Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #1

Trailers been testing my patience

Whatever I did the Coachman has been angry at me.
I’ve been camping since I was born in 1984, so I’m used to having a fix it list when we get back from a trip. New RVers use this as what you’ll possibly experience (hopefully not).
Went on a Halloween trip as our last trip of the season. Got to the site and when I opened the door, the breaker box cover latch had broken. So the door kept flopping open. Had to tape it closed. Unhitched and the breakaway cable broke in half. Even though it didn’t show any corrosion. Connected the utilities and one of the sewer hose connections cracked. Had to go to my backup. Went to wash my hands and the cold water handle on the kitchen sink broke. Had to steal the one off the outdoor kitchen for the weekend. Kids went to take a bath and when the wife opened the bathroom vent the gearbox came apart and the handle broke off in her hand. The bathroom faucet started leaking onto the counter when it was used. The safety relief valve on the water heater started leaking. The radio stopped working. The sliding door to the bedroom came off it’s track, and when I put it back in the wheel broke. One the way home some idiot crashed into a concrete barrier in a construction zone and came to a stop directly in front of us while we were going 45 mph. After we were home for a few days I checked the trailer and found we had mice. Last week I noticed the compartment under the refrigerator is leaking water. Now yesterday I went to winterize and the inlet side of the water pump literally broke off.
My to do list may last until springtime.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2020, 09:14 AM   #2

Ahhhh, the joys of RV ownership . . . . I don't mean to be flippant, but your woes go with the territory. It's unusual for all that stuff to happen in just a short period of time, but it happens. Make a list, check it twice, and get it fixed during the Winter, and she'll be ready to go for next Spring! Course you will have other stuff break, but it's just the nature of the beast. Good luck, and travel on!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #3

Here is a different way to look at all of this: when I have a big "trailer chores" list, I rejoice. It means that I get to spend quality time with my trailer, rather than taking care of boring routine stuff for my stick house! Much more enjoyable.

Hang in there!
Old 11-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
RVs require constant maintenance and checks for leaks. Coachman uses "cheap" plumbing fixtures, but you can replace them with what ever you want from Home Deport or Lowe's.

Part of the 6 month routine is check all the roof caulking, window caulking and inside for any leaks signs. Yearly I check all of the accessible plumbing and electrical commotions. You are taking you house down the road and subjecting it to a hurricane and an earthquake at the same time. no wonder things come apart.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #5

Sorry, I stopped reading when you mentioned the kids. You do know, for example a 9 year old boy can look at something and it will break.

Good luck fixing the things that break...you will need it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #6

Ohh man that is not so fun. I agree all seem like normal things except not at once! I really like the idea of just enjoy your time fixing things.
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #7

Before starting your repairs you should contact an Exorcist for an exorcism. Sounds like you may have more than mice hitching a ride.
LakelandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:18 PM   #8

You forgot to mention the leak under the kitchen sink....
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like a normal week to me.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:34 PM   #10

I would get my screwdrivers and other tools ready to fix, tighten, and seal anything that was unsealed during my 975 mile trip from Ohio to Florida and visa versa. If I remember correctly there were always 2 or 3 things to fix. Things like sink drain tightened, shower sealed and light bulb replaced. One time clean up broken corelle ware plate that got bounced out of the cabinet. Man, that thing shattered into tiny little sharpe pieces....yikes.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:41 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Sorry, I stopped reading when you mentioned the kids. You do know, for example a 9 year old boy can look at something and it will break.........
Our previous next door neighbor often said his two boys could break an anvil with a rubber hammer and I believe him!!
Old 11-30-2020, 02:17 PM   #12

our coachman 246RKS had the same fixtures as other folks trailers we camp with so I figure they get them all from the same source. I changed out the bathroom sink faucet and also put a much nicer shower head on. underneath the trailer I replaced all the drain plugs on the ends of the pex lines with gate valves and the water tank vent hose under the kitchen sink was kinked from being about 8" too long. we have never put any water in the tank so dont know if it will work any better without being kinked but I would think so. electrically I changed the porch light to LED and installed a solar controller in the front storage area and added a battery shut-off switch. our bed top didnt have hydraulic assist when we first got the trailer so it was hard to lift and I added 2 cylinders for that.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #13

I'd rather maintain, fix and repair my TT than my S&B. At least the TT can get me away from it all, even if just for a weekend away from working on the S&B!
Old 11-30-2020, 08:12 PM   #14

S&B is a continual battle to keep up with. My travel trailer is small potatoes compared to my S&B.

My S&B is a real money pit.

Tags
test, trailer