Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #15

I've traveled in both. I would not want to take a long trip hauling a TT, even a small one. For long distance were we'll be on the road most of the time - a Class-B or Class-C would be my choice. I've never traveled in a Class-A but assume it would be similar to a Class-C.

For snow-birding where we'll be for several months at a time I prefer the TTs. Unkook, set it up and you're free to drive off somewhere. No need to maintain 2 vehicles. There is no wasted cab area space. It's all usable space.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #16

We were exactly where you are two years ago. Looking for an RV to escape the summer heat of the S&B location for the next 5-6 years and see the country. We had a vehicle that would tow a TT that we could easily afford, but also looked at MHs that we could afford, but that would stretch the budget and put us in a position that would require us to be more careful with our money than we had been.

Can't give you a comparison of the vehicles as we went ahead and bought the MH. But we can speak to the budget issues. Either one is going to cost more than you think, furnishing it, and outfitting it with the things you will need to live in it, so in your purchase budget include the price of those things then add 20%. Sometimes the budget constraints we knowingly took on will weigh on you, especially if you are used to giving lots of cash to the kids. It would have been way cheaper to go with the TT. That said, when we travel with our friends in their TT, everyone ends up in our MH for dinner and drinks. We are happy with our decision.

Have you considered renting both types to see how you like each type?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrh111 View Post
I'm hoping someone can help with this issue. My wife and I want to travel the U.S. from June through Sept/Oct during the next 5-6 years. We'd like to spend anywhere from a week to a month at various locations.

We've been seriously considering the purchase of a 40 ft/4 slide 2010 Tiffin Phaeton; but we've been hesitating on finalizing the deal. Even though we are retired, we can afford it but it would mean we'd have to budget our money more. Currently, we're pretty free to splurge when we want to or when one of our kids or grandkids need a little help.

We can much more easily afford a new 27 to 32 foot travel trailer. We've looked at Winnebago and also Crossroads.

Would really appreciate hearing from experienced travel trailer folks about whether taking a travel trailer on extended trips (3-5 months) is doable and advisable. We have a SUV that can pull up 9600 lbs. Any advise on TT brands would be helpful too.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has traveled with both a travel trailer and a motorhome. (Pros/Cons)

Thanks much,
Larry
We have traveled and lived-in a TT, a 5er, and now a MH.

Addressing your projections; your SUV may be rated for a maximum tow rating of 9,600#- however, it's maximum tow rating depends on how much weight you put in it when ready to drive away. NEVER use the unloaded or empty weight to properly and safely match your tow vehicle to a trailer, only use the trailer's GVW number-unless you plan to travel with an empty trailer. That fact may mean buying a new tow vehicle as well as the trailer.

For us, staying in one place for weeks/months; a TT or 5er was definitely the better choice, even though it meant our daily driver was a 3/4 or 1T pickup.

Since our traveling style has changed to seldom staying in one place longer than a week, we bought a MH, had DW's Jeep setup for towing, and enjoy our new method of traveling.
A Class A motorhome is the most expensive way to travel according to everything I've read from multiple sources. For instance, you can replace 4 trailer tires for the price of 2 lower-priced MH tires. Yet, we own a MH, it is our choice.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had both but never full timed in either and at this point don't plan on it. This is how I see some major differences.

1. Travel trailers and all other pull behinds are not made as well as MH's. No shocks, just barely enough tire and axle carrying capacities. Usually the frames are minimal to save weight. Since you don't ride in it you don't realize how flimsy the frame is.

2. BIG BIG advantage to most TT's is there is a greater ability to have more floor space. The 5-ver's are good with the space thing. For a lot less $$$$ you can have much more living and storage space. You could probably get close to the same amount of space in a MH but the cost would be way up there.

3. When you travel with a MH during the cooler weather when you stop for lunch everything is warm inside. The DW can potty when ever she has to. Set up and breakdown is easier. I really like the view out the front and enjoy being higher than most vehicles. I'm more comfortable driving the MH than I am driving a pick-up pulling a TT. I feel in more control. Even traveling down 2-lane roads and in traffic it is still very comfortable.

4. The MH is built on a truck chassis. It is inherently more stable when parked and with the automatic leveling systems on even most entry level coaches it is a breeze to set up.

Beyond those differences it is usually a matter of comfort, choice and budget. No one answer is correct just choices.

TeJay
Old 10-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #19

Travel Trailer Advantage: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrh111 View Post
I'm hoping someone can help with this issue. My wife and I want to travel the U.S. from June through Sept/Oct during the next 5-6 years. We'd like to spend anywhere from a week to a month at various locations.

We've been seriously considering the purchase of a 40 ft/4 slide 2010 Tiffin Phaeton; but we've been hesitating on finalizing the deal. Even though we are retired, we can afford it but it would mean we'd have to budget our money more. Currently, we're pretty free to splurge when we want to or when one of our kids or grandkids need a little help.

We can much more easily afford a new 27 to 32 foot travel trailer. We've looked at Winnebago and also Crossroads.

Would really appreciate hearing from experienced travel trailer folks about whether taking a travel trailer on extended trips (3-5 months) is doable and advisable. We have a SUV that can pull up 9600 lbs. Any advise on TT brands would be helpful too.

Also, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has traveled with both a travel trailer and a motorhome. (Pros/Cons)

Thanks much,
Larry

It sounds as though you have time and resources so why not rent one then the other and you'll have a better understanding of which one will best meet your needs. Either is doable but it's what meets your needs or personal desires that is important. Just a thought.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #21

I've seen a lot of comments that say travel trailers & 5ers are cheaper than MH. In some cases your right, usually if you already have a suitable tow vehicle . If not, than you have to add the cost of the tow vehicle.
A decent used travel or 5er, I mean one suitable for extended stay , at least from what I've been seeing is going to start around 8k- 12k used, & now you need a truck. From what I see that's another 15-20k for a decent used truck, so that's roughly 30k.
I find suitable Used MHs regularly for less than that.
I think if one already has a suitable truck anyway, than sure, a trailer or 5er is probably cheaper.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #22

Been RVing since the 50's. Have had many TTs, Class C's, DP, A's and now have B+. We enjoyed each one at the time, but IMHO, a MH is by far my preferred mode of travel. I suppose if one is stationary for months on end, well there would be more living space in a large 5er but much less storage space than a like sized DP.

If you want to travel a lot, well, as others have said, in a MH, you are in your home all the time, even when you are stopped in traffic. Not so when towing your home. The comparison is profoundly different and favors the MH in almost every category, albeit the MH costs more than any equivalent sized towed vehicle and is more complex.

Well you asked for views, I noted you got a lot of them. We downsized from having 2 each 40' DP's because we changed our lifestyle. The smaller rig suits us fine now,

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
We love our Winnebago TT. Much cheaper to buy and you use a LOT less fuel. Next to no insurance cost either. Just because you have the money does not mean you should waste it. None of these rigs are an "investment"... Just a question of how much $$ can you avoid losing and still do everything you want.
Not to mention your tow vehicle can go to town without having to buy another car to drag along! Unhooking a TT is easier than disconnecting a towed car, too!
Sorry, but I have to disagree on many of your points. I have owned everything from tents to DP's.
Yes, a TT may be cheaper to buy, but you get what you pay for. As for investment, the TT is probably the least likely to give you any return. I have bought motorhomes, used them and sold them at a fairly good profit. Good deals are out there and you don't have to buy new or near new to get a great coach with all the amenities. That solves the loss of value. If bought right, you will only lose a bit. I spent as much buying my Coach as a good towing truck.

Having a coach means that IS your tow vehicle and towing a car lets you get around.

As for unhooking your TT, I'd race you anytime against my towbar! Takes me just over a minute. I timed it yesterday.

You are right on a couple of things though regarding costs to keep and use a TT as opposed to a coach. It is cheaper, however, I feel that you compromise comfort and quality in doing so.

I tow my 4x4.

Just my opinion.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Been RVing since the 50's. Have had many TTs, Class C's, DP, A's and now have B+. We enjoyed each one at the time, but IMHO, a MH is by far my preferred mode of travel. I suppose if one is stationary for months on end, well there would be more living space in a large 5er but much less storage space than a like sized DP.

If you want to travel a lot, well, as others have said, in a MH, you are in your home all the time, even when you are stopped in traffic. Not so when towing your home. The comparison is profoundly different and favors the MH in almost every category, albeit the MH costs more than any equivalent sized towed vehicle and is more complex.

Well you asked for views, I noted you got a lot of them. We downsized from having 2 each 40' DP's because we changed our lifestyle. The smaller rig suits us fine now,

Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.
We sold our 40' 5er and bought a 40' DP, MH. We cannot get everything we removed from the 5er into the MH even though we have re-arranged all storage areas both inside and out, several times. This was quite surprising to us, since we believed that more storage thing too. As I said earlier, class A is the most expensive way to RV, and is echoed by every site that addresses RVing expenses.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 10-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
If I were to go back to a tt I would get the best hitch system on the market. I hated pulling our tt with those useless friction sway bars. Get the Hensley hitch or something equivalent or you will not enjoy pulling the tt.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #26

I can't imagine having so much stuff to take that it can't fit in a 40 ft MH.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:48 PM   #27

That was t nice if me to say... My apologies
Old 10-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
That was t nice if me to say... My apologies
That was quite alright, no offense taken. Quite often the written word does not come out like we meant.

Tags
motorhome, travel, travel trailer