Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2021, 03:41 PM   #1

Towing TT with SUV

Hello,

After months and months of research, I think I have finally figured out a proper trailer to buy for my 2020 Durango RT:

https://www.venture-rv.com/products/.../SL169VUD.html

I am posting here to make sure I have not made any mistakes before I go ahead with the purchase.

-7200 lb towing package
-Payload of the Durango is 1350lbs
-GVWR of TT is 4000lbs
-tongue weight of the trailer (using 13% of the GVWR of the TT ) is 520lbs
-My hubby and two kids' weight is 400lbs + tongue weight = 920lbs leaving 430lbs of payload weight.

The only concern I have is the trailer being a single axel.

Is there anything I am missing? Should I worry about sway? Will my Durango tow this nicely?
Angie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 06:04 AM   #2

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
You are to be commended for your research. Will your Durango pull it, the answer is yes but most of us on this forum will say you probably shouldn’t because your tow vehicle and travel trailer are already at it’s maximum before you put any gear in it. The dynamic forces of weather and road that come to bare on an SUV pulling a single axel hard sided trailer will not be a pleasurable experience.
IMHO, with your current TV you would be better served with some type of Pop-Up camper due to their lower profile and weight. The attached link highlights a few options for your consideration.

https://www.rvingknowhow.com/pop-up-...s-and-showers/
Old 03-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #3

Yes many will say 1500 truck, but your numbers look pretty decent. If you can find a similar sized trailer to test pull it wouldn't hurt. But I have seen people tow bigger campers with less truck and have no issues.
That said for the first trip(s) keep the load small and the distance short.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:31 AM   #4

My son towed a Coachman Clipper (Same exact layout and size) with a Nissan Pathfinder. He did fine. But they got tired of the TT after two seasons of camping. They've now sold both, bought a used Chevy 2500 and are looking for a larger TT.
They didn't have any major issues with the TT, they hust got tired of no separation while in the TT.

I don't see any problems with you combo, but like my son I'm guessing you'll be on the lookout for a different TT in a couple years.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #5

Don't forget 60 to 100 pounds for the weight distribution hitch.

I pull a 20 foot Dutchmen Kodiak Cub. Tow vehicle is a 2015 Nissan Pathfinder all wheel drive. Actual trailer weight loaded is 4300#. Tongue weight is 750# (down from original 950# driving home from dealer). That puts me in overload on the 500# hitch receiver.

Published towing capacity for the Pathfinder was 6000# for the AWD. Later looked at driver's door sticker. It said 5000#. Too late to look for another tow vehicle.

1) Self imposed 60 mph speed limit. 65 mph drops gas mileage from 11 to 8 mpg. Risk of sway increases with speed. I know how to stop sway if it starts, but know how deadly it can be if it does. I never tempt fate by going faster. Never try to pass a semi. They are always going fast enough for conditions.
2) Braking is good. Leave plenty of stopping distance while following. Drive defensively. Don't get angry when someone slips into the space in front of me.
3) Engine works hard to pull against air resistance. Head winds and cross winds are the same as going faster. Tail winds are great. Up and down long steep hills means going slower.
4) Use highest capacity tires available for the tow vehicle. Make sure there is plenty of tread for rain and snow.

I have been towing this rig for 3 years. I have replaced 3 of 4 wheel bearings, 4 brake pads and rotors, and now need to troubleshoot the power steering.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #6

I towed coachman Clipper single axle 3500 lbs camper with my Toyota FJ Cruiser for a while. My only complaint is the wheelbase. It’s only 105” and the trailer push the TV around. Otherwise, FJ had plenty power to tow the camper. Later I upgraded to 3/4 ton, which weigh more than twice than the trailer, so I must constantly remind myself there is something hooked up to my bumper.

Durango WB is much longer, you did your research and you’ll be fine.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:31 PM   #7

Make sure you add yourself into the payload weight!
If you get a good WDH, make sure you have a brake controller, and don't be in a rush, you will probably do just fine. The good news is in that size of a trailer you won't have room to take the whole house with you, so keeping the weight reasonable in the trailer is easier. Not sure, but looking at pictures it looks like the water holding tank may be in front of the axle. If that is so, towing full of water will add around 300 lbs to they weight of the rig, part of which will be on the hitch.
Is this your family's first RV? What is your husband's towing experience? You will be fine, but borderline. You definitely have done your research, and it looks like you are being very reasonable. Your concern about the single axle trailer is valid. Large single axle trailers definitely handle differently, but that comes back to experience. In my opinion, a trailer that size would be best with 2 smaller rated axles than 1 large, I think they back nicer and more predictable with tandem axles, but to each their own. A big thing I think you have working in your favor is that your tow vehicle should outweigh the towed unit. One problem people have when over towing with a "light" vehicle is that your tow rig just does not have the mass to handle the forces the trailer places on it if there is sway or other "badness". A horrible feeling is hitting the brakes and you can feel the trailer pushing you. But that also comes back to good equipment and working brakes on the trailer.
A suggestion for the brake controller...Brake control
Old 03-11-2021, 09:26 PM   #8

Towing TT with SUV

Sounds like a good match for the Durango, but I wouldn’t go much more. You are just about at the limits. Watch your weights and cargo as kids tend to get bigger with bigger toys and also bring friends! Recommend you get a TT tongue weight scale (Sherline) and watch your tongue weight as you load up and adjust load location accordingly to maintain that magic 12%-15% ratio.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #9

Lots of really good advice here.

We spent last summer pulling a camper that maxed out our TV and it was a learning experience. Never once did I feel unsafe, but that's because of lots of towing experience and "listening" to the feedback from the setup. It is way more of an active endeavor than typical driving or pulling a TT well below the TV rating so the driver will be extra tired.

My biggest piece of advice is to keep your travel modest the first few trips so you can get the hang of the setup. Test stopping distance and figure out what speed is too much. With our TT it was very obvious around 62-63 mph. Don't forget about the weight of propane and batteries on the hitch as well.

As others have suggested, a brake controller and weight distribution hitch are mandatory! I pulled our TT home from the dealership w/o a WD hitch the first time and couldn't go over 55mph.

Another important note that is mentioned often around here is that the weight numbers from the manufacturer can be way off. Be sure to check them yourself somehow before buying a camper that turns out to be just a little too much.

Finally, keep the possibility in mind that you may very well decide to upgrade TV after a season. While our setup was sufficient for local, flat trips around MN, a trip to the Rockies we got invited on was out of the question. We upgraded TV last fall and barely had a chance to pull the TT. Can't wait to get it from storage and get back at it.

P.S. I anticipate someone will be along shortly to tell you that you need at least a 1/2 ton, and probably a 3/4 ton truck, to pull anything. That's BS. Just take it easy, pay close attention to what your setup is telling you, and have fun!
Old 03-19-2021, 09:25 AM   #10

I'm a big proponent of having more truck than you need. That way you always have options and the machinery doesn't have to work as hard, thus contributing to longer life. Maxing out the towing and cargo capacities of your TV is quite simply adding unnecessary wear and tear to your truck and to yourself.
Your rig will work adequately, but in my way of thinking, beware of how much weight you carry to go camping. Keep it under maximums.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:02 PM   #11

You should be fine towing the 169. We have a VRB168 that we tow with our Touareg V6 gas. Touareg has 7700 lb capacity and with the 168 (4000 lbs loaded) we have no trouble towing and feeling stable.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:06 PM   #12

2020 Hemi Durango will have no problem with a TT that small. I pulled a 5200 lbs dry (7,000 lb GVWR) TT with my 5.7L Citadel.

Payload is actually much higher than 1350, it’s around 1,700 lbs. (7,100 GVWR - 5,400 lb curb weight.) Biggest thing to watch when loaded is your rear GAWR (3,900 lbs)

Good 4-point sway control WDH and minimum of XL load index tires.
IvoryHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:27 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well doing a quick review of the tt it would appear to me to be a very good match for your Durango. I see a lot more single axle TTs these days as they get smaller and lighter. My first TT was single axle and i had no issues with it. I would recommend a good WD hitch with sway control.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #14

With a single axle, the tires are an important feature. No way to limp it to an exit, so make sure it has quality tires on it.

Trailer that size can probably use an Anderson hitch, which will be a lot lighter than most other Weight Distributing hitches. Check your owners manual for what it says about the use of Weight distributing hitches, some vehicles forbid it due to potential damage to the structure of the tow vehicle.

Alternative to the Anderson hitch would be a Blue Ox Sway Pro. They make weight bars for 500 lb tongue weight and the entire hitch is somewhat lighter than most WD hitches.

Charles

Tags
towing, tow