Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #1

Any one add the airbags or dexter ez-flex to there twin axal trailer?
http://dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_suspension

I have been thinking of a way to help smooth out long rides while towing , this seamed to be a reasonable in price. But not knowing if my money would be better off spent on a full air bag equalizer arm stet up I would ask here first.

I have a 31 ' holiday rambler thats right at 9000 lbs going down the road with dual 5000lb axals and 225-75-16E radial tires, it does have 4 wheel shocks on it now and they are in good shape This trailer tows good but I would like it to be more comfortable for long halls. The truck isnt a issue , I have a 2006 2500 hd crew cab with a duramax with bilstein shocks on it.

Any and all advice is welcome , thank you !
Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #2

Any one add the airbags or dexter ez-flex to there twin axal trailer?
http://dexteraxle.com/e_z_flex_suspension

I have been thinking of a way to help smooth out long rides while towing , this seamed to be a reasonable in price. But not knowing if my money would be better off spent on a full air bag equalizer arm stet up I would ask here first.

I have a 31 ' holiday rambler thats right at 9000 lbs going down the road with dual 5000lb axals and 225-75-16E radial tires, it does have 4 wheel shocks on it now and they are in good shape This trailer tows good but I would like it to be more comfortable for long halls. The truck isnt a issue , I have a 2006 2500 hd crew cab with a duramax with bilstein shocks on it.

Any and all advice is welcome , thank you !
Mark
Old 03-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #3

Please be a bit more specific? exactly how is it uncomfortable? Are you talking about the bounce between truck and trailer? Or are you talking about the trailer bouncing too much?
Look at TrailAir air ride pin box, Centerpoint suspension, or the new torque flex suspension from the same manufacturer. The air pin box will reduce by about 95% the bounce between truck and trailer. The center point suspension will do the same for the trailers ride.
One other thing, I just noticed that your truck is a 2500HD, riding on stock LT245 tires. Better go to the scales. The truck will weigh right at 7500 pounds ready to go camping minus trailer. The trailers pin weight will be at 2000 pounds. which will put you overloaded. Might want to invest in new LT265's to safely handle the over loaded. Also look at air bags to bring the truck back level.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
my trailer has a Demco Glide Ride Pinbox and also the Mor/ryde RE System on its three axles and it's the smoothest towing trailer I've ever owned. I think most of the smoothness is attributable to the Demco, you might want to look into getting one.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:53 AM   #5

Its a travel trailer not a 5ht wheel... I only have 930 LBS of weight added (wet) to the back of the truck , and I run on 265/75/26 E range tires. I am well with in the safe limits of the truck and tow ratings , thats not my issues. I am looking to get the best poss ride in the truck for long hauls. Does any one have any comments on replaceing the stock solid equlizers to a rubber or air system ? All I am hopeing for is to get some of the trailer transmited bumps off the back of the truck . I have owned and driven 3/4 ~1 ton trucks as my daily drivers since 1993 , I am not looking for miricles just a noticable improvement. The truck with out the trailer rides great , almost as good as some 1/2 ton trucks 15 years ago (newer trucks ride like cars).
Old 04-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xc-mark:
Its a travel trailer not a 5ht wheel... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops! Somehow I had it in my mind you were pulling a 5th wheel, sure makes my reply off base. It seems "450Donn" may have made the same presumption.

Sorry.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #7

xc-mark,
Our rig is very similar to yours. I had a lot of bounce between the trailer and truck when going over expansion strip on concrete highways. Here is a link to an air hitch that I bought. It sure does make the ride more tolerable. There were some stretchs of highway that were real bad and now it is not perfectly smooth but 90% better.

http://airsafehitches.com/receiver_hitches.html#Class5
Old 04-02-2007, 04:04 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by xc-mark:
Its a travel trailer not a 5ht wheel... I only have 930 LBS of weight added (wet) to the back of the truck , and I run on 265/75/26 E range tires. I am well with in the safe limits of the truck and tow ratings , thats not my issues. I am looking to get the best poss ride in the truck for long hauls. Does any one have any comments on replaceing the stock solid equlizers to a rubber or air system ? All I am hopeing for is to get some of the trailer transmited bumps off the back of the truck . I have owned and driven 3/4 ~1 ton trucks as my daily drivers since 1993 , I am not looking for miricles just a noticable improvement. The truck with out the trailer rides great , almost as good as some 1/2 ton trucks 15 years ago (newer trucks ride like cars). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you really running 26" tires? That would make a huge difference!I suspect it was mistyped and should be 16". Have you followed the setup instructions for the equalizing hitch? This makes the biggest difference in towing of anything else you can do. 930# is less than 10% of 10,000#, this may be contributing to your issue, because a pull-type trailer should have a minimum of 10% tongue weight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #9

If you want the trailer ride to be better look into the MorRyde systems. They have an IS (Inipendant Suspension) I have this and the RE (Rubber Equalizer)system. The IS is top of the line and I am loving it. The RE is a deffinet improvement over stock and cost less. I have heard the air bag hitches are good too. You can look at MorRyde infor at http://www.morryde.com/
Hope this helps
Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #10

I just installed the TrailAir Equa-Flex on our 2 axle toy hauler. What an improvement. and a much better quality of materials than the cheap China made original equipment with plastic bushings.
Trailair is now a part of Lippert as of Jan 2007, according to the secretary that I spoke with
thumperlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #11

Ray your right... 225/75/16E tires ,they are BF goodrich comercial TA tires at 80 psi. EMPTY the trailer is 7380lbs(dry)acording to the holiday rambler sticker , I figure that water/propane and the placement of those tanks would add 400 lbs to the hitch of the trailer. Black and gray water tanks are behind the axal so they would subtract weight at the tongue. camping goods would total around 800~900 lbs so thats still right at 8700 lbs gross weight so 930 lbs is well over the 10% min . I has a brand new reese duel cam set up that I put on it and yes its as per manufacure specs and suggestions. Honestly it tows better then any other trailer I have moved thats around the same weight , I just wanted to know if there was any product that are worth spending money on to make the long concrete highway trips smoother.....I am the only driver and many times I travel by myself (not married and no kids) so driver burn out can be a consern.
4 years ago my best record was set , Key west FL to Foxboro Ma with fuel and one dinner stop .... Non stop towing 31 hour , Not sure If I would do the non stop trip again.... It took 2 days to recover from that.

Thank you to all that have good ideas .

Mark
Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 AM   #12
CD

Mark
Your problem may be tire pressure. Do you really need 80psi. Weigh you loaded rig by axle and get a tire pressure chart. It would appear to me that you don't need that much pressure. 80psi will ride like a rock unless you have full load on them.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote