Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 AM   #1

Trading in 2018 TT for a 2019

We went to the RV show in Houston today and found a 2019 TT travel model that has the floor plan and meets every checkbox we have always wanted. Its a different brand than our 2018 is and is about $10k more than the one we have now.

They will have to order the exact TT we want since the model on display had a few different interior things than the one we wanted.

They are emailing me a sight unseen trade in offer based on our trailer still looks brand new. MSRP on our TT was $38k think we paid around $28k out the door, Id have to look to be sure. I know TT and RV dont hold value at all, what kind of trade in offer do you think we are going to get? $15k-$20k range?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 06:19 AM   #2

Unfortunately, you are exactly what the RV dealership is looking for. You want a brand new, special order RV. They will have no competition against their offer, you can't shop around because anywhere else you go it will be the same thing. So, they will be free to offer you as little as possible, and they will charge you nearly full MSRP for the one you want since it is a "special order", instead of the customary 30% off they generally start pricing at. You would be waaaaaay better in calming your desires a bit, waiting for more of this particular model to start hitting the various lots, and then toward the end of the year purchase one wherever you can get the best deal. Yes, you may have to give a little on the color of the countertops, or trim. But if you head on in to the dealership at this point with this purchase plan, you better carry a think wallet and be ready to have your feelings hurt really, really bad. To answer your question, since they will have you over a barrel, I don't think they will offer you even half the current value of your current TT, and will take little if anything off the MSRP of the new one.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
Unfortunately, you are exactly what the RV dealership is looking for. You want a brand new, special order RV. They will have no competition against their offer, you can't shop around because anywhere else you go it will be the same thing. So, they will be free to offer you as little as possible, and they will charge you nearly full MSRP for the one you want since it is a "special order", instead of the customary 30% off they generally start pricing at. You would be waaaaaay better in calming your desires a bit, waiting for more of this particular model to start hitting the various lots, and then toward the end of the year purchase one wherever you can get the best deal. Yes, you may have to give a little on the color of the countertops, or trim. But if you head on in to the dealership at this point with this purchase plan, you better carry a think wallet and be ready to have your feelings hurt really, really bad. To answer your question, since they will have you over a barrel, I don't think they will offer you even half the current value of your current TT, and will take little if anything off the MSRP of the new one.
We ordered a TT in 2017 and had none of these issues. We had no trade in, but the dealer sold us the unit we ordered for the same price as the one they had on the lot.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #4

The price of the 2019 that we want to order they are still taking off like 20-30% off msrp for the "rv show" pricing even though they have to order it. The one we want has bunk beds in it and they dont have any in stock with them, without bunk beds its a deal breaker.

I think we are in a good position, they know we already have a new TT and dont need to get rid of ours. Ours fits 95% of the check boxes so its not like we hate our current one. I told them if we cant get a great price on the new one and a fair price on trade then it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

This is from the NADA site

Suggested List $38,334
Low Retail $19,700
Average Retail $23,700

My guess is you'll get $20,000. Is it worth dropping $8,000?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
This is from the NADA site

Suggested List $38,334
Low Retail $19,700
Average Retail $23,700

My guess is you'll get $20,000. Is it worth dropping $8,000?
My guess is they’ll offer less than low retail, around $15k.

I’ve jumped around a few units the last few years. I have never been upside down but we have lost money overall. If you won’t mind losing money to gain what you want now, go ahead and do it. It’s your family and decision and won’t harm anyone else.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #7

They will offer you below low retail, how much depends. It they still give you 30% off the special order then I would take the 2018 and go sell it on your own.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #8

Best/worst case you can always throw the deficit $$ into the new loan. Nothing out of pocket. Of course that puts you upside down on the new one. It's hardly ever a win win for the buyer when trading in.
But hey, it's only money, you'll get some more next payday.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #9

I knew buying a new TT that no matter what I did I would lose money. I only bought new because my wife and kids really liked it and I figured with new we could spend more time camping and less time working on an older used one. Plus ones that were 1 -2 years old were almost same price as new. We have had an awesome time camping so no regrets.

They offered $15k trade-in today, so I turned it down, they called back a few hours later and offered $16k. They said they would probably sell it for $18-$18,500 which I dont believe one bit. I figured the very most I would get on trade was $20 but in my mind said I would take $18k if they price was right on the new one.

I guess the million dollar question is when would I lose the least, trade it now or if I kept it a another year or two and traded it in then. The trailer still looks brand new now and everything is 100% still, in a few years with kids and us camping all the time surely it wont still look brand new.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #10

You could:
1. Press them a little more and get them to meet you at 17K .vs.the 18K you
want and the 16K they offered.
2. Sell your old rig yourself if you truly believe it's worth significantly more than
the offer.
3. Accept there offer take the loss and move on. Trading in a 1 yera old unit is a
$$$ losing proposition from the start
Lantley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #11

When we traded our Bungalow in they gave us $13,000.00 Told us they would sell it for $18,000.00 Had it on their website for are you ready $29,975.00 They did sell it but I don't know how they got. We were told that they go low blue book or lower to get it as cheap as they can. Also they don;t care if you upgraded it or no. It doesn't matter to them. But now if they are selling it then all the stuff that was upgraded they bring it out to the new customer and ask as much as they can. Rip off in my opinion
parcany2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
I knew buying a new TT that no matter what I did I would lose money. I only bought new because my wife and kids really liked it and I figured with new we could spend more time camping and less time working on an older used one. Plus ones that were 1 -2 years old were almost same price as new. We have had an awesome time camping so no regrets.

They offered $15k trade-in today, so I turned it down, they called back a few hours later and offered $16k. They said they would probably sell it for $18-$18,500 which I dont believe one bit. I figured the very most I would get on trade was $20 but in my mind said I would take $18k if they price was right on the new one.

I guess the million dollar question is when would I lose the least, trade it now or if I kept it a another year or two and traded it in then. The trailer still looks brand new now and everything is 100% still, in a few years with kids and us camping all the time surely it wont still look brand new.
There are potential tax savings on a trade. Have you considered that? I’m trying to decide on selling my car vs trading it in.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
There are potential tax savings on a trade. Have you considered that? I’m trying to decide on selling my car vs trading it in.
I want to check into to that, I rarely trade anything in normally. I have had a hundred plus vehicles and traded in 3 maybe.

Going to look at the one with the floor plan we want Sunday. Its a Reflection 312BHTS.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #14

I would check other dealers. It's common knowledge that dealers slam your trade in price.
Some worse than others. We've been contemplating getting another TT or 5er and I've been dealing with several dealers over the phone and one in person.
We've been offered a high of $15K and an unbelievable low of $8K.
One dealer will give me $15K regardless of the price of the trailer, meaning that I can get $15K trading in on a $25K unit or a $41K unit. Both prices are discounted from the MSRP.
High retail on my 5er is $16K+/-. I think I could get $18K on my own. My brand and model are almost never for sale used.
As I mentioned try shopping around.