Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #1

Travel Trailer 'lurching' at highway speeds

Hi there
This weekend we went to the beach for a couple of nights and took our travel trailer. At highway speeds - around 60-65 mph - we experienced a new phenomenon for us - there was a steady lurching which appeared to be coming from the trailer and after a short while it became extremely monotonous and tiring.
The only difference from our previous trip and this one that I can think of is that I replaced one of the wheels/tires with the spare. The spare is new and is the same tire as the other three on the trailer. The wheel, however, does not have any balancing weights on it so I assume that it has not been balanced. Could this cause that effect?
The trailer is a 2016 KZ Sportsmen 330 bkh and I am pulling it with a GMC Sierra 2500HD. I am the second owner of the trailer and it has not been heavily used.

Please advise if you think the speare wheel/tire may be causing the issue or if you have experienced anything similar.

Many thanks!
Kayandmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
"Lurching"??? Can you give us a little more, and better, description of this new "phenomenon"?

Is it "lurching" forward and rearward? Side to side? Up and down? At any speed? When braking?

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayandmal View Post
Hi there
This weekend we went to the beach for a couple of nights and took our travel trailer. At highway speeds - around 60-65 mph - we experienced a new phenomenon for us - there was a steady lurching which appeared to be coming from the trailer and after a short while it became extremely monotonous and tiring.
The only difference from our previous trip and this one that I can think of is that I replaced one of the wheels/tires with the spare. The spare is new and is the same tire as the other three on the trailer. The wheel, however, does not have any balancing weights on it so I assume that it has not been balanced. Could this cause that effect?
The trailer is a 2016 KZ Sportsmen 330 bkh and I am pulling it with a GMC Sierra 2500HD. I am the second owner of the trailer and it has not been heavily used.

Please advise if you think the speare wheel/tire may be causing the issue or if you have experienced anything similar.

Many thanks!

how full were your tanks?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:16 PM   #4

Lanerd - it was a surging feeling back and forth if that helps.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:18 PM   #5

ModestMonk - water was 2/3 full. All others were empty to 1/3.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I would guess not enough weight on the hitch....
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:18 PM   #7

It's called porpoise'ing. A feeling like someone is slamming the brakes on and off.
Usually it's from not enough weight on the tongue. The front of the TT is too high.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:34 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayandmal View Post
ModestMonk - water was 2/3 full. All others were empty to 1/3.
About 46 gallons or 380 #'s. I couldn't verify, but it sounds like your tanks are behind your axles. Perhaps as suggested your hitch weight wasn't sufficient.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:13 AM   #9

There are some highways that cause the problem and not much can be done.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
There are some highways that cause the problem and not much can be done.
Rolly polly type roads, as in rough roads? If it's that, you need to slow way down. We have a section that the road surface might as well been sculpted from the ALCAN highway. Water permeates under the surface so there is terrible frost heaves. I end up doing less that twenty mph.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
What brake controller do you have and what setting is it at? Maybe those are pulsing.

Have you weighed your trailer know it's actual tongue weight compared to it's gross actual weight.

Where are your tanks located? In front or rear of axels?
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #12

Travel Trailer 'lurching' at highway speeds

Good call ModestMonk--I have experienced this when tank(s) are over 1/2 full.
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
What brake controller do you have and what setting is it at? Maybe those are pulsing.

Have you weighed your trailer know it's actual tongue weight compared to it's gross actual weight.

Where are your tanks located? In front or rear of axels?
I'm familiar with his trailer and setup somewhat. He's using the on board controller in a GMC 2500HD diesel ('08) His truck is almost identical to mine, and when my brake controller is active, it shows on the display how hard it's working.

Good idea to crawl underneath and verify tank locations.

He stated that this happened on both his outbound and return trip. I'd be 99% positive his holding tanks were empty in both directions, and with whatever water he stated was on board.

This is a new occurrence with this trailer. He's pulled it to Denver and back, Dallas and back, so forth without this happening.

What HAS happened recently though is he suffered some road damage to the road side skirt and into the tire and wheel. The forward wheel of his trailer was bent slightly, and he hot swapped the the spare onto the axle. I think he had the bent wheel replaced?? maybe not, regardless it's in the spare location at the moment.

What I noticed is that the forward tire (that was the spare) does not have a balancing weight on it. I have no idea if this could contribute to the problem.

You don't suppose the road damage could have further damaged his axle or bearing, and the shop didn't catch it?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
AND water sloshing aft and fore does fit the description of the feeling he described to me.

He also stated it was worse on concrete than asphalt....
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel trailer