Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Yikes!!!!!!!
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #16

TP test results

This was posted on another forum. It is not my test, and I can't verify any of it, just repeating what I read. I use what is on sale and have had no problems.
The test was a couple of sheets of TP in a half jar of water. Various brands and seconds required for them to disintegrate.
Charmin Plus 1 ply 9
Coronet 2 ply 12
Angel Soft 2 ply 12
Scott 1 ply 17
Soft n Gentle 1 ply 18
Soft Weave 1 ply 20
Soft n Gentle 2 ply 21
Quilted Northern Super 2 ply 69
Charmin Ultra 2 77
Cottonelle 1 ply 96
Charmin 1 ply 180
TooLate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use Angel Soft...a few yers ago when we got our first RV my wife did a test...put a couple sheets (not sure how many, but an equal amount) of RV T.P. in a bottle with water and several other brands in other bottles. And let them sit and did it again with a light amount of agitation...Angel Soft actually broke down quicker than the RV T.P.

Just out thoughts!
wrongwayknt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #18

I have a question. The recommendation is to not dump the black tank unless it is more than 1/2 full. So... if we use the camper for a long weekend, but it is NOT more than 1/2 full, is it ok to just leave the contents in the tank? Or should we just put more water into the tank to bring it up over 1/2 full? And, if we leave the contents in the tank, how long can you safely do that?
Thanks
csteffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by csteffee View Post
I have a question. The recommendation is to not dump the black tank unless it is more than 1/2 full. So... if we use the camper for a long weekend, but it is NOT more than 1/2 full, is it ok to just leave the contents in the tank? Or should we just put more water into the tank to bring it up over 1/2 full? And, if we leave the contents in the tank, how long can you safely do that?
Thanks
Some might say it's OK to leave the contents but I won't do it. I just add water to the tank to get it near full before dumping. Then I add several gallons of fresh water and THAT remains in the black tank.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
The purpose of not dumping early, is to allow solids to break down as long as possible. 2-3 days is usually long enough. Adding extra water before dumpng is always a good idea to help force out any recent un-disolved solids.

I would have no problem leaving a black tank at any level until such time it may freeze. However, it seems rather silly to carry an extra 2 - 300lbs on your way home, especially if can dump before you leave.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #21

My black tank sensor is stuck on 3/4, even when empty. I filled it completely full with 3 packets of detergent and let it sit for a few hour, then drained it. Still on 3/4, and it didn't even get to full when it was full to the mouth of the toilet.

I then stuck my wand down the toilet on city water and aimed it at every corner and up and down. No change. I aimed it out in the yard, and it shot a good 15-20 feet thru a 3/16" hole at 90° from vertical. I filled it again and will let it sit for several days.

It that doesn't work, how many bags of ice do I need or how much Rid-X?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Dunner,

I think the detergent was a good idea, I just think you should have left it in for a day or two.

As far as the Rid-X route, I would use a whole box ($7-$8). For best results, use as warm of water as you can, just not hot. Then I would desolve 2 cups of sugar and add that. The warm water and sugar will speed up the bacteria a action.

There is another product called RV Digest-it, made by Unique. It's a more concentrated form and is a liquid. Either one you use, I would let it set for 2 days, just to be sure.

Never did the ice thing. Seems like yould need a lot and have to drive around through the whole process.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ditto here. Just a word to the wise though.... Never.... I say NEVER, try to multi task when filling the black tank with fresh water via the San T Flush!
Don't ask me how I know but, if you forget it for just a few minutes, you can end up with a Robin Williams type of experience.

Rick
Been there, done that. Mine went up the vent pipe and on the roof. UGG

BTW, we use Quilted Northern, another tip. Don't leave black tank valve open, leave it closed until about 3/4 full then dump and use the flushout.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Helpful info.
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Hammer Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #25

clyon51, I'm going to re-fill it and let it sit with water softener and detergent. I don't plan on going anyplace soon, so it can sit for awhile. Thx for the hints and link to the GEO method. I just hope it is not a wiring problem. The fresh doesn't show full when it is either.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
yea, could be a wiring or sensor problem. When I have something pop-up like this, I crawl under the rig and take a look. My 2 Jack Russels love to pull on wires trying to chase chipmunks under there, the little buggers!
Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
Traveling solo I used a ziplock bag for tp so no tp went in the toilet. I can camp for two weeks without dumping my black tank. It makes a big difference. My husband and I traveled more than camped so we didn't have to worry too much about full tanks. We always filled both tanks to full before dumping.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #28

The closest store didn't have the liquid Rid-x, so I bought the box and dissolved it best I could and added the sugar. Doesn't dissolve easy, even in hot water. Hot it works.