Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2023, 03:44 PM   #1

Travel Trailer Battery Replacement

My travel trailer battery needs to be replaced. The battery currently in it is a 675 CA deep cell starting battery. TT's obviously don't have a motor. The battery is used for appliances, lights, emergency brakes etc, when the trailer is not connected to a campground pedestal. Why do I need CCA starting Amps. Can I just get a deep cell battery? If so what specifications should I be looking for in a deep cell battery and how much?
bro61021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2023, 03:52 PM   #2

Most 12 volt batteries built for RV deep cycle use are a hybrid battery with a CCA rating.

True deep cycle 12 volt batteries are expensive, so most folks go with 2-6 volt, GC2 , golf cart batteries, wired in series for 12 volts.
Can be found for around $100 but you need 2.

For overnight dry camping on the way to a campground with power, the RV/Marine battery will do the job.

If you want to do more then 1 night at a time, go for deep cycle.

The more AH ( amp hour ) your batteries have, the longer they will last between charges.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 04:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro61021 View Post
My travel trailer battery needs to be replaced. The battery currently in it is a 675 CA deep cell starting battery. TT's obviously don't have a motor. The battery is used for appliances, lights, emergency brakes etc, when the trailer is not connected to a campground pedestal. Why do I need CCA starting Amps. Can I just get a deep cell battery? If so what specifications should I be looking for in a deep cell battery and how much?
CCA is "Cold cranking Amps" The higher the better. I would buy the largest battery you can fit in your battery box. Opt for a Deep cycle battery such as a marine battery unless you do have room for two 6 volt Golf Cart batteries as "Twinboat" suggested. These would need some additional wiring to wire them into series to provide 12 Volts.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would get a group-31 deep cycle battery. If you can not find a 31. Get a group -29.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 04:21 PM   #5

I would advise getting the biggest group size you can. Most RV's come with a cheaper group 24 battery. I had a group 27 battery and it severed me well. But look at a group 31 battery as being the best battery for an RV. That is is you do not want two 6v golf cart batteries that would be better yet.

A lithium ion battery is the best now but might need some modifications to your trailers converter.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 04:27 PM   #6

I'd swap that battery out for two 6V GC batteries. You'll get about 225 Amp Hours capacity and about half that is usable.

Dave
Old 05-03-2023, 05:10 PM   #7

This may help explain some of the mystery but marine /RV battys are not the best / or equivalent to true deep cycle.
Gold cart battys are a great alternative as they are deep cycle, high volume, competitive cost and will likely outlive any marine/RV batty.

https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/

The key is AH rating and it is usually stated as the 20A rate (it will vary with the A draw rate so important to compare the same discharge rate)
Above is true for flooded lead acid and if/when you switch to AGM (sealed) battys much of the above no longer holds true.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:10 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have been very happy with the price and performance of shoe horning in two Costco group 27 DC wet cells to replace the group 24’s my trailer came with. I also upgraded the converter and increased solar panels. A genny used for - 2 hours a day takes care of cloudy days. Cheers!…
Bigfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 07:27 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Here is some nighttime reading material for you:
https://batteryglobe.com/group-27-vs...%2075%20pounds.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:06 AM   #10

Quote:
As you reasoned, you do not need 675 CA performance in your travel trailer.

Engine start batteries are designed to provide extreme high starting current (675 amps) for very short times (10 seconds). The battery installed in your TT will do that in freezing weather.

Nothing in your TT comes anywhere close to that high current. A 12 volt furnace may draw 8 amps. However, it will run for long periods and repeatedly. "Deep Draw" batteries are designed to deliver low currents for long periods. The standard test for amp hour capacity, is to use a discharge that last for 20 hours, not 10 seconds.

If the battery does not have an "Amp Hour" rating, it is probably an engine start battery and will perform poorly in your TT. Ignore "Cold Cranking Amps". Look for an "Amp Hour" rating.

Flooded cell lead acid batteries are the traditional deep cycle battery designs. Gulf cart flooded cell batteries are often cheap and do a good job in travel trailer applications. Gulf cart batteries are typically 6 volts, so you need a minimum of two wired in "series" for your TT.

A battery design that performs better for a TT is an "AGM" type. They work better for both deep draw and small engine starting and so often have both a CCA rating and an Amp Hour rating. AGM batteries often cost more then similar Amp Hour flooded cell batteries. Shop around for price you may find a bargain AGM for little more than a flooded cell battery.

AGM batteries charge and discharge faster than similar flooded cell batteries.

AGM batteries resist damage better when drawn down flat better than flooded cell batteries.

AGM batteries do not require monitoring of water level in the batteries.

Fully charged AGM batteries that are disconnected can be stored for 12 months without damage. Fully charged flooded cell batteries that are disconnected can be stored 6 months without damage.

Unfortunately most AGM batteries don't tolerate high voltage charging as well as flooded cell batteries. 13.6 volts is the maximum most AGM's can tolerate without capacity loss. Some charger use 14.4 volts for long periods and some use 15.0 volts for "conditioning" or "equalizing". These high voltages should not be used on AGM batteries.

14.4 volts for 4 hours on deeply discharged AGM batteries is usually the maximum allowed. See battery manufactures specifications for your battery.

All lead acid battery designs must be stored fully charged for long life. Fully charge for 14 to 18 hours before disconnecting and putting into storage.

Do not let lead acid batteries sit in discharged state for any longer than necessary. A week at 50% SoC is probably OK. Three months at 50% will probably kill the battery altogether. Fully charge 14 to 18 hours as soon as possible.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Charging Lead Acid Bat.pdf (131.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: pdf Storing Lead Acid Batteries.pdf (60.6 KB, 7 views)
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I'd swap that battery out for two 6V GC batteries. You'll get about 225 Amp Hours capacity and about half that is usable.

Dave
If I go from a group 24 acid battery to 2-6 volt batteries does the trailer wiring
or battery cutoff switch need to change. Any impact on my inverter.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would advise getting the biggest group size you can. Most RV's come with a cheaper group 24 battery. I had a group 27 battery and it severed me well. But look at a group 31 battery as being the best battery for an RV. That is is you do not want two 6v golf cart batteries that would be better yet.

A lithium ion battery is the best now but might need some modifications to your trailers converter.
If I upgrade to a higher group is there any impact to my inverter or electric system
Old 05-04-2023, 09:48 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only impact is greater run time, maybe longer operational life. Generally there's no downside past cost, weight and size.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:04 AM   #14

It’s not true that you must upgrade your converter/charger in order to switch to LiFePo4. Takes the same space as a group 27 deep Marine deep cycle, so , it will fit in your existing battery box. You can buy a 100ah one now for around $300. And, you don’t have to change your converter/charger. Your stock converter/charger WILL charge the LFP. You just won’t be able to charge it to 100% of its capacity, because the stock charger is 3 stages, and LFP only has 2 stages. Therefore when the stock charger gets to 80%, it will stop charging a LFP, because it needs 14.4v, and the charger will switch to float at a lower voltage. But the 80% you get will be fully useable down to zero. Think: is it more cost effective to get 80 useable amphrs for $300, or better to get about 150 useable amphrs from 2x 6v GCA flooded batteries for about the same price. You’ll never have to replace the LFP, and don’t have to maintain it. If you need more than 100ah useable, AND you can handle the extra tongue weight of 2x GCA, and you are fine with maintaining them, then 2x GCA is the right choice for you. If you spend the bucks to get 200ah of LiFePo4, then it makes sense to spend the extra bucks to upgrade your charger so you can use 100% of their capacity. Along with that, you gain the advantage of fully charging your batteries in about 25% of the time it takes to charge FLA.

Tags
ace, battery, replace, replacement, trailer, travel, travel trailer