Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 03:06 PM   #1

TT flat tire ?

so to my knowledge TT don't come with a lifting jack,.. so how would you replace a tire if you had to ?

cheers

mike
Northernking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 03:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernking View Post
so to my knowledge TT don't come with a lifting jack,.. so how would you replace a tire if you had to ?

cheers

mike

Is it a single axle or double axle trailer? On my double axle, I just used enough leveling blocks under the good tire to raise it up enough to take the flat one off.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:28 PM   #3

Get a floor jack at Harbor Freight, the aluminum one, light weight and easy to store. Might want to get a couple of chocks also.

Don't forget you have to have a cross-jack tire tool.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
Get a floor jack at Harbor Freight, the aluminum one, light weight and easy to store. Might want to get a couple of chocks also.

Don't forget you have to have a cross-jack tire tool.

whats a "cross-jack tire tool " ?

where would I actually lift my 21' trailer ?

I purchased a TT this past wknd .. it has tandem axials

mike
Old 09-20-2021, 05:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redleg View Post
Is it a single axle or double axle trailer? On my double axle, I just used enough leveling blocks under the good tire to raise it up enough to take the flat one off.

i don't quite follow ... how would i get the blocks under the good tire ?

mike
Old 09-20-2021, 05:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use the jack from your tow vehicle.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 06:34 PM   #7

Quote:
i don't quite follow ... how would i get the blocks under the good tire ?

mike
Assuming you have blocks, put several, you'll need four inches lift at least, in front or behind your good tire on the same side as your flat tire. Back up or pull forward to put the good tire on the blocks, That will lift the flat tire off the ground so you can remove it. You may have to add more blocks. Add them offset, so the tire mounts one block at a time.
A cross wrench is just four lug sockets, on a "cross", one of which will fit your camper lugs.
Your vehicle jack will work if it's the "scissors" type. Put it under the frame, near the flat tire.
When you get home, get a 4T bottle jack from Harbor Freight.
Good luck, hope you haven't been stuck all this time. Bad introdurction to pulling a trailer!
Tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:40 PM   #8

I got this and it has worked well. Only problem I ran into was that the original wheels are aluminum and the spare was steel. The lug nuts sort of fit but when I got back home I got some lug nuts that specifically fit the steel wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-l...09633946&psc=1
Old 09-20-2021, 09:59 PM   #9

Quote:

cheers

mike
Here are a couple of videos, one using the Trailer Aid and one using a bottle jack:

https://youtu.be/755hmEWAW_c

https://youtu.be/66MYdnRZ7Ho

I carry a couple of 6 ton bottle jacks and some blocking....a lot carry even stronger jacks. If you use any type of jack, do not jack up on the axle tube. Jack on the frame if possible or under the leaf spring U-bolt.

Ensure you tighten the lug nuts on the spare to the proper torque.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:39 AM   #10

1. Having a road service plan is a good idea even though service time can vary depending on where you are. In our trailer days, I only had to use my service once to have a tire removed and the spare installed. I was at a campground and the service call went very smoothly.

2. I always carried a bottle jack with me, and I knew from my owner's manual where it should be placed to safely lift the axle for removal of a tire.

3. If directions aren't in your owner's manual or you don't have one, contact the manufacturer for information on safely changing a tire.

Over about 24 years of travelling with a pop-up trailer or travel trailer, I never had a flat tire. Some of that is luck, but some of it may be that I monitored and adjusted air pressure before hitting the road. I replaced cheap OEM tires with good tires, and replaced tires when they were five to six years old. And, I didn't overload our trailers.

Hope this helps!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 06:05 AM   #11

Ditto on a bottle jack.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ack-56739.html
Old 09-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #12

WOW some great info here guys ..... thank you so much !
cheers
mike
Old 09-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #13

Depends on your trailer suspension. If you have a torsion bar suspension, you’ll likely be able to lift the axle with the bad tire off the ground by pulling the good axle tires up onto a pair of ellipticals. If not quite enough, a couple of 3ft 2x6 plus the ellipticals should do it. Just make sure you x-chock the tires on the good side before you start work.

Tags
tire