Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 08:30 AM   #1

Toilet explosion

Spent several days camping with no hook ups using on board tanks and water pump with no problems. Pulled into a KOA yesterday and hooked up to pressure water. Went to use the toilet and it blew crap out the bowl and all over me and everything in sight. Spent several hours cleaning everything up then tried to figure out what happened. It seems that when I am hooked up to city water the toilet is letting water into the black water tank so once it is full the bowl starts to fill up. Not sure of that this is the problem but since it works fine on the water pump I wont try to fix anything until I get home in a couple of weeks.Do I need a new toilet or is it something else? ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 08:39 AM   #2

First, diagnose the problem.

Do you have a black tank flush that could be letting shore water in when on shore water? Easy to see if this is, or is at least contributing to your problem. If the black tank is full after you emptied it, water is getting in somehow.

And, your description is more than "the tank is just full and ran out the toilet". Was it really under pressure (air, not just water)?

If the black tank is not full of water, that suggests a VENT problem. The tank should be vented so zero pressure can build up.

So, check your tank vent-- likely through the roof. If no vent, it is possible that even without any water entering that pressure could build during the day.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
First, diagnose the problem.

Do you have a black tank flush that could be letting shore water in when on shore water? Easy to see if this is, or is at least contributing to your problem. If the black tank is full after you emptied it, water is getting in somehow.

And, your description is more than "the tank is just full and ran out the toilet". Was it really under pressure (air, not just water)?

If the black tank is not full of water, that suggests a VENT problem. The tank should be vented so zero pressure can build up.

So, check your tank vent-- likely through the roof. If no vent, it is possible that even without any water entering that pressure could build during the day.
Thanks for quick response. Yes it was under pressure, not just water..
Tank is ventet. Dont think this is problem as it worked fine for a week with the water pump.

Once I had everything cleaned up and the black tank empty I hooked back up to city water and after about1 10 minutes the black tank filled up and started to fill the toilet. I dumped again and since then have been using water pump with no problems so far. Will be out of internet coverage until I get home so will read all replies and hopefully find the answer then.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

Do you have a black tank rinse? Does it connect through the city water inlet?

That is the only way I can see water getting from shore water into the black tank. Were it through a leaking toilet valve, the toilet would overflow, but water would not get into the tank.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #5

You may have hooked the "city water" up to the "flush" inlet.

I've been Rv'ing for 50 + years, and have owned a KOA in Colorado for 10+ years, and I have NEVER hooked up to "city water" at any campground !

I always fill the water tank and run off my pump.

I can only imagine what your bathroom looked like after the explosion.
Do you have pictures for us ?

Mike in Colorado
Old 06-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #6

I just rinsed out my bathroom yesterday in preparation for dumping the tanks since were not going anywhere for a little while. This was at home, with a long garden hose, with a little shutoff valve near the end and a couple of feet of extra hose. The air in the hose forced a splash that took me off guard, and gave me and the walls a bit of a shower. Not as bad as yours, as it was clean water, but the toilet bowl wasnt clean, so theres that.

If your city connection hose or internal pipe work were full of air and connected to black tank flush, I could certainly understand how youd have an explosive event (shower of sadness) and fill the tank, too.

Just something to consider.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
I can only imagine what your bathroom looked like after the explosion.
Do you have pictures for us ?

Mike in Colorado

Oh, Mike-- that just ain't rite.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #8

Doesn't hurt to ask.
You never know............

Mike
Old 06-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you hooked up to shore water did you shut off the pump? I ask because you said the toilet filled up...meaning the flapper was opened- filling both the tank and then toilet. Always turn the pump off and make sure the diverter valve is selected to "normal"...(not tank fill). That's how my rig is set up- you probably have something similar. Hope you find the problem- toilet explosions ruin camping.
Old 06-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #10

Connected to Flush System...not city water

Black tank FILLED due to continuous flow of water into the balck tank via Flush System

Tank filled.........blocked tank vent to roof and if toilet had NOT been opened you would have had a POOP Fountain raining down from roof of RV...easier to clean

But that is what happened.......
Black tank was overfilled due to water flowing thru the Flush System
*No other way for Black Tank to fill/overfill/pressurize so fast
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by B RAD View Post
... Went to use the toilet and it blew crap out the bowl and all over me and everything in sight ... It seems that when I am hooked up to city water the toilet is letting water into the black water tank so once it is full the bowl starts to fill up. Not sure of that this is the problem but since it works fine on the water pump ...
I saw this same thing happen once before. Back in 2005 we had a contract with a potable water supplier to fill water tanks right behind a "honey wagon" sucked the black/gray tanks clean. The contractor mistakenly hooked the potable water hose to the black tank flush inlet instead of the water tank fill inlet. The results were the black tank water built up all the way up the vent pipe and started to flow out the vent! The worker saw what was happening and rushed inside the VERY expensive motorhome and stepped on the toilet flush pedal and Whoosh, water from the black tank flooded the bathroom and part of the living room. That is when he remembered he was still pumping water into the RV!

Moral to the story is make sure you connect the water hose to the correct inlet port!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Connected to Flush System...not city water

Black tank FILLED due to continuous flow of water into the balck tank via Flush System

Tank filled.........blocked tank vent to roof and if toilet had NOT been opened you would have had a POOP Fountain raining down from roof of RV...easier to clean

But that is what happened.......
Black tank was overfilled due to water flowing thru the Flush System
*No other way for Black Tank to fill/overfill/pressurize so fast
Agreed, that has to be what happened. Easy mistake to make. If his connections are like mine, they're right next to each other.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Years ago, I had a camper that has the Tedford cassette toilet. One time we traveled from early morning until later during the day, we had some waste in the toilet. The outside temp went up about 25-30 degrees. When I stopped and use the toilet, I first flushed to get the bowl wet for #2. As pressing a huge gush of air was released. I would have had a big mess, if I had a full pot after doing my business.

Not sure if it was air expansion from heat, or methane buildup. But from that point forward I always press the flush just a little before using the pot, I would have had a mess if I had a full pot after doing my business.

Note: The Tedford cassette had a small relief or vent valve that you closed when transporting to dump. I think my issue was the valve was closed where it should have been open. My mess up.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
Years ago, I had a camper that has the Tedford cassette toilet. One time we traveled from early morning until later during the day, we had some waste in the toilet. The outside temp went up about 25-30 degrees. When I stopped and use the toilet, I first flushed to get the bowl wet for #2. As pressing a huge gush of air was released. I would have had a big mess, if I had a full pot after doing my business.

Not sure if it was air expansion from heat, or methane buildup. But from that point forward I always press the flush just a little before using the pot, I would have had a mess if I had a full pot after doing my business.

Note: The Tedford cassette had a small relief or vent valve that you closed when transporting to dump. I think my issue was the valve was closed where it should have been open. My mess up.
Maybe when traveling to different altitudes, your first flush after reaching the destination should be made with the lid closed

I noticed recently when I took a trip from sea level up to about five thousand feet, when I went to take a sip out of my insulated and sealed car cup with a straw in it, it kind of exploded on me. As I was driving water was being forced up into the straw.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet