Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tow hitch

Looking at purchasing a new TT. Any expeirences with the Equalizer hitch?
Does it stop most of the sway. I have had a TT before and white knuckles on passing trucks. Are there better hitches that stop the sway?
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #2

What's your tow vehicle and how big of a trailer are you looking for?
Reason I ask is that some newer trucks have very good anti-sway electronics, so if yours has that and you are pulling a medium/small TT with a 2500 or 3500, sway will hardly be noticeable with any setup.

But if you have a small tow vehicle (half ton, 1500) and a medium/large TT, I would get the Hensley hitch.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 AM   #3

The Blue Ox Sway Pro is a very good hitch.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
What's your tow vehicle and how big of a trailer are you looking for?
Reason I ask is that some newer trucks have very good anti-sway electronics, so if yours has that and you are pulling a medium/small TT with a 2500 or 3500, sway will hardly be noticeable with any setup.

But if you have a small tow vehicle (half ton, 1500) and a medium/large TT, I would get the Hensley hitch.
I think the electronic anti-sway only activates under extreme conditions. Nothing I would ever want to encounter really.

Agree, Hensley or Propride are the primo anti-sway hitches, but they are expensive and relatively heavy.

Having a high % tongue weight makes for a stable tow, if your TV and hitch can handle the weight. I'm over 15% and that helps a lot.

I have an Equal-I-Zer and that definitely helps. But I'm told the Blue Ox and Reese hitches are good also.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

A properly setup TT should not sway without a sway control hitch. The hitch is only needed in the worse case scenarios. If the TT is swaying then you have issues. The EQ won't take away sway issues. A Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride will, but it too shouldn't be used as a band aide.

I can say though that after using an EQ with 4pt sway control that in my case I'd look else where. I didn't like the noise or the grease. There are other hitches out there that don't make noise and are less messy that will work as well.

BTW you're always going to get some push pull when passing semi's. It's just the nature of the game. I will say though that you won't get any with the HA or PP. They really do work as advertised. If I were to get another TT and it was on the larger side 30+' and 7500-8500lbs then I'd look for a used HA or PP.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #6

I pulled a 7500# 36' TT with a 1500 Suburban using a Equalizer. Pulled several cross country trips with minimal sway in heavy winds or semi traffic. I was comfortable with it, but I kept an eye out for a used HA or PP. I never came across a deal so I can't comment.

The noise it creates is only noticed when your making slow turns. Such as in a campground. If it bothers you, just disconnect it when you get there.

FYI...they do take some trial and error to get it adjusted to perform its best. There are several different adjustment that can be made. Direction are clear, just takes patience.
jjvallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:19 AM   #7

I have the Equal-I-Zer hitch 1200#. It is an excellent hitch. Very simple to hook up and you can back up with it! Wouldn't tow without it.
slappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm pulling a 25 footer with a Tundra and equalizer hitch. Only had one puckering incident when I was crossing the Columbia in 50 mph sidewinds and a semi roard past me. Definitely felt the cross wind when he got past. Just eased off the gas and it settled right down.
Bascoe47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'll toss in my two cents worth for the Hensley Arrow. When I first got our 25' Onyx pulling it was a white knuckle affair. Had the dealer provider "equalizer" hitch. Pulling with a Toyota Tacoma PreRunner. Walked me all over the highway and put my heart in overdrive.

Searched for, and found, a used Hensley Arrow. Got it for about a grand. Installed and fiddled with a little. All sway is gone, flat gone away not to return. I'll never tow without a Hensley again. Period.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:47 PM   #10

Towing our Minnie with an Equalizer and we don't have any sway issues and have towed it for at least 5K. We had a Hensley with our 29' Sunline, and they are a great hitch. It you're thinking of getting a long and heavy trailer, and want to be sure, the Hensley is a good choice. If $$$ is a problem, just get the right Equalizer for the load and give it a try. There's lot's of folks out there using them.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:26 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Over the years we have used the Equal-I-zer hitch on three different trailers with excellent results. Sway was never an issue and the hitch is very robust. As noted above, there are other many good choices, and the Equal-I-zer is one of the best performers.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:23 AM   #12

For what it's worth, a properly set up trailer should not sway.
If you run a lot of tongue weight and the trailer has a slightly nose-down stance, it should be rock solid.
If you are light on the hitch and the ball is too high, it will be unstable AND that weight distributing setup will make it worse.

This, IMO, is more important than the hitch system because it addresses the cause of the problem rather than the symptom.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow