Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 02:38 AM   #1

Total newbie, 1st purchase

Hi, We are expats living in the EU but will be returning during the summers to the USA.

We wanted to put a TT on our property, as we have electric, water and sewer. During the spring, I wanted to drive down to Florida for a month or more.

It is my teenage son and myself for travel. The husband will be there in the summer. Therefore, bunk beds are important.

My budget is tight as I must also get a truck. In our town a woman has a 2016 Heartland Wilderness 28.5 and is asking 18K.

Here is link to one similar: https://www.red10rv.com/Pre-owned-In...-10-RV-5845060

Would this be a good first time TT purchase as I must keep it under $20K.
WyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 06:39 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
At 18k you will be over with the truck and accessories to hook everything up and make it home.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:31 AM   #3

There is an app called RV Trader, that would give you a good indication of prices of different trailers. You can get that app on your telephone and other devices, even if you don't buy through them they are a good reference point.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGal View Post
Hi, We are expats living in the EU but will be returning during the summers to the USA.

We wanted to put a TT on our property, as we have electric, water and sewer. During the spring, I wanted to drive down to Florida for a month or more.

It is my teenage son and myself for travel. The husband will be there in the summer. Therefore, bunk beds are important.

My budget is tight as I must also get a truck. In our town a woman has a 2016 Heartland Wilderness 28.5 and is asking 18K.

Here is link to one similar: https://www.red10rv.com/Pre-owned-In...-10-RV-5845060

Would this be a good first time TT purchase as I must keep it under $20K.
Assuming it is in excellent condition, it seems to be a great deal. There is a 2018 in GA at $27000

It sleeps 10.
It is a heavy TT and will require a substantial tow vehicle.
The add does not list the gross vehicle weight (GVW) of the TT, but it could be 8000#. The tongue weight may be more than 800# fully loaded.

It is going to be a big handful to tow and park for a first time TT.

Certainly get one of the inspection check lists and inspect it thoroughly. Test everything. Maybe hire an TT inspector to look it over.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
At 18k you will be over with the truck and accessories to hook everything up and make it home.
Our budget for just the caravan is $20K or under. Not including a tow vehicle. I know the tow truck is going to be a pretty penny.

I have in the past towed a boat, drove a 5th wheel on truck for about 50 miles, etc. I use to tow my horses around to shows. Coming from Wyoming I think we learn to be self sufficient and learn to drive a stick, tow and farm.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGal View Post
Our budget for just the caravan is $20K or under. Not including a tow vehicle. I know the tow truck is going to be a pretty penny.

I have in the past towed a boat, drove a 5th wheel on truck for about 50 miles, etc. I use to tow my horses around to shows. Coming from Wyoming I think we learn to be self sufficient and learn to drive a stick, tow and farm.
Alright! Then that looks like a pretty good one! I like the kitchen and fireplace. Did the seller say anything about an extended warranty or any warranty work performed?
Old 02-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I hope you have indoor storage planned as the snow load in Wyoming will be substantial. Otherwise you will need someone to come by and sweep the roof after heavy snows. Also the potential for water damage is much greater in a unit left exposed to the weather year round with no one looking after it. At a minimum roof and sidewall seams need looked at twice a year and a thorough inspection should be done before purchasing as well. Water leaks can destroy a trailer quickly and are the number one cause of damage to RVs.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #8

You might want to look into a storage canopy or shed:
https://www.ecanopy.com/rv---camper-shelters.html
Old 02-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a towables guy so can't help with that. Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st-tt2018 View Post
Alright! Then that looks like a pretty good one! I like the kitchen and fireplace. Did the seller say anything about an extended warranty or any warranty work performed?
I didn't ask that question but I will be sure I do today. Thank you for good information and questions. I had asked tyres and bearing but not all work.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I hope you have indoor storage planned as the snow load in Wyoming will be substantial. Otherwise you will need someone to come by and sweep the roof after heavy snows. Also the potential for water damage is much greater in a unit left exposed to the weather year round with no one looking after it. At a minimum roof and sidewall seams need looked at twice a year and a thorough inspection should be done before purchasing as well. Water leaks can destroy a trailer quickly and are the number one cause of damage to RVs.
You know our area well. How many times I was on my mom's roof shoveling in my life, I can't count. The snow load is extreme in Wyoming. We are going to build a concrete pad and shed for the trailer. More $$ for the budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a towables guy so can't help with that. Noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Thank you for saying hello to me, This is my first post and I wanted to make sure I read a lot before making this purchase. Happy trails to you and blessing.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:34 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glad you have a plan. If you can mostly enclose the sunny side that will help with fading and blowing snow. Seems like the sun does as much damage as water, at least to appearance and any plastics.

Good for you for learning what questions to ask before it's too late. Hope you have a great time!
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
It seems your asking for advice for "which" brands" are best for a budget under $20k. Lets face it "cheap" RV's are just that "CHEAP". You could buy a brand new RV trailer with that floor plan for under $20k.

What are your summer travel plans other than going to Florida? Staying only in full service type campgrounds or doing some off grid camping? Will this purchase be for using it the next 5 summers or longer? If your looking for using this RV unit for multiple summers, you might want to look at a used higher quality Arctic Fox or ORV unit as they have better construction components and suspensions.

When we were going to Alaska two years ago, I couple we meet a couple in MT. who was from Europe with kids. For a year they were traveling the US. They landed in the US, immediately bought a used 3/4 ton truck. Then a fairly new, used Arctic Fox trailer. Now they were at the point of selling both, to go back home.

I know this one (2014 Arctic Fox 25P) on RVtrader doesn't have a bunk bed but, this was a $35k-40k unit new and their asking $17k. Seems under priced...Used ORV (Outdoors RV) and AF will hold their value much more than a lower priced RV will.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, purchase