Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl0525 View Post
I Have a 2016 ram ecodiesel and pull a 6600lb empty weight travel trailer. The truck will pull it all day long mostly in 6th and 7th gear. Did a 300 mile trip last week and got around 12 miles to the gallon. 55-65 mph. The suspension is soft on the ram even with the weight distribution hitch it still has more squat then I wanted(650 lb hitch weight) I have considered these
Timbren DR1500DQ. Any body have these?
Check out the TLC air bags. I had a long thread on this on ram1500diesel forum and these were the best option. Timbren's are fine to limit your truck's squat, but they will kill the dampening of the suspension when you have a load on because your suspension is effectively always bottomed out.

The Timber Grove air bags are not as big and require more pressure and don't seem to dampen as well with no load as the TLC air bags, which are larger and require less pressure and cost about the same (just under $400 with shipping and everything). Customer service seems excellent, as does the warranty.
patriot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieLeigh View Post
I had the EcoDiesel and sold it and went with a 3/4 ton Gas burner for my 7000 lb Rockwood. Mileage is not as good but I was concerned about the transmission in the EcoDiesel heating up the 250 degrees in the hills. Now I fell like I have a lot more truck under me. The EcoDiesel pulled great. I prefer the 3/4 ton.
My transmission temp hasn't been bad, but my oil heats up to about 230 degrees pulling my parents unit (4k lbs unloaded, 5k lbs loaded) at 65-70 mph. I think if I get the one I really want (5600-5800 lbs unloaded), I'm going to have to get used to going 65 mph with the ecodiesel. Trade-off is that I get about 26-27 mpg driving to work every day. Small price to pay.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
My transmission temp hasn't been bad, but my oil heats up to about 230 degrees pulling my parents unit (4k lbs unloaded, 5k lbs loaded) at 65-70 mph. I think if I get the one I really want (5600-5800 lbs unloaded), I'm going to have to get used to going 65 mph with the ecodiesel. Trade-off is that I get about 26-27 mpg driving to work every day. Small price to pay.
FWIW, I own a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited EcoDiesel. On the JGC when you add the towing package, heavy duty brakes are part of it. I think it is mainly the front rotors that increase in size. Not sure about the P/U.

I've attached some info while on a 5200 mile vacation last year, towing through out the western states of Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado and Utah.

On this trip I averaged actual TOWING MPG of 13.6, figured with pencil and paper on full tanks and only towing miles.

I do my own shifting when towing using the paddle shifters rather than relying on the computer.

I use the new spec oil FCA recommends. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 full synthetic.

I change oil every 5000 miles regardless and will change tranny fluid at about 30,000.

I'll absorb the extra cost of more frequent maintenance as long as I'm towing.

I wouldn't tow anything larger that what I have now with the JGC because of the shorter wheelbase compared to the P/U. It's a 2016 Jayco Jayfeather 23RLSW and tows just fine.

I monitor the temps with a Scan Gauge II X Gaugeset up for the Eco Diesel.

JEEP TOWING TEMPS ON BAKER GRADE 8-2016.pdf

WEIGHT RESULTS OF JAYCO & JEEP.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1445.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	156275

Click image for larger version

Name:	32.2 MPG FILLUP IN CODY.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	156276
Old 03-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #46

Thanks for all the advice. Long story short - my parents got a Coleman 2855BH (5,600 lbs unloaded) and are selling their Heartland 21FX so that they can take the kids on trips. Dad has a Tundra with the 5.7 V8 and towing package, so he should be able to handle it fine. He got the Coleman based on our investigation of the camper and the good reviews on here, and the information provided here about payload and towing capacity. He actually thought it was too much camper for his truck, but I ran the numbers per the recommendations on here and assured him that it wasn't. Rather than us being in the market next year for a camper that's basically identical to that one, we'll probably just borrow theirs through 2018 and get into a place where we can pay cash in 2019 for our own.

Thanks for all the helpful input and advice!

To the last post about the Jeep ED towing info, thanks! That's really helpful. Beautiful picture!
Old 03-29-2017, 12:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Long story short - my parents got a Coleman 2855BH (5,600 lbs unloaded) and are selling their Heartland 21FX so that they can take the kids on trips. Dad has a Tundra with the 5.7 V8 and towing package, so he should be able to handle it fine. He got the Coleman based on our investigation of the camper and the good reviews on here, and the information provided here about payload and towing capacity. He actually thought it was too much camper for his truck, but I ran the numbers per the recommendations on here and assured him that it wasn't. Rather than us being in the market next year for a camper that's basically identical to that one, we'll probably just borrow theirs through 2018 and get into a place where we can pay cash in 2019 for our own.

Thanks for all the helpful input and advice!

To the last post about the Jeep ED towing info, thanks! That's really helpful. Beautiful picture!

On my scale weight readings I was 260 lbs under on FAWR, 60 lbs. under the RAWR, and 220 lbs under the GVWR.

Definitely weigh everything when you tow.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #48

If you like the Coleman you should check out the Jayco 26BH. It's very similar. I have one and I like it very much. I tow it with an F150 with almost identical tow/payload ratings to your truck. I scaled my 26BH loaded for travel with empty tanks. Trailer weight was 6200 lbs and tongue weight was 720 pounds. This put us just under our payload rating with my wife, young son, and I in the truck and an empty box (with spray in liner and soft tonneau cover).
Andrewe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing