Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2019, 12:17 AM   #15

I greatly appreciate everyone's replies. Many of you have mentioned buying a small RV and other similar set-ups, which not only makes sense, but in a perfect world, might just suit my needs better, however, I chose to go with an enclosed trailer due to the following reasons...

1. I have never towed any kind of vehicle before, not even a U-Haul. The thought of lugging something large around is a bit overwhelming to me, and I've decided it's more sensible to start with something smaller until I get my feet wet.

2. My tow vehicle is a 2013 Volvo. Obviously not built for hauling larger/heavier objects. I'd rather go much smaller to be on the safe side versus trying to pull something that will make my car struggle, or worse, create difficulty stopping in a timely manner.

3. I've looked at all types of RV's, but really fell in love with the TAB's, Casitas, Scamps, etc. While their sizes are perfect for me, boy, are they expensive! I like to crawl before I walk.

4. Most smaller RV's are essentially sticks on wheels. And the vast majority (even the pricier ones) are prone to all sorts of problems after a few short years; leaks, mold, condensation issues and so forth.

5. While having a fresh water tank, plumbing, propane hookup's, and the million other conveniences a traditional RV would offer, dealing with all of that upkeep is not only above my pay grade at this stage, but would definitely be more than I'd care to deal with on a regular basis. The joy of living a mobile lifestyle IMO, is added time & leisure. Emptying my black water, worrying about frozen pipes in colder weather, ensuring I have enough juice to power all of my appliances and so forth on a continual basis just isn't my cup of tea.

I can purchase a brand new enclosed trailer for about $3,000, which is a bargain. Steel frame & aluminum skin means it should last for decades. Add in a few grand extra to put in a small bathroom where I can have a simple Porta-Potty & a Helio pump shower unit, and that pretty much covers the big stuff. A small cot for sleeping, a Dometic fridge which can run on a basic solar system, and a little camping stove takes care of the rest. Not luxury by any stretch, but more than comfortable living.

As Northeast summer's are usually unbearably hot & humid, an a/c is pretty much a necessity for me, which means I'll have to be plugged in somewhere, and most campgrounds are pricey. But I'll have to bite the bullet on that one.

Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback, and hopefully you now have a better understanding of my thought process, and why I've settled on an enclosed trailer.

P.S. - After speaking to a few carpenters about my bathroom buildout, all said a storage tank to hold my gray water is the best solution, and a mounted unit under the trailer is the simplest/most common set-up.
TrailerManNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerManNJ View Post
2. My tow vehicle is a 2013 Volvo. Obviously not built for hauling larger/heavier objects. I'd rather go much smaller to be on the safe side versus trying to pull something that will make my car struggle, or worse, create difficulty stopping in a timely manner.

4. Most smaller RV's are essentially sticks on wheels. And the vast majority (even the pricier ones) are prone to all sorts of problems after a few short years; leaks, mold, condensation issues and so forth.
Glad to see you did some more research on how to setup a cargo trailer as a home. Please keep us updated as you make progress on this build project. Since you are now committed to a plan, I was hesitant to comment further. But, you'd come to the forum asking for advice and comment.

You didn't say which model Volvo you plan to use as a tow vehicle. However, all models have a limited payload (cargo) and towing capacity. Have you done any kind of estimate of the gross weight of your finished cargo trailer? Will it be under the towing capacity of your vehicle? Will the tongue weight along with all the stuff carried in the Volvo exceed it's cargo capacity?

Second, there are a lot of members of this forum, including myself, who own and use vintage RVs. Many successfully live in them full-time.

My travel trailer is over 20 years old, but has been well cared for. It doesn't have any leaks or mold. As for condensation, I use a small dehumidifier which makes it a non-issue. Also, your cargo trailer may also have a condensation issue with which you will need to address. But, you can easily deal with it just as I have with mine. It is obvious that you had your heart set on doing a cargo trailer build when you made your first post. That's fine, especially since you were sincerely researching how to make your dream come true.

However, I do question your bias against older RVs. Frankly, I think my approach to having a small house that's 23 years older than yours will be less costly, more functional, and certainly more comfortable than your approach. But, as long as you are happy with your new home, that's all that counts.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:43 AM   #17

I think just about every campground I've ever been in thru 20 some states has had a sign saying that dumping gray water on the ground was either illegal, against their rules, or both.
I thought about building out a cargo trailer into a simple RV one time. I realized pretty quick that for the cost of the trailer and all the modifications and parts I could easily buy a very nice already assembled RV.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerManNJ View Post
Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback, and hopefully you now have a better understanding of my thought process, and why I've settled on an enclosed trailer.
I get it. I understand the appeal of customizing a cargo trailer to suit your needs. They are certainly much more durable. I say go for it and have fun in the process.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #19

More info...

Trailer man,
You may wish to visit the "POP UP" forum. Many small trailer and tow vehicle issues may be covered there.
Paul Bristol
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBTripping View Post

You didn't say which model Volvo you plan to use as a tow vehicle. However, all models have a limited payload (cargo) and towing capacity. Have you done any kind of estimate of the gross weight of your finished cargo trailer? Will it be under the towing capacity of your vehicle? Will the tongue weight along with all the stuff carried in the Volvo exceed it's cargo capacity?
+1

I have an "SUV" that came from the factory with a class III hitch. It's only rated for 1500lbs towing capacity. The biggest thing I could tow with it was a popup camper. I think your project might be over before it starts, cars especially just don't have much of a towing capacity. Consider it's not just the trailer weight but all the junk you outfit it with and will want to take adds up quick. On that note, I bought my first small popup used for $1000 and had a lot of fun with it for a few years, then sold it for what I paid for it. A small popup better matched to your towing capacity might be better "training wheels" for RV'ing than having to build the camper first.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #21

My question is why ? Most every campground I've been to has showers. If not a navy shower will work. There are no showers in a tent.
Also you would be better off in a trailer. If you plan on living in it.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:46 PM   #22

Will most campground let in a cargo trailer? I know an RV park will let tag axle motorhomes bring in large enclosed car carriers but the people stay in the motorhome.

You might want to check incase you plan to us a campground once in awhile.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer