Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

Troubleshooting Furnace Issues

First off my travel trailer is a:

2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite (34ft) trailer.

So our propane furnace was initially working for a week. Eventually I was noticing that the heat wasn't turning on when it should have been. My conclusion was that the heater was calibrated wrong, so when it should have come on at 70 but was 60 and doing nothing, I bumped up the heat to about 75/80. The heat would come on if set to the higher temperatures, but I knew that it was about 10-15 degrees off.

After about a week I noticed that the furnace wasn't coming on at all. The fans work fine, but the furnace won't respond at all. I tried installing a new thermostat in hopes that maybe calibration was the issue, but it didn't solve it.

RV fixing place wants to charge $250 to come out and diagnose (whether or not they find the issue), and then another $100+/hour to fix. So I am trying to avoid that.

Something I noticed, but don't know if it matters:

On the fuse box, I notice that there is a 25amp fuse where the manufacture sticker guide states a 15amp fuse should be. The A/C fuse switch itself is a 20amp. The fuse isn't burnt out or anything.

Like I said, one day the furnace was working, then suddenly it's not responding at all. When I turn on the heat no air at all moves in the camper, so no cold air from the vents either. I don't hear any clicking or anything.

Any thoughts would be helpful!
damioncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

The " Files " drop box ; in the blue bar across the page , to the right of your " User CP ", go to the section " Heating and cooling " for a document . On ; RV furnace troubleshooting " for a downloadable pdf.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It could be something as simple as one of the thermostat wire broke/came loose from the main board in the furnace. ESP now that you mention no fans at all. Common furnace issues where the burner fails to light include bad sail switch, poor igniter, bad gas valve. All of these would have the fan run it's course. The Sail switch insures that there is airflow from the fan before opening the gas valve and is the most common failure followed by a bad igniter. Not sure if you are connected to shore power or not, but it could also be a dead/low battery.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

Howdy and Welcome!
It would help if you would post the Brand/Model of your furnace

Some of the newer units have a 'check' before operating. If Sail Switch is closed (failed/stuck) the circuit board will NOT start any function

Furnace Fan not starting points to:
Stuck Sail Switch
Tripped ON/OFF CB Switch on furnace
Bad Pwr or Blw circuit on the board

12VDC is AT furnace from that fused source....it also goes to Thermostat
When Thermostat Closes....12VDC is sent back to circuit board to start fan (purge cycle) then DC thru sail/limit switch circuit goes back to circuit board to start ignition cycle

Voltmeter...
Check for DC AT thermostat
No DC then you will need to access furnace and check DC to circuit board and if that On/Off CB switch is tripped
**Shouldn't have a 25A fuse on DC supply to furnace
Are you the Original Owner??
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #5

furnace problem

i am new to the camper world but i am full timing it.i have a sf30rq suburban heater.i was having trouble with my old heater and since it was 20 years old i figured i would just buy a new core.the old one would work sometimes then other times it would go into lock out.then it started not working at all and going into lockout everytime.i put new core in and it does the same thing.after that i thought maybe regulator has gone bad,new one and still no heat.all my other gas appliances work fine.any suggestions would be appreciated.
richard765 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, troubleshooting