Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #1

TT in the middle lane.

I'm sure this will offend someone but it is not my intent.

Can anyone tell me why so many people towing a TT hang in the middle lane. I live in NJ and all summer long I see them on the parkway. Drivers sometimes 2 or more traveling together refuse to give up the middle lane. Traffic backs up for miles as everyone else tries to get around them. I just do not understand it .It is rude and dangerous .
gmacecsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have noticed this as typical practice in CO as well. My only guess is that people don't know how to merge for the right lane, which causes people hauling to brake often or attempt to get over in which case no one lets them move over for merging traffic. So to avoid the hassle and save some fuel, they hang out in the center lane. Personally it doesn't bother me, here in CO the law is to stay right unless passing, but no one follows that law and so the only ones that bother me are the people that hang out in the left lane, and that's mostly commuters and idiots. Seldom do you see a trailer or rig in the left lane.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:34 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukerj View Post
I have noticed this as typical practice in CO as well. My only guess is that people don't know how to merge for the right lane, which causes people hauling to brake often or attempt to get over in which case no one lets them move over for merging traffic. So to avoid the hassle and save some fuel, they hang out in the center lane. Personally it doesn't bother me, here in CO the law is to stay right unless passing, but no one follows that law and so the only ones that bother me are the people that hang out in the left lane, and that's mostly commuters and idiots. Seldom do you see a trailer or rig in the left lane.
Exactly right. If you stay in the right right lane, you have to constantly brake/slow down for people who do not know how to merge, because people to the left of you will not let you over. To avoid all of that, we use the 2nd lane if there are 3 or more lanes and there is heavy traffic. It is safer this way, trying to stay in the right lane can be dangerous.

Jake
Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes the MAIN reason for running the middle lane IS idiots flying up the entrance ramps, not looking to their left and just pulling right into the travel lane sometime without the room for them to fit. From driving truck for 20+ years yes this is what I did all the time for just this reason. Now with the motor home I still do the same thing for the same reason. Also there are those that think they HAVE TO slow down BEFORE getting on the exit ramp.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All states have different laws but for me at least here in CA the far right (slow lane) often becomes an exit lane, just the way our roadways are set up. In heavy traffic it's often white knuckle tying to get out of an exit lane smoothly. I often stay in the middle to avoid getting stuck. Plus as stated there are so many drivers that either can't merge smoothly.
CNPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #6

Not just TT's either. I run center land for all the above. You will also see truckers doing it too. Appearantly "merge" and "yield" are no longer topics of instructions in driver training courses. And exit only lanes are just as evil as the people who wont let you out of them.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If there is a middle lane and congestion, I take it. I always thought people appreciated it because there is nothing worse than trying to merge and blend with vehicles over 60' in the right lane. You can get trapped there pretty fast, and Denver you may find yourself on a different highway if you hang there too long. I keep the left lane open.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Biggest issue is the right lane is constantly merging traffic either on or off the highways. Requires sudden acceleration or constant braking to get the indecisive merging cars and often very dangerous not to mention nerve racking. Middle lane is usually only my passing lane but with a large amount of entering and exiting traffic, it makes sense to drive there.

My 2 cents......
Deweydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree, in heavy traffic in town I'm in the middle lane (or at least one lane to the left of the right-hand lane) - regardless of what I'm driving. That way I don't have to dodge the folks coming and going from the freeway. My general rule of thumb is if the entrance/exit ramps are more than 5 miles apart then I'll move to the right lane. If the exits are closer together than that then you'll find me in the middle lane.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
If there is a middle lane and congestion, I take it. I always thought people appreciated it because there is nothing worse than trying to merge and blend with vehicles over 60' in the right lane. You can get trapped there pretty fast, and Denver you may find yourself on a different highway if you hang there too long. I keep the left lane open.
No kidding - I absolutely hate traveling on 25 through Denver- Might as well set the park brake and just wait it out!

70 is no better.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacecsko View Post

Can anyone tell me why so many people towing a TT hang in the middle lane. I live in NJ and all summer long I see them on the parkway. Drivers sometimes 2 or more traveling together refuse to give up the middle lane. Traffic backs up for miles as everyone else tries to get around them. I just do not understand it .It is rude and dangerous .
Yup, do it all the time and will continue to do it.

When people learn how to merge onto the highway I might consider traveling in the right lane.

I am not compromising my families safety so you dont have to go around me, sorry
Old 09-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ditto, but typically YOU will be the one slowing me down as I am very comfortable driving thru town and traffic at the speed limit...

In the 'Mixmaster' near downtown Dallas
(so named because some traffic engineer decided multiple INTERSTATES needed to merge there... or is it called that from all the wrecks ?!? )

anyway, they have one of many what I call suicide lanes, meaning the right lane just goes away without warning... first time through there years ago I was in a Class c towing a jeep and learned about it all of a sudden
Old 09-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Yup, do it all the time and will continue to do it.

When people learn how to merge onto the highway I might consider traveling in the right lane.

I am not compromising my families safety so you dont have to go around me, sorry
+1.

On my last trip out east, it seemed like people would come down the ramps at the posted ramp speed, pull in front of me at 35mph, and then consider speeding up. If I can easily reach the speed limit by the bottom of the ramp towing my TT, then an empty SUV should be able too.

Worse, even if I slowed to let them in front of me, they'd jam on their brakes at the last second when they saw a big vehicle in the right lane, not realizing that I had slowed for them. After dealing with this constantly, I gave up and moved to the center lane.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacecsko View Post

So.... do you understand now?

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote