Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2020, 07:52 PM   #15

A general rule of thumb is take the max tow capacity of your truck/vehicle and multiply by .80 (80%) to get your safe towing capacity. For example, if your vehicle has a max tow capacity of 10,000lbs then, your max towing weight should be no more than 8,000lbs (keep in mind the 8,000lbs includes weight of trailer, plus cargo, plus wight of vehicle occupants, etc...)

Again, this is a very general rule of thumb. However, the above example should give you a general idea of what is considered more-or-less safe. Especially, where my life and those whom I care about are involved.
NomadBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadBD View Post
A general rule of thumb is take the max tow capacity of your truck/vehicle and multiply by .80 (80%) to get your safe towing capacity. For example, if your vehicle has a max tow capacity of 10,000lbs then, your max towing weight should be no more than 8,000lbs (keep in mind the 8,000lbs includes weight of trailer, plus cargo, plus wight of vehicle occupants, etc...)

Again, this is a very general rule of thumb. However, the above example should give you a general idea of what is considered more-or-less safe. Especially, where my life and those whom I care about are involved.

I've heard about this 80% Internet theory but never seen any documentation that supports it.

General rule of thumb.....maybe.

I prefer going by AXLE Ratings and Tire Max Load Ratings
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I've heard about this 80% Internet theory but never seen any documentation that supports it.

General rule of thumb.....maybe.

I prefer going by AXLE Ratings and Tire Max Load Ratings
I go by axle and tire ratings myself, but people who have never towed or rarely tow should probably follow manufacturers numbers since theyre most likely idiot proof or pretty close. Im over manufacturers gcvwr by probably 4000lbs, but im under on my axle ratings by a bunch. Im also a class a cdl holder and i know my equipment pretty well mechanically and performance wise. The safest way to avoid an accident isnt always to just hit the brakes, but i dont trust everyone to be able to execute that successfully.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:20 AM   #18

i think your numbers could be off or your weighing a lot of weight that might not be there. like the truck has a gvwr of 6500 and a curb weight of 4168, that's 2332# of cargo (a lot for a 1500) are you really going to load 2332#in your tow vehicle. same with the T/T you can estimate your trailer cargo and get real close. stowing your cargo right makes a big difference also.
I have
2 bikes 140#
1 canopy 100#
hitch 100
wife ,me ,dog 400#
misl. 60#
total 800# of cargo not 2332#
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:42 AM   #19

Did some more research and Investigated some more TT that are on the previous owned market. These are the numbers that I came away with.

Allowable weight for my TV
Curb Weight 4,950.00
GVWR 6,500.00
GCVWR 12,700.00
Payload 1,550.00
Towing Capacity 7,600.00

Allowable weight for Axle
Steering 3300
Drive 3300

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac
P275/55R20 113S
WT Rate 2,535 per tire
Max Wt is 10140 for all four tires

The numbers for a KZ 2008 Coyote Lite
UVW 3,932.00
GVWR 5,000.00
Hitch Weight 416.00

Calculated numbers
Available Payload 384.00
New GVW 5,361.00
NEW GCVW 9,945.00
Towing Capacity 7,600.00

all numbers are in #

So from what I get from these calculations is. That I would be safe and well within my max limits to tow the above mentioned TT with my current TV. Still having room to spare for my vehicle payload.
Randall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 09:31 PM   #20

Watch that hitch load. It will not be 416-lbs. For towing stability, you need a minimum of 12% up to 15% of TT weight on the hitch. For 5,000-lb gross max weight, this is about 700-lbs or so. When loading up the TT, you will need to distribute your cargo/payload so that you end up around 700-lbs on the tongue. Which in turn loads your hitch. Which loads your TV rear axle, and reduces your allowable TV payload. If you are planning on towing “at the limits”, then every one of these weight limits is critical. Weight balance, front-rear as well as side-to-side, tire condition and tire pressure, sway control, speed, aerodynamics, suspension wear, it all comes in to play. Add in towing and braking on steep grade roads in mountains. First and foremost, be a Happy Camper and be safe. Take it easy and enjoy the journey with a smile on your face. That is what camping is all about!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall55 View Post
As as newbie to the RV world I was just wondering if this is legal and safe.

My Est GCVRW for my F150 with Heartland North Country 22FB in tow is 13,400 lbs

My GCVRW for my tow veh is 12700 lbs.
the Veh is 6500 GVWR
the Trailer is 6900 GVWR

This would put me around 700 lbs over the GCVRW.

Is this a safety and vehicle profamce issue?

Should I be concerned about passing a veh weight stop or safety inspection driving in Canada or in the US.
It only becomes an issue when the GVW of both vehicles exceeds the GCWR.

The easiest and IMO, lease expensive way to increase GCWR is to change the gearing. For instance, my truck with 3.73 can be increased by 1000# by installing a 4.10.

I'm registered in a state that issues registrations for tow vehicles by their GCWR. With a few key strokes on their computer they can get that answer on all vehicles with a towing capability. If they can do that I'm pretty sure that any other state can do it.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, tow, weight