Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #1

TRAILER WIRING CHANGED all by itself !

3 month ago I installed the Tokonsha ZCI wiring kit to my tow vehicle and everything worked as it should except I always felt it was not delivering enough power to the brakes and I had to adjust the controller to very high levels. This morning I hook up to get ready to leave on a trip tomorrow and all of a sudden I have more power and had to readjust controller way down in order to prevent locking up brakes. Then I find that my trailer tail lights are always on, this is the case with or without the brake controller being on. Any idea what could have happened. I have not messed with any wiring and all other lights work as they should.
B RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
the Tekonsha has a “brain” so no telling what it’s up to. Most of that stuff is made with the cheapest Chinese components available regardless of where it’s assembled, so you have to accept about zero reliability as a consequence of using it. I would just use conventional round 7 wiring.

To me, all this says is “trouble ahead“:

“ZCI sensor technology and direct connection to the tow vehicle battery, eliminates all electrical connection and interference with the tow vehicle electrical system. Vehicles with 12 volt system only.
NO CUTTING OR SPLICING VEHICLE WIRING!
Isolates Trailer Light Operation from Tow Vehicle's Electrical System
Works with 2 or 3 wire systems
Works with PWM or Multiplexed systems requiring 2 or 3 wire hookup
Rated for up to 4.2 amps for turn/stop & 7.5 amps for taillight trailer circuits
Works with low side switched vehicles
Integrated auto resetting short & overload protection“
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2EF2D8E-A66C-408D-A0D3-C3D89DC9CB90.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	296387   Click image for larger version

Name:	11315016-EFB1-4B82-AE8F-097D066218F5.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	296388  

Old 08-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #3

A lot of folks are using the Prodigy 3 controller...and are you sure it's the tail lights and not the brake lights?......clearance lights should also be on...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #4

Bad grounds will make it do some strange things, I remember in auto shop class in high school someone brought in a Datsun pickup that the taillights worked erratically. The old seasoned shop teacher told us to look for a bad ground, sure enough, we found the ground wire between the bed and the frame was broke. Installed a new jumper, everthing worked perfectly! Probably what your problem is. Check all connections for rust, or looseness.
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 05:19 AM   #5

If it is determined to be the controller call the company. They will send you a new one no charge. All the companies seem to do it, and one sent me a free pigtail along with the new controller.
I've had a couple fail over the years, one was messing with my mind about the brake lights coming on by themselves at random times. Just sitting in the driveway all by it's self.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:50 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
B_RAD-

According to what I read, the ZC1 is a kit to provide trailer light control. An installation guide is here. It says you can put the control module into "learn" mode to reset in in the case where the outputs are not working as expected. I would try that first.

As "hillbilly3" said, these kinds of symptoms often arise from poor or intermittent grounds. I would check the ground connections on all the connectors (tow vehicle and trailer), and through any umbilical cables that connect the two vehicles. Sometimes you have to pull or twist on the wiring to get an intermittent failure to occur "while you're looking."

Now, the potential interaction with the trailer electric brake controller is a puzzler. The controller takes in a single signal: the brake light signal on the tow vehicle. If a failure occurred such that the bake light signal was on all the time, then the controller would perceive that as a brake application and put out a strong (and perhaps constant) signal on the trailer electric brake controller wire (the "blue" wire) at the tow vehicle hitch connector. In that case, though, the cause of the problem would be in the tow vehicle. In this scenario, you should see the brake lights on the tow vehicle (with the engine on), when no one is pressing the tow vehicle brake pedal.

Could you provide the make and model of your trailer electric brake controller?

Could you tell us what the connections are at the rear of the tow vehicle? The ZC1 uses a 4-flat plug; the trailer electric brake controller uses a ???
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
B_RAD-

According to what I read, the ZC1 is a kit to provide trailer light control. An installation guide is here. It says you can put the control module into "learn" mode to reset in in the case where the outputs are not working as expected. I would try that first.

As "hillbilly3" said, these kinds of symptoms often arise from poor or intermittent grounds. I would check the ground connections on all the connectors (tow vehicle and trailer), and through any umbilical cables that connect the two vehicles. Sometimes you have to pull or twist on the wiring to get an intermittent failure to occur "while you're looking."

Now, the potential interaction with the trailer electric brake controller is a puzzler. The controller takes in a single signal: the brake light signal on the tow vehicle. If a failure occurred such that the bake light signal was on all the time, then the controller would perceive that as a brake application and put out a strong (and perhaps constant) signal on the trailer electric brake controller wire (the "blue" wire) at the tow vehicle hitch connector. In that case, though, the cause of the problem would be in the tow vehicle. In this scenario, you should see the brake lights on the tow vehicle (with the engine on), when no one is pressing the tow vehicle brake pedal.

Could you provide the make and model of your trailer electric brake controller?

Could you tell us what the connections are at the rear of the tow vehicle? The ZC1 uses a 4-flat plug; the trailer electric brake controller uses a ???
This also also seems to support the idea of a round 7 conventional wiring set up. I don’t understand why there’s even a market for these “smart controllers”. It seems like just one more weak link in a fairly important application (trailer brakes???) and I don’t see the benefit.

What am I missing? Is it just a way to get brake output if all you have is a flat 4? Maybe for those who don’t know how to do a little wiring or don’t want to splice into the factory harness? I guess that makes sense until you run into problems like the ones stated.

Tags
trailer, wiring