Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 PM   #15

Math aside (I both understand and agree with the Equal-i-zer rep) I did not have a good experience with the equal-I-zer towing my 34’ loft TT and switched to the Andersen. The Andersen is a night and day improvement here in windy NM and I would encourage you to at least give them a look.
As for sizing, I would figure out what percentage the dry tongue weight is in relation to the dry weight of the trailer. I would then apply that percentage to the maximum GVWR of the trailer. That should give you a decent ball park. If that number is within 500lbs of the max capacity of the hitch, I’d go to the next size up. Also keep in mind that you are going to have to have decent idea of what drop or rise you are going to need.
Also, verify with the dealer whether the coupler is a 2 or 2 5/16.
RichNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNM View Post
Math aside (I both understand and agree with the Equal-i-zer rep) I did not have a good experience with the equal-I-zer towing my 34’ loft TT and switched to the Andersen. The Andersen is a night and day improvement here in windy NM and I would encourage you to at least give them a look.
As for sizing, I would figure out what percentage the dry tongue weight is in relation to the dry weight of the trailer. I would then apply that percentage to the maximum GVWR of the trailer. That should give you a decent ball park. If that number is within 500lbs of the max capacity of the hitch, I’d go to the next size up. Also keep in mind that you are going to have to have decent idea of what drop or rise you are going to need.
Also, verify with the dealer whether the coupler is a 2 or 2 5/16.
Just an FYI, many folks are morally opposed to supporting Andersen lately since the family was recently caught - not really caught so much as they advertised it on social media - defacing geological features on BLM land.

Ken
Old 04-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #17

Nothing to do with WDH...... But - OMG on defacing the National Monument! I found the family 'posing' for a proud pix in front of his dastardly deed!
We have just completed a 2 month swing through AZ and UT in visiting these precious National Treasures! Everyone should consider prioritizing these Parks on their bucket lists! These Parks are "naturally eroding ............... away" and may not even be there in another million years! lol
Old 04-26-2018, 10:03 PM   #18

Tongue Weight and Weight Distribution Hitch

An Equalizer is not a very good choice among the second tier hitches. The Reese Dual Cam is the superior choice then. The rest aren’t worth the time.

The author above might want to search the RV.net archives for Steve Rankins Arctic Fox & Hensley combo he and the wife used to tour Alaska some years ago. The black ice incident should prove galvanizing.

Is the AF still on leaf springs? That needs changing to torsion flex or what MOR/ryde offers. As well, TUSON anti-lock disc brakes and electronic anti-sway.

TW isn’t complicated. Just weigh TT with full fresh water and propane. One pass across scale. Drop TT and weigh TV separate. Re-weigh as necessary.

So long as it’s 10-15% of TT weight it isn’t a mystery.

Besides. It’s a matter of restoring the TV front axle to the solo value. Not that hard.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tongue weight, weight