Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #15

Simple answer, first check your set up for towing. You may be taking to much weight off drive tires. My preference in tread is Goodyear wrangler tread.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 PM   #16

All terrain
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #17

Grand Design Owners Club
First of all, stick with the manufacturers recommended tire size. All tires have a series of ratings , one of which is wet traction. Look at tirerack.com. Filter by vehicle then look at specifications. Off road or all terrains are typically do not have the wet rating of highway tires. Good luck.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I really like Michelin Defender LT tires on my pickup. They got me through winter in East Idaho and give great grip on wet roads. Lots of sizes to choose from. They are not AT tires, so if you want AT tires, these are not your tires. AT tires always seem to give up something on pavement in order to be better in AT conditions. The Michelin Defender tires have never gotten stuck in reasonable off road driving, like staying out of mud and sand.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #19

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richamor View Post
more rubber = better traction. Go bigger not smaller.

But something doesn't sound quite right. Your trailer brakes may be working but it doesn't sound like they're working properly. What brake controller are you using?
Not always true!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #20

Smile Tyre size and tread.

Before you proceed it appears new tires are in order front and rear if practical. 10 ply load range E are what I would be looking for in the proper size base on your manufacturer recommendation on the door sticker. If you spend time off pavement then All Terrain may be your choice. Just remember that aggressive treads tend to sing as they wear. Also remember, that install instructions are a starting point for the hitch and brake controller. Each install is different with weight distributions and pivot points. After everything is hooked and every thing is loaded where it will be during trips, then is the time to take it out for real world road test. Find a location away from traffic and congestion. Choose a long stretch of dry hard surface. From a dead stop, accelerate and find the best rate of acceleration to keep the wheels from spinning. Once to speed limits and away from traffic apply the brakes to determine the point that the trailer is actually slowing your truck before the truck wheel lock up. The trailer brakes should be creating drag just in advance of the truck braking tire slides. Now do the test again. If they both stop equally, then you should be good to go. If the truck locks first this is a prescription for jack knifing. Continue to adjust the system until you have combined stopping from the trailer and truck. When the trailer wheels are locking, determine if are the black marks are consistent showing all wheels the same. If one side is more than the other, then have the trailer brakes adjusted for equal balance on both sides. ( By the way make sure any objects inside that could end up on the floor are already on the floor and avoid breakage). Just keep in mind that keeping a 12,000 pound object from running over your truck requires lots of finesse on the brakes while keeping your truck off the vehicle in front of you. Good Luck
Professorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:23 PM   #21

after reading all the tire engineers answers and shaking my head I re-read your post. The "not so new tires" kind of stuck out a little when considering the sliding and spinning at stop and go. Don't go skinny when you replace but do replace. Check you air pressures and brake settings then see what happens on stop and start. I would want good rubber on the road before doing the cargo and tongue settings/balance. Start simple and with what you stated is already the obvious...tires. good luck.
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote