Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #1

TT Insurance - why so much?

Buying our first RV - taking delivery in 2 weeks. I've called several insurance carriers and gotten quotes with Travelers (who my auto policy is with), State Farm, and Progressive. So far Progressive seems to be the most RV friendly with their coverage options.

What I'm having a hard time understanding is the cost. I've heard many on this forum saying they are paying $150-$200/year for a full policy. My driving record is great, no claims. 2017 Forest River TT stated value I gave them is $27K, 40K MSRP), and I'm still getting rates between $400-$500/year depending on the carrier and coverage options.

Does this sound right, and is this in line with what others are paying?
54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #2

I think I'm paying less than $200/yr. For pretty much the same priced TT as you.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #3

Looks like you're in Florida, probably considered a higher risk area due to hurricanes.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
Looks like you're in Florida, probably considered a higher risk area due to hurricanes.

Good point. I'll bet you're right.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:29 AM   #5

We pay a little over $200. We have ours tied into our auto/home policy. I found all the big names are too high. We dumped Farmers years ago for Mutual of Enumclaw. We go thru an independent agent that gets the cheapest rate for us. We literally saved $100's by dropping Farmers, of which we'd had for many years.

FYI it's a 5th wheel, MSRP $40,000 5 years ago.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #6

Not only hurricanes, other risks in Florida seem to drive up insurance rates. For example, there seem to be a substantial number of underinsured or uninsured motorists. Some locales in FL are higher than orthers, of course. You cannot really expect to compare your rates to somebody's in a different state with different insurance laws. Also, as a newbie to rv's, you might get a high rate than a long time rv driver (some people make errors as they learn to handle their new rig, of course you will be careful). On my motorhome, I got a better rate using an agent than shopping directly with Progressive, so try to shop both ways.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

Thanks Wendy. I thought about the newbie element, but none of the companies I spoke with asked me about prior experience. Agreed on the un/underinsured motorists. I'd be curious to hear some rates from anyone from FL. I actually tried Progressive direct and got a better rate through my agent, to your point. Figured it would be the opposite.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Fun View Post
Thanks Wendy. I thought about the newbie element, but none of the companies I spoke with asked me about prior experience. Agreed on the un/underinsured motorists. I'd be curious to hear some rates from anyone from FL. I actually tried Progressive direct and got a better rate through my agent, to your point. Figured it would be the opposite.
Interestingly, Progressive asked us about our experience last year when getting a quote for the motorhome insurance (our first rv; I assumed they rated me higher when I admitted to being a newbie). I think they asked again this year when we bought through an agent. So likely they ask different questions for motorized vs towable. Maybe they have a worse claim history for newbie MH drivers vs newbie towable.
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:19 PM   #9

We just bought out first RV last month and went with National General Insurance. Our rate is $599/yr. Guess we need to shop around. We are in PA so no hurricanes, lol
gabby691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Brand new Vibe 322QBS. Stated value is 35k. Im paying 325/yr thru Auto-Owners.
Stroker548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We're under $200 a year with Nationwide. Did get quotes from both State Farm and Farmers and both were twice as much for the RV trailer part.

We're still shopping for total insurance for cars, home and RV. Just resently did a quote from Farmers which on the surface looked 10-15% lower, but once I dug into the policy there was a lot less coverage.

An independent agent might be the way to go next. My agent just keeps saying we have to pay for all the floods and hurricanes in other parts of the country. One $1500 outing claim in the last 20 years with NW.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Through Auto Owners my TT 20k value policy is $108 dollars a year.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 05:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
Through Auto Owners my TT 20k value policy is $108 dollars a year.
Assuming you have an auto policy with them, and the RV is an add-on? I need to shop around more...
Old 05-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #14

When it comes to insurance, you have to make sure you are doing fair comparisons. What is the coverage? What does it replace: full purchase value, or a depreciated amount? Deductible amounts? Where is it stored at? Where is it registered at? You can get excellent coverage for cheap, but if your deductible is $2000, is it worth it if something goes wrong? I bought my first RV a few years back, and a storm put some branches straight through the roof! Progressive did me right and covered it (- deductible of course)! Some companies may have balked or mandate I take it somewhere crazy for repair. When it comes to insurance shopping, be careful! You get what you pay for!
LA_RV_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance