Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 10:29 AM   #15

The 2015 and up Ford Expedition EL will easily handle a 7,000lb wet trailer. Plenty of brakes, plenty of mass (to help control the "pushing" the trailer will try to do"), and the 3.5l ecoboost will haul it up any steep grade without a wimper (Although thirstily). Just make sure you don't exceed the cargo carrying capacity (around 1400lbs most models).
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #16

With 12%-13% needed on the hitch for stability, that is 850-900lbs for a 7,000 lb wet and loaded trailer. Subtract 100 lbs for the hitch and that only leaves 400-450 lbs of available payload in the SUV. That would be me and DW and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE IN THE VEHICLE. IMHO it seems to me that a 7,000 lb wet and loaded trailer would be too much for the SUV. That payload capacity and rear axle rating are always going to be the limiting factor for rear-heavy SUVs. The extra sheet metal, glass, plastic, carpet, and seats adds up weight fast.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Currently towing with a 2007 Chevy Avalanche. Basically a transformer suburban.
It handles our 6300lb. wet trailer o.k.
Would be nice to have a bit more torque for the hills. Also a 6 speed tranny vs. 4 speed would help too.

The 5.3 is thirsty especially when towing. Usually only getting 8.5-9.0 mpg going 65.

its a very comfortable/quiet truck (suv) to drive anytime. Towing or not.
infowars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
I just traded in my 06 V8 4Runner (7300# tow capacity) for an 09 F150 V8 (9700# tow capacity) for several reasons.
1. Payload. SUV's have very small payload ratings due to their GVWR so you are going to be limited by tongue weight.
2. Sail effect. Unless you have a large SUV pulling a TT with a mid sized SUV will be a challenge. Mostly in the way of transmission temperatures. I had to cruise as low as 45 mph on inclines to keep the temps within safe range. Every time a big truck passed we would get "pushed" by their wake.
3. Gas mileage. Pulling a TT with a V6 (not something I would ever do) is going to get low gas mileage and with the small tanks they come with you will be stopping often to fill up. We barely made it 180 miles before I had to fill up on my last trip.
4. Time. Plan on adding a lot of travel time to your destination unless you have a large SUV with a good V8. This may not be a negative for you but what should have taken 3.5 hours for us turned out to be 5 hours due to vehicle limitations.

Now these are the main reasons I traded up to a truck. I bought a SCrew so I could comfortably due the family/dog and load up everything else in the TT which has a max of GCWR of 6050#. The F150 has the 36 gallon tank, 3.73 axles, and tow package and on my test drive it pulled the TT up a steep grade highway at 60 mph (not pushing it) without the transmission gauge moving at all. Something I could never do in my V8 4Runner (45 mph with the temps at max safe point). I don't expect better gas mileage but with the bigger tank I won't be sweating the range I have available before having to stop at a gas station.

If you are going to get an SUV make sure it has the tow package and that your TT is under 70% of your max tow rating and that your tongue weight + your passengers/you + fuel + cargo is less than your payload else you are going to be white knuckle driving to your destination. Of course, YMMV depending on what you consider stressful driving but I prefer an relaxed enjoyable drive.

And while it's not my place to tell anyone how to drive, if you are pulling a TT with a V6 doing 85 mph please avoid my neck of the woods. I have yet to see a trailer tire rated for those speeds and I have a 5 year old I want to see grow up.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #19

A couple of folks have mentioned towing with a Ford Excursion... The Ford Excursion is very different than a Tahoe, Yukon, or Expedition.

I had an Expedition and currently have a Toyota Sequoia. Both with V8... and both are pretty wimpy. I have towed bass boats with the Expedition & Sequoia, but would not want to get much bigger than a large pop-up camper or short no-slide TT.
You can spend $$$ beefing up the suspension on these SUV's, but you are still dealing with a light-weight drivetrain.

Now, back to the Excursion: The Ford Excursions were beast. 3/4 ton chassis and many had the 7.3 Powerstroke diesel. Too bad Ford dropped the Excursion
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #20

I previously towed my SOB TT (6100 GVWR) with a Tundra 4.7L. The tail tended to wag the dog a bit, but the power was ok. I traded the Tundra for an older 1996 Chev K2500 with the 7.4L V8, which towed like a beast. The springs were hard however when not towing. When it was loaded and towing however,the ride was not that harsh. I now have a slightly larger and heavier 2015 Nash 23D (7000 GVRW), and I have traded up to a 2005 Ford Excursion with the 6.0L Diesel. It has the 5 speed OD Transmission. It has massive torque, and tows very well. While the Excursion does have the 3/4 ton frame, the springs were softer like a 1/2 ton, and I had to have Air Bags installed on the rear to help level the ride when towing the Nash even with the Equalizer WD Hitch that I have always used.
dhughes126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Flyer View Post
I beg to differ. In the towing section of this forum, member Happycamperz shared his story of being right at the limit with his Expedition towing a dry weight 5,800 lb trailer. The Expedition has the largest tow rating of any large SUV and that is a max of 9,200 lbs. The Suburban/Yukon XL tops out at 8,300 lbs max. No large SUV has 10,000 lb towing capacity and one can't even get close to their vehicle's tow rating anyway due to limitations of GVWR and rear axle rating and heavy hitch load. Still, 5,800 lbs gets you lots of trailer and camping fun. Just not near as much as the SUV manufacturers would have you believe. Kimcht, you should have no problem finding a very nice TT in the 25-ft range with a SUV for towing; just be aware of your weight limitations. And, if you will humor me just a bit more advice, if you plan on towing in the mountains I would recommend not towing "at the limits" but give yourself a comfortable margin.

To add to this, there is nothing wrong with towing with a half ton, or SUV. Jut make sure you get weighed ‘wet’ and make sure you are working your vehicles specifications. I am wel under the GCVWR but closer on the GVWR and even closer on the rear axle number of the tow vehicle. But I am within the numbers, and the expedition handles our 30’ trailer like a champ. Like others have said, done expect to win races or pass many gas stations, but it can be done legally and safety. Also make sure you have a nice anti sway/ weight distribution hitch. I saw a high difference between my old and new hitches. My new trailer/hitch are a perfect combination and have not experienced near the amount of sway that I did with the last combination.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #22

I wouldn't even want to tow a 5000lb trailer with a suv. Towing with a Durango? Might as well get a minivan instead...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #23

I will never get rid of my 02 Excursion 7.3 PSD.

Chevy made the 2500 Suburban until 2013, with 6.0 gas engine. Pulls great but the mpg's will disappoint you, even non towing. Still pricey used.

The older Suburbans with the 8.1 were very strong and rated for 12K towing. You will be even more disappointed with the mpg.

If I was gonna tow with a gas engine.... the Expedition EL with the turbo engine would be my first choice. Power curve is more like a diesel .

Durango is a nice vehicle with the Hemi V8 for towing. A few tweeks like air ride suspension, tranny cooler, maybe some brake upgrades ... wouldn't hesitate to tow 6.5-7K wet trailer anywhere.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcht View Post
The more I read on the forum the more confused I get. I keep reading about trucks as tow vehicles, the more truck the better. So does that mean if I don't want a truck I can't get a travel trailer? I was hoping to get a large suv as a tow vehicle as I also need it to fit dogs and grandkids car seats when I am not traveling.I am not looking for a huge travel trailer, maybe 25 foot? Advice please.
What you are asking about (full size SUV and a ~25' TT) is a good combo. There are many of them out there. The extra room inside for child car seats, strollers, and other bulky items you don't want in the elements is great. Just stay within the towing specs (or just below) and you'll be fine. As others have said, look at the gross weight rating of the trailer, and not the dry weight. A good WD hitch and rear suspension air bags make for a smooth safe ride.

My combo is a Nissan Armada (8,200 lb towing) and a 26-foot 6,000 lb gross weight TT. We've towed thousands of miles around the west including steep grades in the Sierras & Rockies, and 115+* deserts. The only issue we ever had was a traffic jam in 117* heat. The 0-10 mph stop and go started to overheat the trans and engine coolant (the trans cooler is inside the radiator). We got off the highway and took back roads just to get air flow over the radiator and all the temps went back to normal.
SLO Armada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:08 AM   #25

I forgot to add that if I could choose my combo all over again, I would only have made one change. I would have liked 4WD instead of 2WD. That 4WD low gear would be great for slow (0-10 mph) driving up steep hills, and reversing up a steep hill. So I'd recommend a full-size SUV with AWD the low/crawl gear option.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:57 AM   #26

I dont know how you're doing it. I had a 2007 4x4 Avalanche ltz with 3.73's for 10 years. probably the best vehicle I have ever owned but it would struggle pulling my 6x12 utlity trailer with a harley on it on anything but a flat road. when I decided to get a travel trailer I traded for a new gmc sierra back in feb.because I knew the avie wouldnt do it. they hold their value tho as I got 15,000$ as a trade-in. the later years with the 6 speed are supposed to tow better but it was smarter for me to trade as all the '11 or '12's I saw for sale had 80-100,000 miles on em.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #27

[QUOTE=kimcht;3816703]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirch View Post
I tow a 4,500#, 23' (25' with tongue) TT with a Dodge Durango V6 with tow package. Been towing this rig for 2 years and it has performed better than expected.

Is that 4500 dry or with everything included? thanks!

4,500# dry. Likely 5,500 - 6,000 # loaded. I carry a 75lb bike rack plus 4 bikes on the back of the trailer, plus a fifth bike inside the trailer and a canoe on top of the SUV.
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Longer wheel base tends to do a better job and this is true with SUVs as well...IMHO.
I've never towed with a longer wheel base. But, I cannot imagine anything much smoother than my rig.

I have experience a 32' Class A Winnebago. My little V6 and TT handles the hills and acceleration much better.
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing