Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2022, 09:04 PM   #1

Towing with an FJ Cruiser

Trying to help a friend find a trailer he can pull with a Toyota FJ Cruiser. He understands his limitations. Max gross weight of about 4k, max overall length of 20 feet due to the wheelbase. He is 6'4" so that had to be factored in. I have been around trailers for a long time but I never delved into anything that small.
Is anybody towing with this vehicle and if so what are you towing? I am thinking popup but any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks!
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2022, 10:41 PM   #2

Lots of small lightweight trailers and popups
https://www.lazydays.com/rvs/travel-...ale%20(General)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 01:49 AM   #3

R U sure it is rated to tow 4k ?
CamperLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:07 AM   #4

https://roadsumo.com/toyota-fj-cruiser-towing-capacity/

"The Toyota FJ Cruiser has a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds, give or take a few. It also has a payload capacity of 1,285 pounds, so it can haul quite a lot of weight and is not just for show."

Many hitch receivers are limited to 500 lb. tongue weight. Check specs for yours.

Check capacity sticker in driver's door frame for actual rating for each individual tow vehicle.

Actual weights while towing are what matter. These approximations are good for planning.
5000 X 80% = 4000 lb. gross trailer weight
10% to 15% tongue weight (400 to 600 lb)
This would probably provide a good towing experience.

Forget "dry weight" or "unloaded weight". These weights are wishful thinking.

A 7 foot wide unit with rounded front and rear corners would have fewer issues with cross winds and buffeting.

More rounded corners means less turbulence and better gas mileage. See Casita Travel Trailer.
https://casitatraveltrailers.com/

For faster towing (70 mph) consider a Folding TT or Tent Trailer. Make sure tires are rated for faster towing. Some of these are under designed to hit low price points. I put bigger wheels and higher capacity tires on mine.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:43 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Persistent;6233694]https://roadsumo.com/toyota-fj-cruiser-towing-capacity/

"The Toyota FJ Cruiser has a towing capacity of 5,000 pounds, give or take a few. It also has a payload capacity of 1,285 pounds, so it can haul quite a lot of weight and is not just for show."

Actual weights while towing are what matter. These approximations are good for planning.
5000 X 80% = 4000 lb. gross trailer weight
10% to 15% tongue weight (400 to 600 lb)
This would probably provide a good towing experience.

Forget "dry weight" or "unloaded weight". These weights are wishful thinking.

This is why him and I came up with the 4k pounds max gross weight. It is a full frame and is ok with a weight distribution hitch. He wants to get into the hobby and I want to make sure it ends up enjoyable and not something he dreads doing. A Casita probably will not work because of the headroom.
Old Biscuit, thanks for that link. I do not know what is available to him as he is on Long Island up in New York. Found my first one when I was living there and it was over 300 miles away in Syracuse NY. A trip to get it would not scare him. If he can find something at CW I could pull a string or two to get him a better deal.
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:00 AM   #6

I just met a guy pulling a nice R-Pod with his Gladiator.
It weighed 3,000 lbs with a 900 lb CCC
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not think he will be pleased with the FJ for towing very much trailer. It is a short wheelbase and high center of gravity which is not good for towing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I do not think he will be pleased with the FJ for towing very much trailer. It is a short wheelbase and high center of gravity which is not good for towing.

Ken
That is why he is looking for a small trailer!
Old 07-04-2022, 06:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
That is why he is looking for a small trailer!
Yes, small trailer will end up with a banged head.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:34 PM   #10

R pods have an inside height of 6'6". Light weight and doable. Check them out.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:45 PM   #11

Your friend could keep an eye out on the "fiberglass rv" for-sale sites for an Eggcamper. Interior height is 6'7". Or a Li'l Snoozy or Parkliner (I think both are 6'5"). These trailers are about 15'-18' long and less than 3500 lbs when packed for camping. There aren't a lot of these out there, but they pop up for sale from time to time. Actually I have viewed ads this evening for a Parkliner in NY, a Parkliner in NC, a Parkliner in WI, and a Snoozy in GA. Not sure if it's allowed to show the website links in a post, but someone could PM me if they can't find the sites in a search.
Old 07-11-2022, 09:30 PM   #12

The FJ Cruiser has a wheelbase of 105.9". That is a very short wheelbase. The wheelbase guideline chart starts at 110".

Look at trailers less than 20' total. A T@B 320, Airstream Basecamp, Cricket, Egg, Casita and similar.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 04:42 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
My son has an FJ Cruiser. He hitched our flat trailer to it (2k) and we were surprised how much the rear sank. I think much more tongue weight would have really made it unstable. A WD hitch seems needed even for that little weight. Great truck and plenty of power, but agree with the others, except for a small trailer, I’d use something else.

Tags
tow, towing