Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2019, 09:16 AM   #1

Trailer Exterior?

So I am at a crossroad and need some help with choosing between a trailer with a fiberglass exterior and one with an aluminum siding exterior. The F250 has a 13000 pound tow rating and I'll be at 75% or less, 3838 cargo cap, and 19000 GCVWR. Trailer will be 32' max if she has her way, 30' max if I have mine I vaguely see pros and cons to each type of exterior and will appreciate your feedback. We'll be living in it full time. Thanks
guten tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guten tag View Post
So I am at a crossroad and need some help with choosing between a trailer with a fiberglass exterior and one with an aluminum siding exterior. The F250 has a 13000 pound tow rating and I'll be at 75% or less, 3838 cargo cap, and 19000 GCVWR. Trailer will be 32' max if she has her way, 30' max if I have mine I vaguely see pros and cons to each type of exterior and will appreciate your feedback. We'll be living in it full time. Thanks
If full timing i would look at r value of the walls and roof over siding. I like my aluminum since if it gets damaged I can just replace the damage and not just put a patch and repaint....may be just me.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

I like my aluminum. Like the texture it gives too. Personal preference. But always look at how it’s constructed first.
Csvt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:57 AM   #4

thanks
Old 06-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Man, that's a rare F250. My 2016 XLT super crew only has 2600 pounds of cargo capacity. If you have not bought the truck yet be sure to check the actual sticker.

As for tin or fibre glass, The tin ones dent just looking at them.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #6

Yep, my truck has 3838 pounds cargo cap as per sticker.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by guten tag View Post
Yep, my truck has 3838 pounds cargo cap as per sticker.
Any chance of posting a picture of the tag. I think most of us would like to see the build figures. My 2017 is the highest available and not near that. Maybe you have a 350.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:25 PM   #8

Fiberglass is easier to seal corner beads, etc. IMO as it is smooth and not bumpy. Also easier to was due to same reason.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Fiberglass is easier to seal corner beads, etc. IMO as it is smooth and not bumpy. Also easier to was due to same reason.
Spell check...

Should say "easier to wax for same reason"
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #10

Look at the Winnebago Mini trailers as they have the best fiberglass finish. I like the Winnebago Mini Plus 27RBDS.

You can not see any fibers in the Winnebago finish like you could in my very 1st trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #11

Thanks for the tips.
And as to the truck, my focus was what the truck would be used for and not what I might need sometime. I chose 2X4 over 4X4 for more cargo cap (4X4 drivetrain adds weight), chose super cab over crew cab for more cargo cap (added weight here too with the crew cab), chose XL over XLT for more cargo cap (options have weight, and then there's the wheel/tire variances), and of course an 8' bed for more cargo cap. I'll also add that it's a gas truck. I've had some 4X4 trucks and have always used the cargo carrying aspect and towing aspect of the trucks and very, very infrequently the 4X4 aspect, so I made my choice of truck with this in mind. The wheelbase at 164" is second longest behind the crew cab long bed. So I have an F250 with a cargo cap of 3,838 pounds, but I have no pictures of stickers to share, sorry.
On trailer exteriors, the insulation & wall thickness are important aspects for a full time rig. I can also see the flat wall finish of a fiberglass rig being easier to wax. Some manufacturers tout or at least mention aluminum panel thickness while others don't and I wonder if that's a red flag. I appreciate your responses thus far and hope this thread can stay alive. I'm still on the fence regarding which exterior wall finish the next trailer will have, and in the end the choice may be made with more focus on what's behind that exterior finish. Thanks all.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:13 AM   #12

I've had both and will NEVER have a smooth side again. If it ever gets damaged, it's bear to fix and if it ever delaminates, once it starts you can't stop it and you really can't do anything about it. You can order all the metal sides in just about any color you want and they go on and off really easy.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #13

That's one of the things I'm thinking of with this thread, exterior repair. I've repaired boats that have a thicker fiberglass along with a gelcoat finish and it always looked like a repair. Replacing an aluminum panel will probably have a better looking end result.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #14

Aluminum

I see fiberglass trailers with warped, delaminating and leaking fiberglass panels. I went with aluminum siding. NO ISSUES!!
colberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer