Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #1

Question TT Brake Service

Last year we bought 2017 Prowler 28ft. I would like to service/clean the brakes before this season. I'm looking for the information and for some reason I don't see proper instruction how to clean it.

Is it necessary to open the drums and clean it?
If yes, can I open the drum and spray all parts with brake cleaner?
Shurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #2

To inspect the brakes the drums need to be removed.

I don't know if others would agree but I have used compressed air to blow off the shoes and backing plates.Wear a mask !
I have also sprayed the dust off with water first then blow but this was done on vehicles.Not sure if water could damage the electric brake module.

There should be grease on the backing plates where the shoes come in contact.

Soak a rag in brake cleaner or acetone and wipe out the drums.

Might as well service the bearings at this time and replace the seals.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #3

What king of grease I can use on on the backing plates?

Right, I've planned to service bearings as well. I'm going to use wheel bearing grease, right? Is there any preferable grease?
Old 03-21-2021, 10:47 PM   #4

Unless the trailer has had a lot of miles put on it and/or you are having some problems/concerns with the brakes, it's unlikely they need anything. Of course, it can't hurt to check them out. Bearings are a good idea and are pretty easy/cheap. I'm getting old and lazy so I just pay my local tire shop to do it. It's around $100/axle and come to think of it they inspect the brakes at the same time so thinking they remove the drums to do it? In any case, if the tire shop does everything for $200 it can't take that long or be too difficult.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #5

If you want to "clean" the brakes, the easiest and best way is to pull the drum/hubs, and take a garden hose with a spray nozzle and spray the brakes down. This will wash off all of the brake dust and leave the brakes looking like new. Been doing it for 45 years now on drum brakes. Allow them to dry and use a light penetrant (I use Aerokroil) and lube the thread on the adjuster and the pivots where the magnet arm pivots and also the magnet slider. If you remove the seal and the bearings and clean out the grease in the hub, just throw the drum out in the grass and hose it off too. Allow it to dry good in the sun and wipe everything and re-grease the spindle and the bearing races.

Very few people do a good job at packing bearings by hand. That was my first job as an apprentice aircraft mechanic in the early 1970's but I had already been doing it on cars for a couple of years before that. Today, I use a bearing packer. I have a Snap On one that is identical to this GEARWRENCH Hand Bearing Packer - 2775D

And recently I bought this Lisle 34550 Handy Packer Bearing Packer

They both work well. I use an arbor press but you can throw a clean shop towel over it and set it on the floor and stand on it, or turn it sideways and put it in a vise (they have ribs on the bottom to help them locate in the vise jaws.)

Charles
Old 03-22-2021, 06:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurik View Post
What king of grease I can use on on the backing plates?

Right, I've planned to service bearings as well. I'm going to use wheel bearing grease, right? Is there any preferable grease?
Good info here.....
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0001942.pdf
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:00 PM   #7

Unfortunately I don't know what is the mileage on this trailer, I bought it last summer and it's 2017 model (was build in summer of 2016).

Any chance someone experienced the the same behavior?
During the last summer, when I was coming to full stop (probably around 10-15 mph) the truck and the trailer were swinging (going back and forth for a few seconds). It happened probably 5-6 times during the whole season. I though the brake controller output was too high, tried to lower it, but it didn't help.

Any idea what can cause it?
Old 03-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't know what is the mileage on this trailer, I bought it last summer and it's 2017 model (was build in summer of 2016).

Any chance someone experienced the the same behavior?
During the last summer, when I was coming to full stop (probably around 10-15 mph) the truck and the trailer were swinging (going back and forth for a few seconds). It happened probably 5-6 times during the whole season. I though the brake controller output was too high, tried to lower it, but it didn't help.

Any idea what can cause it?
I am thinking no trailer brakes, truck trying to stop the whole thing by itself. Drum brakes you have magnets at each wheel that activates the brakes. If these are not getting an electric signal the brakes will not work. Using a multimeter check the voltage at each wheel while somebody is pressing the brake pedal.
Another way to see if each wheel is working is to pull the emergency brake breakaway cable and see if you can move the trailer. BUT do not leave the plugger out for over a few minutes at the most.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Last year we bought 2017 Prowler 28ft. I would like to service/clean the brakes before this season. I'm looking for the information and for some reason I don't see proper instruction how to clean it.

Is it necessary to open the drums and clean it?
If yes, can I open the drum and spray all parts with brake cleaner?
First time.....

I would recommend you download/print out this Operationan Maintenance Service Manual by Dexter (even if you do not have Dexter Axles)
Very good info about electric brakes, axles/hubs, bearings etc

READ it, Study it...then dive in and work on yours
http://www.dexterpartsonline.com/fil...e%20Manual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
I am thinking no trailer brakes, truck trying to stop the whole thing by itself. Drum brakes you have magnets at each wheel that activates the brakes. If these are not getting an electric signal the brakes will not work. Using a multimeter check the voltage at each wheel while somebody is pressing the brake pedal.
Another way to see if each wheel is working is to pull the emergency brake breakaway cable and see if you can move the trailer. BUT do not leave the plugger out for over a few minutes at the most.
Interesting point. Actually I read in the truck manual (f150), it doesn’t apply trailer brakes if the speed is less than 12 or 15 mph.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Interesting point. Actually I read in the truck manual (f150), it doesn’t apply trailer brakes if the speed is less than 12 or 15 mph.
That should be really helpful on snow covered roads! What was ford thinking with this?

Tags
brake, service