Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #85

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
Your gas water heater, when installed in the garage, is required to be 18" off the floor. Because of the "open flame". The open flame of the refrigerator in an RV is typically greater than 18" off the ground.
So I think the risk of ignition in the gas station is minimal.
I’m not an expert on this subject and I doubt that there is much of a risk of having a major fuel spill in your garage which is always a possibility at a gas station. I would agree that the risk is low under normal situations however most accidents don’t seem to happen under normal circumstances. I certainly wouldn’t want to be holding a lite candle even 5 foot off the ground in the middle of an accidental fuel spill. The risk is real or they wouldn’t spell it out in the operating manual, at least it’s spelled out pretty clearly in our Lazy Daze manual.
balijoe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 12:52 PM   #86

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If any of y'all want to live totally free of risk, you are chasing an unattainable goal. As close as you might get is to sell your motorhome and move into an underground bunker far from any city. I've heard that Wyoming is nice. Never leave the house again because something bad might happen while you are gone. And, this is important, be sure to reinforce the roof against meteorites. You just never know what might happen.

All of us need to assess the risk of any particular activity, then decide whether the benefit is worth the risk. To me, having my ice cream stay frozen is worth the risk of a stray fuel vapor jumping into the back of my reefer and incinerating my entire rig. I accept that risk and I accept whatever consequences might come from my reckless decision. My insurance is paid up, too.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:48 PM   #87

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyOne View Post
That's because too many people think their personal opinions, experiences, and preferences are somehow relevant to the discussion. They just aren't. This isn't a Gallop Poll and we're not voting on anything.

My opinion on any subject isn't going to be affected by some old fart who says "well, I've been doing it that way for 30 years so it must be OK".

If everybody would limit their comments to facts, this thread would be 1 page instead of 7.
Fact: There are no laws prohibiting the use of propane while driving in the state of New Mexico.

Fact: some states require you to turn off your propane at gas stations and tunnels.

For further facts like this use the search engine of your choice to determine which states you will be traveling through and adhere to such laws.

Yes, I know that's the obvious answer but the way I read the OP's first post was he wanted a general consensus on the use of propane while traveling. Getting irritated because there are so many opinions on this subject or the lack of facts just means you should just ignore the topic and go find better things to do with your time. I personally find the discussion interesting as it examines both sides of the issues in a civil manner. We aren't politicians (I assume) so this discourse is both allowed and encouraged.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:36 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyOne View Post
If any of y'all want to live totally free of risk, you are chasing an unattainable goal. As close as you might get is to sell your motorhome and move into an underground bunker far from any city. I've heard that Wyoming is nice. Never leave the house again because something bad might happen while you are gone. And, this is important, be sure to reinforce the roof against meteorites. You just never know what might happen.

All of us need to assess the risk of any particular activity, then decide whether the benefit is worth the risk. To me, having my ice cream stay frozen is worth the risk of a stray fuel vapor jumping into the back of my reefer and incinerating my entire rig. I accept that risk and I accept whatever consequences might come from my reckless decision. My insurance is paid up, too.
Exactly. We all have different levels of acceptable risk. I base my decisions on facts, not feelings.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:42 AM   #89

I travel with gas to fridge on. No W/H or furnace on. My fridge will not stay cool if not left on. I have tried.
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:24 AM   #90

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Fact: I've never seen an RV fridge start a fire at a gas station. I've personally seen one on fire far away from a gas station.

Feelings: I feel pretty confident based on what I've seen and read on the matter that it's much harder for the RV fridge to ignite gasoline vapors at a filling station than some people believe, and it's far more dangerous to share the road in these RVs with so many other people. I also like diesel, harder to ignite.

But that's just me.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #91

Thor Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Always on even in tunnels and gas stations.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
Always on even in tunnels and gas stations.
Oh you daredevil.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #93

Every time this topic appears, I am drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Always looking for the definitive answer, technically, legally, experiential, etc. Always ends up like the watching of a rerun of a favorite movie; the ending never changes, kind of like the War Between the States, regardless of the dialogue, however witty and amusing. The hero either rides off into the sunset with the heroine, or vice versa if you please, or he/she dies an heroic, glorious death. Whichever occurs, one either loves the ending or hates it just like when you first viewed the flick. At least in Ground Hog Day Bill Murray figured out how to get his woman.
gwalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, travel