Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #1

Trailer Roof- Man am I sore!

Spent 4 hours on the trailer roof today.

Was doing preventative maintenance. Putting Eternabond on all my seams.

After 4 hours I was whooped. Still got about 20% to go, but had no more gas in the tank. 60 yo is not the same energy level as 20 yo.

Wore knee pads, so that helped, but scrubbing, then applying, then pushing hard with fingers, and then pushing hard with the weighted roller.

Caulking would have been easier...but this one time with the Eternabond should cut the need to be up there 1 or 2 times every year doing more caulking.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #2

You da man, when I was younger it took me two days at 9hrs. a day to clean and condition the roof on my 37' 5th wheel. Now, I did spend time going up and down a lot. What a work out !!!

Just think, if you did that every other day for 2 months can you imagine the shape you would be in?

I bet it looks nice and better than if a dealership did the work. You are now one with your rig with all the changes you have made.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #3

My muscles started aching just from reading your post. The seams on my TT aluminum roof are sealed with the same. Love it!!!
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The edges of the Eternabond should still be caulked or it CAN leak.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #5

Raining all day today, did not feel like getting up there anyway. Will finish it out later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You da man, when I was younger it took me two days at 9hrs. a day to clean and condition the roof on my 37' 5th wheel. Now, I did spend time going up and down a lot. What a work out !!!

Just think, if you did that every other day for 2 months can you imagine the shape you would be in?

I bet it looks nice and better than if a dealership did the work. You are now one with your rig with all the changes you have made.
lol, yeah, I don't want to think about doing it every other day...wow...but you're right, I'd either be dead or in better shape. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBTripping View Post
My muscles started aching just from reading your post. The seams on my TT aluminum roof are sealed with the same. Love it!!!
Yeah, yesterday it was the joints hurting...today just the muscles, which is not so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I have read both ways...but went ahead and caulked the edges that were at low points. Not too many of them.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM Rolling View Post
After 4 hours I was whooped. Still got about 20% to go, but had no more gas in the tank. 60 yo is not the same energy level as 20 yo.
I had to laugh when I read this last night but I was too tired and sore to poke the tablet. I'm 61 and installed air bags on my F150 yesterday. Kicked my butt. Don't know why I keep doing things myself. Oh yeah, I want to make sure it's done right.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo10-210 View Post
I had to laugh when I read this last night but I was too tired and sore to poke the tablet. I'm 61 and installed air bags on my F150 yesterday. Kicked my butt. Don't know why I keep doing things myself. Oh yeah, I want to make sure it's done right.
Yep!
Old 02-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
Thanks for the advice. Planning to caulk as soon as it stops snowing and raining here.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My fifth needs some re-caulking in areas. Small enough project that I can do it myself in a couple hours. I'll know the quality of the repair is good.

But, being elderly (early 70's) I worry about loosing my balance up 13 feet on the top and falling. That is my big concern, not the work. I'm still pretty fit.

At some point, a lot of work will need to be done.....I'll hire it out.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, trailer