Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #1

Trailer brakes failed fifth wheel, any experts on here?

my set up 2001 f350 7.3L pulling a 33 ft toyhauler triple axle 2007 attitude fiberglass sides,, probably about 12k empty maybe? not sure.

have typical old school 7 pin connect,, 6 surround 1 big one. my prodigy brake controller keeps showing a SH code. even when unconnect. according to codes, this means it is seeing a short condition during idle condition. (no idea what this means really)

also shows nc code intermittently,,, when it is not,, if i press on brakes, i can get a bit of braking, then it shows a "little o" L code, which means prodigy sees an overload condition while operating.

it also flashes a PL which is "power interuption while brake pedal is depressed" code.

anyone have any thoughts,, gone thru this? not trying to re discover the wheel here, what is the latest greatest brake controler out there for older setups? thanks so much for any info
rockwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Looking at those codes, almost looks like you have a problem with brake power/feed wire from your truck, somewhere, cracked/corroded wire, bad connection etc.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #3

Mis adjusted trailer brakes can alao cause issues. Start at the controller wiggling all connections and inspect all wires. Likely sourde it the 7 pin connector at the truck, bad pig tail from truck to trailer, and last the connections between the pig tail and trailer wiring. Its not uncommon to see thiese connected using wire nuts.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #4

Trailer brake issues.....

Rule #1....ALWAYS.... start with checking ground connections.

Rule #2......See rule #1
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #5

Clean the 7 pin Connectors

Clean the 7 pin connectors with electrical contact cleaner and a brass bore brush in a drill. Clean on both the trailer umbilical as well as the tow vehicle.
dhughes126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhughes126 View Post
Clean the 7 pin connectors with electrical contact cleaner and a brass bore brush in a drill. Clean on both the trailer umbilical as well as the tow vehicle.
that is a great idea,, i already sprayed brake cleaner in the truck side just to get dust out. but on the trailer side,, it has the very small holes where the little spring loaded contacts are that "clamp" onto the flat ones in the truck side. i can see using a brass bore brush on the truck side but not imagining how to do it on the trailer pigtail though.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
If all else fails start looking at your wiring to the magnets in your wheel drums, I had the same issue on my last trailer and found the wires were chafed inside the drums and shorting out where they were clipped on to the actuator rod. Good luck.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I re read OP question, states he gets a code when un-connected to trailer.. meaning not connected..yes worth looking at trailer side of things for maintenance ..IMO it's on your truck side for that simple reason.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
I re read OP question, states he gets a code when un-connected to trailer.. meaning not connected..yes worth looking at trailer side of things for maintenance ..IMO it's on your truck side for that simple reason.
I stand corrected Brad, somehow I missed that when I read the post, thanks!

With that said then it might be the plug or wiring in the truck going to the trailer instead. In other words I agree with Brad. LOL
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:03 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It doesn’t take much, one of my trailers years back, I wasn’t charging while driving. Traced it back to a rock or something that came up and opened the wire sheathing and this was 8awg, fairly thick, don’t know how long it had been split, but it was pretty green inside. Definitely check your 7 pin, good place to start as others have said. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:16 AM   #11

Disconnect the TT. Try it again. If no codes, truck wiring is probably OK. Look to trailer wiring or break failure.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:08 AM   #12

i just started having a problem with my gmc with factory trailer brake, THIS IS WITH NO TRAILER HOOKED UP. i get a SERVICE TRAILER BRAKES warning. i took it to my local rv dealer and they plugged a meter into my wire socket and said everything is working fine. anybody know why this warning keeps coming up?
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #13

Brad was first to post and got it correct. Ignore the rest of us.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Wilf View Post
It doesn’t take much, one of my trailers years back, I wasn’t charging while driving. Traced it back to a rock or something that came up and opened the wire sheathing and this was 8awg, fairly thick, don’t know how long it had been split, but it was pretty green inside. Definitely check your 7 pin, good place to start as others have said. Good luck, keep us posted.

well,,, update. worked on it this morning and now.

it is now saying "SH" only when connected to trailer. but when i push on manual over ride,, the numbers go up as far as braking power,, but the trailer brakes don't work at all. starting to think trailer side.

checked the connections in junction box where pigtail goes.. all seems good in there.

cleaned truck contacts with brass bore brush,,didn't work as good as i had hoped so put a fine small stone in my dremel which worked great. contacts are super clean and shiny. cleaned spring clamps stlye connection points in pigtail with small flat file and then used small screwdriver to make sure they were closing down on flat male tabs in truck side. they seem weak but pretty sure they are making contact

Tags
brake, brakes, fifth wheel, led, trailer