Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2022, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The brakes normal operation is powered thru the 7 pin connector of the tow vehicle.

The controller sends modulated power to the brakes for a adjustable stopping.
Agreed for normal operation. Typing on phone, I tried to be as simple as I could and left that part out. My answer was only for break away switch operation. And I was not 100% sure but the old engineer in me felt that it had to be designed in a fail safe mode.
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2022, 10:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampForever View Post
Well, pulled the hub and the brakes did not look worn. Installed the new break-away switch and tested it with the trailer plugged into the truck and unplugged from the truck. It worked as it was supposed to in every case. I can only conclude the previous switch must have been faulty and somehow didn’t engage the brakes when the pin came out. A miracle? Maybe. Not sure how else to explain it. I can only think of one possibility: I have a shut-off switch on my batteries that may have been off when I was coming home so the switch wouldn’t have had anything to power it when the pin came out. I can’t remember if I’d shut that switch off or not when I left the camping spot. Unless it would have powered off the truck?
Break Away Switch is just 2 spring loaded metal strips that have battery wires connected to each strip.
PIN when inplace holds the strips apart
When pin is pulled the strips make contact completely the DC power from trailer battery to trailer brakes

The strips can get corroded and not make good/clean contact inhibiting current to trailer brakes
The break away switches are not high quality and are exposed to elements

FED requirement is FULL DC Voltage for 15 minutes if trailer separates from tow vehicle and should be DIRECT (not thru a battery disconnect)

With your New switch.....you should 'exercise' the switch occasionally (beginning of camp season) by pulling pin/install repeat to 'wipe' the strips and help keep them clean

https://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/g...u41561_800.jpg
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 12:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Break Away Switch is just 2 spring loaded metal strips that have battery wires connected to each strip.
PIN when inplace holds the strips apart
When pin is pulled the strips make contact completely the DC power from trailer battery to trailer brakes

The strips can get corroded and not make good/clean contact inhibiting current to trailer brakes
The break away switches are not high quality and are exposed to elements

FED requirement is FULL DC Voltage for 15 minutes if trailer separates from tow vehicle and should be DIRECT (not thru a battery disconnect)

With your New switch.....you should 'exercise' the switch occasionally (beginning of camp season) by pulling pin/install repeat to 'wipe' the strips and help keep them clean

https://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/g...u41561_800.jpg
Picture in Link ^^^^^
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:23 PM   #18

Once a year, I check the breakaway switch by pulling the center plunger out and seeing if the trailer or toad moves. The first time I did this the breakaway switch fell apart showing a lot of water had gotten inside the switch and rusted the rivets that were supposed to hold the plastic case together!

I replaced the switch with a "weather proof" switch, and I still check it once a year.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 02:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Once a year, I check the breakaway switch by pulling the center plunger out and seeing if the trailer or toad moves. The first time I did this the breakaway switch fell apart showing a lot of water had gotten inside the switch and rusted the rivets that were supposed to hold the plastic case together!

I replaced the switch with a "weather proof" switch, and I still check it once a year.
Good idea. I also carry a spare in my truck

Dave
Old 09-10-2022, 02:44 PM   #20

Thanks Old-Biscuit.

I have never heard about pulling the pin and re-installing. I may have to add a spare to my parts inventory. Not going to pull the pin without one in hand.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:09 PM   #21

On my trailer the brakes are attached to the salesman switch. You must turn on the switch to get power to the battery to maintain battery and activate break away switch. It was designed that way. To prevent battery from being drained as you tow down the road to ensure battery power will be there in case!
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
On my trailer the brakes are attached to the salesman switch. You must turn on the switch to get power to the battery to maintain battery and activate break away switch. It was designed that way. To prevent battery from being drained as you tow down the road to ensure battery power will be there in case!
That sounds like a bad, and probably illegal, setup; it relies on you turning your battery switch on in order to have functional emergency trailer brakes. Pretty sure none of my trailers work that way and the break-away switch is wired directly to the batteries, not through the switch.

Dave
Old 09-16-2022, 10:59 PM   #23

To clarify, the battery shut-off switch was installed by me at the battery bank (4 6-Volts wired in series and parallel). Near as I can tell, if that switch is turned off, I don’t believe any power would be going to the trailer brakes break-away switch and I’m thinking one of two things, either I had that switch off when I left the campsite OR the batteries were too weak to engage the brakes when the pin came out because I know for a fact the batteries were at 50% when I left the campsite. Either way, for some reason, the trailer brakes appear to never have engaged.
CampForever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, switch, trailer, travel, travel trailer