Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 09:30 AM   #1

Trailer Dump Valve replacement

My new travel trailer has an issue with the 3" black water dump valve - appears the valve stem is bent.

I did a little bit of research, and it looks like it would be cheaper and quicker for me to replace than to get it to a dealer for repair. Camping World appears to have in stock for $16. I figure it will take me 10 minutes to replace, and another 5-10 minutes to get my old bones off the ground and back on my feet.

My questions are:

1. The valve is installed from the factory with the handle facing down at about a 45 degree angle. That goes against my engineering thought process, as vibration down the road could cause the handle to vibrate down. I know, paranoid on my part, but it leaves the handle closer to road surface than I like. I have not looked to see if there is clearance to install it at a different angle and still be able to fully operate it, but I assume that the 4-bolt flange can be installed in any of 4 orientations?

2. Is there a different place than Camping World I should consider for purchasing the valve? I haven't purchased enough parts for travel trailers to know who/what may be out there to purchase parts. Not interested in an Amazon purchase, I just want to go pick it up and install it. I am in the Fort Worth area, if that makes a difference, and typically, I travel all over Fort Worth in the course of a week.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #2

Yes the valve can be installed , 4 different ways.

Any place that has RV parts has the valve ( Walmart, may even have the same brand at a better price that CW)

Half fill the tank with clean water , take the trailer for a 20 mile drive then dump , prior to replacement AND still be ready for when you remove the valve.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Yes the valve can be installed , 4 different ways.

Any place that has RV parts has the valve ( Walmart, may even have the same brand at a better price that CW)

Half fill the tank with clean water , take the trailer for a 20 mile drive then dump , prior to replacement AND still be ready for when you remove the valve.
Thanks. I wasn't thinking walmart would carry the valve. Will take a look. Need to run by wally world tonight anyway.

I am expecting a smell. Only one trip out so far, so maybe not so bad. After all, it has barely been above 100 deg F since that one trip.
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:25 AM   #4
Community Moderator

One trick is to raise the outlet side of the trailer so it will not drain on you.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
One trick is to raise the outlet side of the trailer so it will not drain on you.
My drain lines are angled down a good bit, I would have to tilt the trailer 30 degrees or so to make that work.

It is probably great to insure the tank is drained completely, but it also means my outlet is extremely low, closer to the road than I prefer. In campsites, it never seems to fail, I have to raise the tongue a good bit to level the trailer, at that puts the outlet closer to the ground. Makes it difficult to get any drop from the outlet to the sewer hookup, so water sits in the sewer hose.

I drained the tank and flushed it pretty good at our last campout. I am thinking it will not be too bad. Surgical gloves and a stiff upper lip will hopefully let me complete my mission. I often have to go into abandoned homes in one of my other lives, so I am somewhat accustom to the smells.

Checked my local Walmart, would have to order the valve, no less expensive than Camping World. Will probably just pick up a valve at Camping World and try to swap this weekend, early in AM before the temps rise. (We do have a nice cold front going through today to cool temps down. )
Old 09-25-2021, 11:03 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pick up a small tube of plumberís grease as well, sometimes called faucet grease. There will be an O-ring on each side of your new valve which must stay in position during install. Smear some of the plumbers grease on the O-ring to hold them in place. Also will help the rubber stay viable.
2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #7

Completed the replacement yesterday morning.

There was enough flex in lines to slip the old out and new back in fairly easily. I didn't use the grease suggestion, but can see where it would help.

The valve handle was originally at a 7 o'clock angle. Rotated it into a 2 o'clock angle.

Camper World had the valve but the shelf price was higher than web price. They agreed to price match to lower price.

I took a pan to collect the residue in tank. Had maybe a pint that came out, not too bad a smell. I also took a 5 gallon bucket of water to rinse my hands and put in toilet to check for leaks.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
I did the same last weekend. My underbelly cover got in the way but still not a job I would look forward to doing..

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, trailer, valve