Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2021, 06:47 AM   #1

Trailer length vs overall length question

Im looking to tow a ultralite 26' TT with a 1/2 ton ( payload is 2x greater than tongue weight) but was warned that I should not try to pull a 30' TT with any 1/2 ton truck.

My question is, when looking at the length of the TT, are they talking about the actual length of the box or the ball to bumper length?
My 26' is 30' if you look at the total length.
Alikair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
( payload is 2x greater than tongue weight)

My question is, when looking at the length of the TT, are they talking about the actual length of the box or the ball to bumper length?

Howdy!
Not sure what you mean by the first (between parentheses) as actual tongue weight can vary between loads - respctive to the total weight of the load. Perhaps you are referring to the "rated weight" of your hitch, ie; class 1, 11, 111, etc.?

Travel trailers are usually measured from "stem to stern" or ball hitch to rear bumper, if you will. Manufacturers will sometimes use the longer measurement, for obvious reasons; however, the government will always use the actual total length of the trailer.

Whether you should tow a 30' trailer behind a half ton truck is rather subjective. Weight of trailer, options on tow vehicle (factory tow /trans, oil coolers, HEAVY DUTY BRAKES, etc) factor into your question. I drive a big rig (18 wheeler) and have seen folks towing all manner of things in all manner of ways. Some safe, others not so much.

Were it me - I would err on the side of caution - I've driven over a million SAFE miles and have seen far too many fatal, likely avoidable accidents.

BE SAFE my friend
94 Rexhall Aerbus [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
77Ti_o_ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Ti_o_ga View Post
Howdy - Not sure what you mean by the first (between parentheses) as actual tongue weight can vary between loads - respctive to the total weight of the load. Perhaps you are referring to the "rated weight" of your hitch, ie; class 1, 11, 111, etc.?

Travel trailers are usually measured from "stem to stern" or ball hitch to rear bumper, if you will. Manufacturers will sometimes use the longer measurement, for obvious reasons; however, the government will always use the actual total length of the trailer.

Whether you should tow a 30' trailer behind a half ton truck is rather subjective. Weight of trailer, options on tow vehicle (factory tow /trans, oil coolers, HEAVY DUTY BRAKES, etc) factor into your question. I drive a big rig (18 wheeler) and have seen folks towing all manner of things in all manner of ways. Some safe, others not so much.

Were it me - I would err on the side of caution - I've driven over a million SAFE miles and have seen far too many fatal, likely avoidable accidents.

BE SAFE my friend

My semi tractor can pull a trailer that exceeds
I was trying to point out that my TV cargo capacity is two times greater than the TT hitch weight wet and that weight is not a factor on this topic.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with going longer on the trailer with a 1/2 ton truck is you get the tail wagging the dog. Most 1/2 ton trucks are have rather light weight suspension and come equipped with P or passenger series tires which have a less rigid side wall. To help towing stability, you need to beef up the vehicle with heavy duty shock absorbers and LT or light truck tires. These have stiffer sidewalls.

You want about 12% of the trailer GVWR for a loaded tongue weight to help stability. Also a good weight distribution hitch with an integral sway control.

My son-in-law bought a 30 foot TT and after one trip from the dealer to home, he decided that his Toyota Tundra with the towing package was not what he wanted to tow his trailer. It had power, but he said it just was not enough truck.

Last week we passed a 30 foot or so travel trailer being towed by an F150. Every truck that passed him gave him a pretty good push-pull as the bow wake hit the trailer. He was maintaining about 60 mph and struggling on the hills in east Texas.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The problem with going longer on the trailer with a 1/2 ton truck is you get the tail wagging the dog. Most 1/2 ton trucks are have rather light weight suspension and come equipped with P or passenger series tires which have a less rigid side wall. To help towing stability, you need to beef up the vehicle with heavy duty shock absorbers and LT or light truck tires. These have stiffer sidewalls.

You want about 12% of the trailer GVWR for a loaded tongue weight to help stability. Also a good weight distribution hitch with an integral sway control.

Ken
I would never consider towing without a ProPride hitch!

I just wanted to know if a 26' box length TT is considered a 26' TT or a 30' TT. It has been suggested not to exceed 30 FT. So, that's what I am trying to do. I am well under my max tow / payload capacity by 50%.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:21 AM   #6

You need to go by the OAL. Same as when you look for a camping spot. As far as length being a determining factor.

Weight also plays a part in it too.
I tow a 31'2" TT that weighs 9200-9600 lbs loaded with a 3500 CC LB truck. No way would I tow it with a 1/2 ton truck.
I also towed a 30'10" TT that weighed 7200 lbs with a 1/2 ton truck. IMO it was at the max for a 1/2 ton.
One size does not fit all.
YMMV
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #7

You go from ball to bumper.

The trouble with towing a 30' trailer with a 150/1500 series truck is the typical 145" -147" wheelbase is not long enough to control a 30' trailer on the highway.

There are however two half ton trucks on steroids that can. They are the Nissan Titan XD and the F-150 with the HDPP option. Both these trucks have a longer wheelbase, heavier frames, LT tires, tow mirrors and higher payloads.

My experiences - I tried to tow a 26.5' travel trailer with a vehicle with a 122" wheelbase. I had terrible sway. I bought a vehicle with a 147" wheelbase and the exact same set-up and loading of the travel trailer I had zero sway. It was a night and day difference. I also towed 5 mph faster.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:39 AM   #8

OK, thanks everyone, looks like I may need a bigger boat
Old 06-05-2021, 10:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alikair View Post
Im looking to tow a ultralite 26' TT with a 1/2 ton ( payload is 2x greater than tongue weight) but was warned that I should not try to pull a 30' TT with any 1/2 ton truck.

I know a lot of members here state a 1/2 ton truck should not tow over a certain length, using a wheelbase calculation to determine the length to tow. In reality, to tow some of the longer trailers would be impossible because not even the HD trucks are long enough.

I am towing a 32 footer with my crew cab, short bed half ton Silverado. Seems to do okay.

However, I also have ~2K payload with ~800 pound tongue weight. If you are pushing 50% of your payload, I would start to worry about the match up.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:51 AM   #10

I've pulled my trailer over a lot of the country and have over 35k miles on it. OAL is inches shy of 30 feet. I have only pulled this with F150' short beds. I did invest in a Propride hitch. Passing semis have never been an issue. Strong winds are noticeable but the impact is similar but stronger than when not towing. My opinion, the hitch keeps the trailer under control and has kept me from getting a bigger truck.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I know a lot of members here state a 1/2 ton truck should not tow over a certain length, using a wheelbase calculation to determine the length to tow. In reality, to tow some of the longer trailers would be impossible because not even the HD trucks are long enough.

I am towing a 32 footer with my crew cab, short bed half ton Silverado. Seems to do okay.

However, I also have ~2K payload with ~800 pound tongue weight. If you are pushing 50% of your payload, I would start to worry about the match up.
50% ? that's new. I thought if you keep you load below 80% your good, now its 50%??
Old 06-05-2021, 10:58 AM   #12

What they said; a travel trailer is measured from ball to bumper so thats a 30' trailer. I'd want a 3/4 ton for that myself.

Dave
Old 06-05-2021, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
I've pulled my trailer over a lot of the country and have over 35k miles on it. OAL is inches shy of 30 feet. I have only pulled this with F150' short beds. I did invest in a Propride hitch. Passing semis have never been an issue. Strong winds are noticeable but the impact is similar but stronger than when not towing. My opinion, the hitch keeps the trailer under control and has kept me from getting a bigger truck.
Did you get the chance to see how it road before and after the Propride?
Old 06-05-2021, 11:18 AM   #14

as above^^^ i'm just inches short of 30' O/A. its listed as a 27' i tow with a 2010 1500 GMC crew cab short box and have just a std. WDH. my camper weight is right around 6500 ready to camp. i put air bags at the rear just to eliminate some of the bounce effect witch they helped. i pay special attn. to my hook up, hitch and loading my T/T., tire pressures and so on. i really couldn't ask for a better towing setup.
i think a lot of people that have trouble just slap the trailer on the hitch and expect it to perform good, that most likely won't happen.
Jay D.
Jay D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer