Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 10:50 PM   #1

Transfer Switch

does anyone know where the transfer switch is on an 1989 holiday rambler aluma-lite FreeSpirit 30ft travel trailer? we can run on shore power but get nothing with our generator. have found converter but that's it
tigtig04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2021, 10:05 AM   #2

My money is on there not being an automatic transfer switch.

If that's the case, you have to manually plug it in. Probably in to that outlet that you wondered why it was there...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:34 AM   #3

A long time ago, even generators mounted inside a compartment required plugging the shore power cord into an outlet on the generator or an outlet near by.

Otherwise, follow the generator output wires to the transfer switch.

Circuit breakers on the generator could be tripped.

Fuses could be blown.

You would probably be able to hear the transfer switch work if you had one.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #4

Look where your cord is stored there can be a plug where your cord plugs in this is before a transfer switch
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Look where your cord is stored there can be a plug where your cord plugs in this is before a transfer switch
I would bet that this is the answer. Many motorhomes of that era didn't have any transfer switch but you just plugged the cord in to an outlet that was powered by the generator. I had one like that for 14 years, 12 years fulltime and it served me just fine.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:12 PM   #6

Yep. My 2007 Winnebago View Motorhome was done that way. Genny supplied a 30TT receptacle in the shore cord compartment. The shore cord went to a junction box and them Romex to the main breaker.

Always roll up the cord and then plug it into the genny receptacle, that way, if you stop for lunch and want the microwave, its ready to go. I moved the boxes around and rotated the receptacle so it was easier to plug into, and then installed a Progressive HW30C for power protection.

Just to note, my Bigfoot travel trailer was done the same way when I got it. However the compartment where the cord stowed was tiny and a small door you could barely get your arm thru. You had to plug in the cord to the genny outlet without looking at it. I removed all of that, installed a heavy aluminum plate on the outside and a standard twist lock power inlet and mounted a transfer switch just behind the power panel. Transfer switch is just another failure point but it was not workable the way it was originally.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:50 PM   #7

this is what we have that the shorepower cord runs into that's what has us confused lol brand new generator works on brother inlaws 24ft trailer but we get nothing with ours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	16177745710957778780135571218044.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	324137  
Old 04-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #8

Thats just a 4x4 junction box. Shore cord probably is spliced to 10/2 w/grd Romex in that box. Keep following wires. Is there anything in the compartment where the shore cord stores? Like I showed above?

Also, remove the front cover and look at the generator. You will see a rocker switch for priming and starting of the generator and there will be a regular fuse, 5 amp I think, which is for the DC circuits that control the generator. If you really shove your face into the generator and look down, you will see a white toggle, and there should be a placard there telling you which way is on and off. You may need a mirror.

This video is the first one I came across and in four minutes he tells you more than most will in ten minutes.

https://youtu.be/EWWG5cdqHck

WHAT MODEL GENERATOR DO YOU HAVE????????? Something as old as a '89 may be very different. I seriously doubt that an '89 has a transfer switch, but it could, you just have to keep following wires.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigtig04 View Post
this is what we have that the shorepower cord runs into that's what has us confused lol brand new generator works on brother inlaws 24ft trailer but we get nothing with ours
Based on the above in red are you talking about a built in generator or a portable generator that you are plugging your shore cord into. If the latter there will not be a transfer switch or built in receptacle.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #10

Yes, he says "brand new generator".........

And its a trailer. Its unusual for trailers to have generators. Mine does, so my mindset is a little different.

Portable generator, whole different story.

Does the shore power work properly when plugged in to a proper plug? EDIT: so the OP says it runs on shore power. What runs, has something been plugged into every 120v receptacle (preferably a circuit tester) and they are all found to be live and wired correctly?

Is it possible that someone wired in a permanent power management unit like the progressive HW30C and it has a 136 second time delay, or someone wired it wrong and it won't admit power? Lots of possible causes here. need a LOT more INFO.

Charles
Old 04-07-2021, 10:50 PM   #11

we have a portable generator. it's a WEN Super Quiet 3800-Watt Gas-Powered RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Fuel Shut-Off. We can plug the shore power cord into a house outlet with a 30amp to 15amp adapter and all the outlets and lights work but we had it plugged into generator for almost 10 mins and had no power
Old 04-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigtig04 View Post
w We can plug the shore power cord into a house outlet with a 30amp to 15amp adapter and all the outlets and lights work but we had it plugged into generator for almost 10 mins and had no power
That sounds like the generator is the problem. Since everything RV is the same when connected to the house outlet as it is when connected to your portable, the problem is not in the RV.

Your RV would not have any transfer switch nor any reason for one if there is no builtin generator. A transfer device is installed to switch between getting 120V power from the cord or from a generator that is permanently installed.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #13

that's what we thought 2 but the generator runs my brother inlaws and my father inlaws trailers just fine. that's what has us scratching our heads
Old 04-09-2021, 02:51 PM   #14

Does the generator have 15 amp receptacles on it? If so have you tried your trailer using the dogbone or adapter you use to plug into your house?

I would open up the power panel where the 120v circuit breakers are, and with it plugged into something that does power it (your house for instance) use a volt meter to probe between the neutral bar and the main circuit breaker input. If you don't know how to do this, find someone who does. Then do the same thing with the generator.

30 amp RV plugs have VERY limited engagement with the receptacle contacts, I do not know why, but 1/4 to 3/16 of an inch is the most you will normally see. Is the shore cord fully plugged into the generator? The design of some shore cord TT30 plugs do not lend themselves to fitting well in power panels where there are any obstructions, such as the two CB guards below the plug on this generator.

https://wenproducts.com/products/wen...-fuel-shut-off

Charles

Tags
switch, transfer switch