Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #29

Trailer Tires

You know I was reminiscing about the old days and remember being told to never use radial tires on a tandem axle trailer I was hauling a boat at the time and always ran bias ply tires. It was something about damaging the sidewalls while maneuvering at low speed.

These Akuret tires are bias ply I am told above and ten ply. 2822 lbs load rated at 80psi. ST225/75R15 (the R makes me think it's a radial)as opposed to the ST205/75R15 Carlisle tires rated at 1820lbs at 60 psi.

http://www.deltatire.com/pdf.asp?fil...ST_Trailer.pdf

I think they will do fine.

Actually it's very hard to find a tire that is made in the USA anymore, sadly!

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
These Akuret tires are bias ply I am told above and ten ply. 2822 lbs load rated at 80psi. ST225/75R15 (the R makes me think it's a radial)as opposed to the ST205/75R15 Carlisle tires rated at 1820lbs at 60 psi.

http://www.deltatire.com/pdf.asp?fil...ST_Trailer.pdf
The tires in that link are all radials. Says so in the heading, plus the sizes all have the "R" in the size. Bias ply tires have a "D" instead of an "R" in the size.

Click on the following link, then on View Specification Data Chart for Akuret LPT Bias:
Delta Tires Catalog - Akuret Tires
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Trailer tires have NO mileage or defect warranty. You buy them... you're on the hook even if was manufactured incorrectly.
Where in the world did you get this idea? Any decent manufacturer provides a warranty on their trailer tire line. Maxxis for example has a 5-year warranty.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #32

Has anyone here heard of or used these tires. My thoughts are that if I buy them from the local place ($127 ea mounted & balanced) If I do have a problem I have someplace to go to get resolution.

Chances are, your problem won't be at home.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #33

TT tires

Load range "E"
Denlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
The tires in that link are all radials. Says so in the heading, plus the sizes all have the "R" in the size. Bias ply tires have a "D" instead of an "R" in the size.

Click on the following link, then on View Specification Data Chart for Akuret LPT Bias:
I don't think ST bias tires are made in sizes above 15".

Here is the reference.

http://www.deltatire.com/pdf.asp?fil...t_LPT_Bias.pdf

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
I don't think ST bias tires are made in sizes above 15".
I think you're right. But Sudsy was discussing size ST225/75D15.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #36

Quote:
I think you're right. But Sudsy was discussing size ST225/75D15.

I typed that wrong initially but fixed the typo almost immediately.

Sudsy

St225/75R15 tires.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #37

Quote:

Well I don' think I mentioned that I kept my RV in a storage area at the RV dealer where I bought it. They put on the tires and after I picked it up for the first trip of the year I found that they did exactly what I needed done. The tires are "E" rated 10 ply Radials ST225/75R15 that have a max inflation of 80 psi. Rated for 2388 lbs each at 80psi that's more than twice the rating of the Carlise's (ST205/75R15) that were blowing out. They inflated them to 75psi and also installed high pressure metal valve stems. I just took a 500 mile trip with my Chinese carry-outs and they worked just great. So far I highly recommend them. Balanced with very little lead. I put my cell phone on video record and played back a video of an ashtray sitting on the dining room table while running 60 mph and all seemed smooth.

Sudsy
Old 06-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #38

Sorry to ask about different tires....but

Question:Kumho 205R14 109/107QD tires
Anyone ...

...have experience with or opinion of these tires? I am considering buying them for my 3,880 Gross weight, single axle, 14 inch wheel TT.

The Vietnam or China country of origin bothers me. China more so.

Bob
bubbajean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 PM   #39

Don't know anything about them, but if not hearing the name on RV forums means anything, they aren't blowing out if in use.
I have seen the brand on large truck tires...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #40

Kumho tires

Well now I always look at tires on campers when I can. I did notice a set of these Kumho tires somewhere but didn't get any information from the owner. I like what the fellow above said. If you don't hear about them failing ....
No news is good news!

Meanwhile...

My Akuret tires are acting great. I did a vibration measurement with my cell phone and saw no evidence of serious vibrations. They look and act great. I have only put about 1000 miles on them so far but am happy. They actually are physically much bigger and sturdier than the Carlisle's (R205's)that I had.

I have been told that even some of the Goodyear Marathon ST tires are now manufactured in China.

I am happy with the Akurets.

Sudsy
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajean View Post
Question:Kumho 205R14 109/107QD tires
Anyone ...

...have experience with or opinion of these tires? I am considering buying them for my 3,880 Gross weight, single axle, 14 inch wheel TT.

The Vietnam or China country of origin bothers me. China more so.

Bob
I also just thought about it and you may want to call or email Michelin about tires for a light single axle trailer. I see a lot of folks running Michelin LT tires like I have on my tow vehicle on fifth wheels and TTs. These are 16 inch tires I am talking about here. I emailed them and they actually called me and told me not to do that with my 15 inch tires.

I would look for the heaviest load carrying capability I could find.

Sudsy
Old 06-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Kumho 857 Radials are one of the few 14" tires you will find in a "D" or "E". Although they are not ST tires, they are commonly used as a trailer tire and are speed rated for 75mph. Keep in mind that a 195/75/14 is the equivelent of a 205/75/14 ST tire. I have had great luck with them and would reccommend them if you can't find a Maxxis to fit your needs. Remember, the higher load ratings require a higher psi so make sure your rim can handle the 65psi required to get the full load capacity out of them.

Tags
tires