Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Mez

Travel light and satellite questions

I am going to be a new TT this upcoming spring. I am trying to prep ahead so I can buy the camper and pretty much be ready to go once it arrives.

1. I was wondering if there are any recommendations for things I should buy before hand that will be really helpful plus how to travel with the things I need and do it lightly?

2. I have a contract with Direct TV, and incase there are any rainy days (which there will be) how is it that I would be able to access my cable and also do I need to buy a specific dish from the camper lots or does Dish or Direct provide those things at an extra cost?

3. Lastly, I seen there is a central vacuuming system you can buy. Is this recommended and does it work with all newer campers?

Thanks!

Mez
Mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #2

Get a really good sewage hose. I have the Rhino hose. Do not use the cheap hose they give you with the trailer. Also have a weight distribution hitch picked out and have a place lined up to install it. Your dealer should be able to do this...even if do not buy the hitch from them.

We have central vac in our 5er. The DW does not like it and does not use it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #3

I agree on the sewer hose. I also have the rhino hose and it has been great.
Maybe a set of lynx levelers I have been happy with them.
Can't help with the vac question as we have a 20ft tralier and just bought a small Dyson for ours.

There are lots of choices for hitches out there. If you are buying one you will need to know the tongue weight of the trailer you are buying not the weight in the brochure.

If you are doing lots of dry camping you may want to upgrade the battery from a single 12 volt to 2 six volt battery's. This will help give you longer run times. Another big help if you are dry camping is a small inverter generator like the Honda 2000 watt or a yamaha 2400 watt. You can buy new or check Craigslist.

And the big thing I would buy is a item called the flush king. This unit hooks up to your sewer out pipe on the trailer. This allows you to back flush your tanks when done camping and get all the stuff out of your tanks. You will be shocked how much extra will come out of your black tank. Even if you tralier comes with a tank flush.

Also get a water pressure regulator so when hooked to city water you don't blow the water lines in the trailer as they are rated At 45 pounds of pressure.

You could also pick up your fresh water hose they must state on the hose safe to drink. 25ft hose base work fine for me.

And as far as tv goes. I don't watch much I just bring some movies or play a game if the weather is not great.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mez View Post
I am going to be a new TT this upcoming spring. I am trying to prep ahead so I can buy the camper and pretty much be ready to go once it arrives. Why not buy them at the same time as the trailer so that they will give you a discount. That's what we do when someone buys a trailer.

2. I have a contract with Direct TV, and incase there are any rainy days (which there will be) how is it that I would be able to access my cable and also do I need to buy a specific dish from the camper lots or does Dish or Direct provide those things at an extra cost?

Most RVs have a "cable TV" connection to hook it up to your cable connection (at park or home, where ever.)
You can buy a portable satellite that seaches itself, just a plain basic one like at home and point yourself, or a roof mounted one that is either auto or manual as well.

3. Lastly, I seen there is a central vacuuming system you can buy. Is this recommended and does it work with all newer campers?

Those are built into the trailer, so compatability is not a question. And they are nice.

Thanks!

Mez
Replied in red.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

Another good item to have is a extra length of electrical cord. Sooner or later you will camp at a site where the post you plug into is to far away from your camper for the cord to reach.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #6

We bought a direct tv 18" dish on a tripod from Amazon. We carry our standard receiver from home and hook it between the tv and the dish. It took us a little bit to figure it out (pointing, positioning, etc), but now we can have the whole rig set up in short order. We aren't charged anything extra by direct tv, and have had good reception every time. Granted, you might have to stick the dish in an awkward spot to get past tree tops and the like, but its usually not hard to pick up the signal.
Treena35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #7

I carry DIRECTV SD setup it connects to the side of the camper where there is a connection for cable and satellite. I have a DIY setup like this RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: DIY Directv HD Dish Mount
Except that mine is an small SD dish, I also lay my dish on its back as can be seen further down in the thread. I have heard that you can lay the HD dish on its back although that will change the Skew angle, I've not tried it yet. Laying the dish on its back works great boondocking in the mountains the wind never blows it over. you will also want to get a small analog signal finder to locate the bird with. I level the stand with the long leg pointing south then place the dish on it and start swinging it left or right until I find satellites then home in on the DIRECTV birds, then enjoy. I have found at least out in the mountains a magnetic compass isn't always accurate as there can be iron deposits near by thus the need to swing it around until you find the correct bird. Every now and then you get lucky, set it on the ground and enjoy but that doesn't happen often. Make sure you have an unobstructed view of the southern sky at least the first few times you set it up and get a feel for it, trees will block the signal. My camper has never been to a CG plugged in or hooked up I am not sure how it react to that or how I would react to being confined to a small space with close neighbors.
F350R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, travel