Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2022, 07:13 PM   #1

Trailer Recommendation

Hi all,

I’m considering a couple TT’s to be pulled by my 2021 Ram 1500. Right now I’m looking at the Cougar 22RBS (25’ 11”) and the Rockwood 2109S (23’ 10”). I should be able to stay just under my payload with either one. Can anyone comment on the pluses and minuses of either of these? I’m open to other suggestions also. I’m aware they all have their issues so I would like to stay on the upper end of the quality scale.

Thanks,
Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2022, 08:28 PM   #2

I prefer a substantial difference between trailer weight and tow-vehicle GCWR.
I think the -- as the fellows on MythBusters put it -- 'safety margin' can always be improved.
Would your combination work for decades of full-time live-aboard and hard use?
Certainly.
Do I think other possibilities could be a better choice?
Certainly.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:25 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
Hi all,

I’m considering a couple TT’s to be pulled by my 2021 Ram 1500. Right now I’m looking at the Cougar 22RBS (25’ 11”) and the Rockwood 2109S (23’ 10”). I should be able to stay just under my payload with either one. Can anyone comment on the pluses and minuses of either of these? I’m open to other suggestions also. I’m aware they all have their issues so I would like to stay on the upper end of the quality scale.

Thanks,
Rick
It's not only the payload you need to consider. Even if the Ram can handle the payload, or any other truck, you don't want a trailer too long that would let it "wag the dog".
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #4

I would take the 22RBS over the 2109S for a few reasons. 1st being the slide in the 22RBS is a flush floor slide. If you don't like the dinette or the sofa it can easily be replaced.
In the 2109S the slide is raised so you're stuck with whatever is in it. If you don't like the sofa in the 2109S then too bad because it has no bottom section since it's part of the slide floor.
2nd would be small kitchen counter and lack of storage there.
Also the 22RBS rides on E rated 15" tires vs the 14" tires on the 2109S. More CCC in the 22RBS.
Plus side to the 2109S is the Azdel walls. I'd still take the overall roomier 22RBS with more storage over the 2109S.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:20 AM   #5

I guess you are not asking us if either of these trailers is a good match for your truck. The Ram half ton trucks seem to be all over the map for payload and towing capacity, with some mixed results from some of the members. There was a thread a few weeks ago from a member describing how a Ram 1/2 ton performed poorly towing a trailer that a GM 1/2 ton did fine with. (Based on some other comments, threads, and general observations, the numbers on any manufacturers half ton trucks can be all over the map. )

Looking at the 2 trailers you mentioned, I see them as somewhat different trailers.

The Cougar has a dinette table (option to replace with theater seating) while the Rockwood has a couch. My preference would probably lean more toward the dining table, but each one of us probably uses our RV differently, perhaps a table is not useful to you.

One of the things I see that might really drive my decision is that the Rockwood appears to allow you to move completely though the TT with the slide in, whereas I think the Cougar cuts off the access to the bed/wardrobe when the slide is in. Depending on your usage, that may be an issue.

The 2 foot length difference might make a significant difference in some campsites not being long enough, or the size of storage space you need.

Of course, that king size bed on the Cougar might be the thing that puts it over the top.

I see Cumminsfan pointed out some other differences that I did not recognize from the quick look at the floorplans that I did.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:01 AM   #6

I have a Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Hemi; payload is 1390 lbs. My business partner has a Cougar 22RBS and has towed it with several vehicles, including the Ram (she now tows with an E350 Powerstroke) and I'll tell you that the "Half Ton" name on these Cougars is a stretch...at best. ALWAYS use the trailers rated GVWR as loaded weight and 12 - 15% tongue weight. The Rockwood is 5,700 lbs GVWR and the Cougar is 7,200 lbs GVWR.

Of the two, and assuming you're stuck with your Ram, I'd DEFINITELY say to go with the Rockwood as it is 2' shorter and 1500 lbs lighter. The Rockwood is actually a decent size for a half ton though you'll still likely be close to payload depending on how your Ram is configured and what you intend to carry.

Dave
Old 10-25-2022, 05:41 PM   #7

What I understand between these two manufactures and not the floorplan. The Rockwood has a twin called the Flagstaff. These trailers have a laminated styrofoam roof. I like that. Press on the ceiling you have zero give. I like that. On the Rockwood you can get slide toppers from the factory. I like that. Also you can order dual pane windows. I view the Rockwood as not too shabby.

The Cougar matches the Rockwood with other features. I believe the Cougar is certified for full time use. I like that. The Cougar has OTG (Of the Grid) package. I like that. The Cougar has 2.5" walls. I like that. With OTG you get a few outlets that stay live without being plugged in to electric. I like that. Cougar most likely has a solar panel or two. I like that.

I would not flip a coin but look at axle ratings and tires. If that is equal then flip a coin.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 06:57 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies, you've given me some things to think about. I am leaning towards the Rockwood. My payload is 1500lbs and using a hitch weight of 13% of GVWR I think I can stay under 1500lbs without too much trouble. I have a Limited with air suspension and a Helwig aftermarket sway bar so I'm hoping that will help.

This truck is my daily driver. I could move up to a 2500 but after driving a 1 ton dually for a couple of years I'm spoiled with this truck.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 10-25-2022, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I'll tell you that the "Half Ton" name on these Cougars is a stretch...at best.

Dave
What's really a stretch (to me) is the half ton 5vers. There is a FB group dedicated to half tons pulling 5vers. It sure seems like a lot for a half ton.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
What's really a stretch (to me) is the half ton 5vers. There is a FB group dedicated to half tons pulling 5vers. It sure seems like a lot for a half ton.
Anything much over 6000 lbs or so is a lot for any half ton IME... I can't fathom why someone would even try hauling a normal sized 5th wheel with a half ton truck...

Dave.
Old 10-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #11

Rockwood not only has Azdel inside but outside/framing layer. Full 6 sided aluminum frame with foam board insulation:

Rockwood has a lower center of gravity, and a height of only 10’3. Instead of 11’5” on the Cougar. This makes for a much easier tow.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 02:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Rockwood not only has Azdel inside but outside/framing layer. Full 6 sided aluminum frame with foam board insulation:

Rockwood has a lower center of gravity, and a height of only 10’3. Instead of 11’5” on the Cougar. This makes for a much easier tow.
I went and took another look at the Rockwood yesterday. So far about the only think I don't like is the pass-through compartment is partially obstructed so you can't put some of the things in there I would like to.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post

In addition to the above mentioned items the Rockwood also has the torsion axle suspension which I think is a plus. I went and took another look at the Rockwood yesterday. So far about the only thing I don't like is the pass-through compartment is partially obstructed so you can't put some of the things in there I would like to.

This is one thing on the Cougar I don't like. It seems like they could have found a better place to put this heat register.

Rick
Old 10-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #14

That heat register in the bathroom to me is not a big deal. I usually have a mat there anyway. I don't mind it that register is blocked.

Does the Cougar now come standard with OTG package. If so that is a big thing.

Agree torsion axles are a good thing.

Again you can just about flip a coin.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer