find their way around me. Most semi-trucks around here are governed at 65, so I just take my place in between the Big-Boys, and tweak the cruise to match their speed.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #4

100% CC on until I hit mtn passes. I have a diesel so it will power down and hold the speed better without downshifting very often on hills.
On mtn passes it's just not very doable unless the grades are long and consistent.
On constant up and down sections I turn it off.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #5

I'll use cruise control while towing if I'm on a relatively flat stretch without much traffic. I don't try to use it with hills. As far as the regular gas vs. premium, if your vehicle doesn't require it (mine doesn't), I don't think you would see any benefit from premium gas.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 11:48 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We towed with our F-150s and generally used the cruise control under the same circumstances as when just driving it without towing. I think the manual for the eco-boost says to use premium while towing, but we never did.
Old 05-03-2022, 12:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
We towed with our F-150s and generally used the cruise control under the same circumstances as when just driving it without towing. I think the manual for the eco-boost says to use premium while towing, but we never did.
I've got a 3.5eb.
The only thing I've noticed difference between 87 octane and 92 when towing is fuel economy. (Which could be attributed to ethanol concentration)

My understanding is;
A direct injection engine doesn't get pre-ignition like a port injection engine because there isn't fuel to ignite before the injector goes off, just before the sparkplug fires.

The manual says that 87 octane is acceptable, although at lowered performance levels.
(But I think it is only asking for 89 for best performance? Is that correct?)
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:04 PM   #8

Yup, flat ground or even mildly rolling hills= cruise control.

Real grades (up or down) and I choose the gear/RPM and throttle position.

And on descent, choose a gear that keeps you speed in equilibrium without use of service brakes.

And, if the transmission is "hunting", turn off cruise and select a gear and throttle position that will keep it in a single gear rather than up/down/up/down shifting.
Old 05-03-2022, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

And on descent, choose a gear that keeps you speed in equilibrium without use of service brakes.

And, if the transmission is "hunting", turn off cruise and select a gear and throttle position that will keep it in a single gear rather than up/down/up/down shifting.
Same
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 10:43 PM   #10

I use it all the time. I can't imagine life without my adaptive cruise. On the freeway while towing I will lock in behind a semi knowing nobody will cut in front of me. It makes towing very relaxing.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
Looking for some input on using cruise control as opposed to using the Mk I foot control. Any suggestion when to or when not to use the cruise control and when to switch over to the manual Mk 1 Foot control. My tow Vehicle is a 2015 F-150 XLT 2.7L Eco-boost and my TT is a 2012 Cruiser RV FunFinder X 210 UDS. Hoping to cut down on the cost of fuel by keeping the speed at a constant number but worried about traveling over steep inclines and descent's and the effect it may have on the engine. Also was wondering about fuel. How many of you that a TT haulers use regular as opposed to premium gas on long trips? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I hope you are locking out 5th and 6th gears with your 6R80 tranny. You should be doing that and using tow/haul or use manual mode. You can use cruise while doing either. There is no need to be in overdrive while towing a TT. 5th and 6th are both OD. Set the cruise and shift down as needed, then back to 4th as needed, whether in tow/haul or manual. It helps to have a boost gauge. When you see boost pressure rising, like when you start uphill, simply shift down to 3rd. You should be using 93 octane fuel when towing. The engine can safely rev to over 6000 RPM's. If you enjoy camping and towing that TT, you cannot worry about MPG. Makes no sense to do so. You will get somewhere around 8 to 12 MPG while towing.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergle View Post
I'll use cruise control while towing if I'm on a relatively flat stretch without much traffic. I don't try to use it with hills. As far as the regular gas vs. premium, if your vehicle doesn't require it (mine doesn't), I don't think you would see any benefit from premium gas.
His vehicle does not require 'premium' gas but has alot more power available with 93 octane than with 87 and variable in-between with 89, 91, etc.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
I've got a 3.5eb.
The only thing I've noticed difference between 87 octane and 92 when towing is fuel economy. (Which could be attributed to ethanol concentration)

My understanding is;
A direct injection engine doesn't get pre-ignition like a port injection engine because there isn't fuel to ignite before the injector goes off, just before the sparkplug fires.

The manual says that 87 octane is acceptable, although at lowered performance levels.
(But I think it is only asking for 89 for best performance? Is that correct?)
Not correct. 93 is what Ford prefers to be used while towing over 5000 pounds.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

No need to turn the cruise off, simply select which gear you want.

Tags
cruise control