Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #1

Traveling with full tank of water

Hi Folks,

Newby question, have a new Salem cruiselite 24' and I'm wondering before I set out on our inaugural trip whether I should fill the water tank or fill at the camp ground. This trip is a short one and only for three night, shakedown trip. I would hate to hear the fresh water tank ripping off as we drive but one would expect that you could drive with it full for boondocking etc. Just looking for confirmation

Thanks Lee
Leec12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2020, 10:22 AM   #2

Opinions differ but I put in a full tank of water in first campout of the year and keep it full or near full until the final trip of the year.

In the past where I live we had frequent power failures and that meant the water well went down too.

I look at our RV sitting there with Fuel, Water and Generator on board as our lifeboat if need be.

I know others that depending on where the water tank is located it changes the way their trailer pulls. One friend's trailer would sway above 50 mph if he didn't have a tank of water on board. Others are weight conscious because they're already overloaded but don't want to admit it.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #3

If you are sure you can get water at the campground why risk towing with the extra weight? I always towed empty if I was not on multi day/night trip.

Water weighs a lot at 8.34 lbs per gallon.

If you decide to fill up at the park run the park water from the spigot until the water is clear. Sometimes rusty water comes out 1st until it clears up.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put about 10 gallons in my fresh water tank before I leave on any trip. Just enough for bathroom use and hand washing.

I have experimented with filling it completely when I knew I was going to hit pretty good wind gusts. The extra weight might have helped a tiny bit but not enough to do it all the time.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leec12 View Post
Hi Folks,

Newby question, have a new Salem cruiselite 24' and I'm wondering before I set out on our inaugural trip whether I should fill the water tank or fill at the camp ground. This trip is a short one and only for three night, shakedown trip. I would hate to hear the fresh water tank ripping off as we drive but one would expect that you could drive with it full for boondocking etc. Just looking for confirmation

Thanks Lee
If you’re concerned about a full water tank ripping off the trailer there must be some other concerns as well.

You should be able to tow it fully loaded anytime you want. Load it up and take
the rig to the scales and get it weighed. That should be part of your shakedown trip.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 12:56 PM   #6

The tank will be fine traveling full.
I travel with mine empty because the manufacturer placed it all the way forward. Filling it adds about 150 lbs to my tongue weight. The gate valve on the tank is the low point when going out of my driveway. When the tank is full the valve is about 1.5 inches lower which makes my clearance negative leaving the driveway. First time I tried leaving the driveway with the tank full I had to lay down boards to raise the rear end. Luckily, I had my wife watching the clearance. The clearance is a potential issue on trips entering or exiting driveways.
Tomahawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:43 AM   #7

I dont travel with much in my tanks, thats just burning extra fuel and we travel pretty heavy anyway. We have a fuzion with over 100 gallons fresh capacity so its a pretty substantial amount of water.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:46 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Since this is a shake down cruise tow one way with it full and the other with it empty. See what kind of difference it makes. I have always just towed with whatever happens to be in there at the time unless I knew I was going to need it. When it needed filling I filled it all the way. I do the same in the bus.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 05:50 AM   #9

We find our class c rides better with tank almost full,less hard ride. Additional fuel use is negiable with the e450
cherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:08 AM   #10

I always run with a full tank if I'm going somewhere without full hookups. Been doing that for years. As far as the extra weight goes I don't notice any difference in mpg's.
Look under your trailer to see if they put any supports under the tank. Many in the lower price range just have the tank hanging on a couple pieces of thin angle iron with flimsy metal straps as backup.
Mine has a thick piece of angle iron running cross ways under it. It's never going to fall out. I have an 80 gal fresh tank so the added support is definitely needed.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I put about 10 gallons in my fresh water tank before I leave on any trip. Just enough for bathroom use and hand washing.

Same here. No reason to haul extra weight of something that you know you'll have when you get to the site.
Old 06-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #12
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I have had 2 TT, 1 class A and 2 class C RVs. Always travel with a full fresh water tank. I use that water for very thing. I do not buy bottled water because it just pollutes the environment.

The time will come when you finally pull into your campsite and the water is REALLY bad. I always have the dog have the first taste at a new campground and the end of a travel day. When she does not like it. We do not use it.

With the exception of my class A. All my campers had the fresh water tank inside on the camper floor under something.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Unless you’re planning on boondocking there is no reason to carry a full tank. It’s just extra weight you will be carrying around. The only time I would do it was if I knew the water at the CG had a taste I didn’t like.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Since this is a shake down cruise tow one way with it full and the other with it empty. See what kind of difference it makes
agree with spdracr39 - might as well find out how it handles in both extremes. My rig def feels different if I have full fresh or full black and grey. Neither is bad, just different.
rbTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, travel, water