Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #1

Tonneau Cover

I need to buy a tonneau cover for my TV, a Ford F150. Looking for recommendations...hard or soft cover, brand, etc.
Klibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
IC2

I have a soft roll up cover with arched bows that will allow some taller items in the bed. That's the good. The bad (kinda) is that it does billow a pit while driving. I did see a multi segmented one a while back that looked good but have no clus as to brand name even after a 'net search. I personally don't care much for the tri fold hard covers but others will add thier voice and like them. The roll up in a tension roller grab bed space in the front and many are installed low on the bed rails. Some like this kind too. There are types for all needs and budgets
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the a cheaper soft cover with Velcro sides on my Silverado. After having it come off several times on a trip to NC on 95 I replaced it with a fiberglass one. Expensive ($1600) but matches the paint on the truck. Only drawback is I can’t put large things in the bed now ( couches, refrigerators etc).
It’s also an excuse for not helping friends and neighbors move.
Tjclarke696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #4

Have used soft covers on my last three 1/2 tons with no issues whatsoever. However, rarely do I carry anything in the box of value when the truck is unattended. A retractable or a roll up would offer security as well as minimize cargo space. Check the websites for Truxedo, Extang and Roll N Lock for some options.
BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a Truxedo low pro and I like it because I can still have my box rack for my kayaks. I find it versatile but one of the drawbacks is that security is pretty much out of sight out of mind.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 05:39 PM   #6

I bought a roll up soft tonneau cover with snapsalong the sides years ago. Looked good, just hated taking it off in the winter, as it was a large pain to get it back on!
I bought a new truck, and it didn't quite fit right, so I bought a tri-fold one off Amazon for about what I paid for the roll up.
It looked good and was a breeze to get on and off!
Unfortunately, last year on our way to the family reunion in St. Louis, it blew off in Illinois!!!
I guess I had just a little too much stuff in the back of the truck and some of it was pressing up onto the tonneau.
I bought another tri-fold to replace the one, because I like the look and ease of access to the back if I need it.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:26 PM   #7

I have a Leer 700 hard tonneau on my Ram 2500 MC. It looks fantastic and is very high quality with lots of features. However, I regret getting it now. At least the style. I'm on about 12 times in three years that the fiberglass tonneau has been a hinderance to what I needed accomplished. Luckily for me I also drive an F150 that is a company truck I can use 24/7/365 and I take home every night.

I do need secured bed storage so, for me, a full cap or "shell" would have been a much better option for me. Rarely do I need to move furniture size items but we use our truck for a lot of extended road trips and we pack heavy. Heavy enough that limiting our capacity to the top of the bed rails has become a PITA. A full Cap would have taken care of 99% of my needs. Just my $.02 worth.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:17 AM   #8

When I bought my new '05 Ram, (First new since '79) I wanted the bed covered. Was working at landscape material place, watched how hard some where to work with/around. Decided on a Truxedo. For over 12 years it gave good service, but had some wear on parts. Contacted the company to buy parts. They told me to send picture of purchase receipt and worn parts. 3 days later Buster Brown gave me the parts, no charge...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #9

I have a Bakflip G2. Love it. It's not perfectly dry, but I would give it 98% in a rain storm. It is removable, with a little work, if needed.
smunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #10

I have had the LUND brand on two trucks. The first was a roll-up. It was good and durable. I finally changed to the Lund trifold for two reasons: 1)Not as hot on your hands (Texas Sun) when rolling up and 2)can be folded/unfolded from the side of the truck. (roll up had to be done from inside the bed).

Both covers have a great locking system. Lund stands behind their product long after the warranty. While the soft covers are not exactly "secure" it does keep prying eyes out. For the 13 yrs I have used them I have never had a security issue.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also works good with the 5er.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #11

I also prefer a full on shell/cap, but my wife is not having it, so I've opted for a tri-fold soft cover. It is secure if the tailgate is locked, unless someone wants to cut it or something. It's been on my truck for three years, which includes lots of snow in the winter. It's light weight and and quick/easy to install or remove and can be opened from the side. Mine is an Extang but I think there are equivalent brands out there.
billyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klibber View Post
I need to buy a tonneau cover for my TV, a Ford F150. Looking for recommendations...hard or soft cover, brand, etc.
Consider the Bacflip. It's a hard cover that you can lift up individual sections to access only the part of the Pickup bed. It's also very secure for things like golf clubs and other RV necessities
krudawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:32 PM   #13

Tonneau Cover

Take a look at diamondback covers. Expensive but better quality than a typical painted hard tonneau. They even have one that can support 1400 lbs essentially giving you a flatbed on top to load stuff. They also look super tough.

I also like the Bakflip Revolver x2. It’s a hard roll up and has fairly good reviews.

Diamondback is my favorite but it just cost A LOT.

https://youtu.be/Oottht2tp6I
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:55 AM   #14

I bought this one and it’s been great. I think I paid around $250 and there was a $50 factory rebate at the time when purchased from amazon. Just like anything else, all depends on what you want to spend.

https://youtu.be/H0xr2itmIV0
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover