Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #1

TT Length, towing with F150

I've posted previously about towing capacity for my vehicle and have gotten some good feedback and thoughts.

There are a lot of Light and Ultra Light units out there that are appealing to me. However what are your collective thoughts about the length being an issue towing with a half ton with the 145 inch wheel base.

Two areas of concern:

1) Just getting down the road with a longer trailer, even if the weight is well within the limits of the vehicle.

2) Getting into camping spots. At what point doe the length of the vehicle/TT really complicate things to a point that camp ground navigation is stressful?

Anyone with a half tonner towing a 27+ trailer much?
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

I'm pulling a Winnebago 27' Ultralite and a F150. No problems.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd75mac View Post
I'm pulling a Winnebago 27' Ultralite and a F150. No problems.
Thanks for the reply....

Do you have the HD towing level in your pickup? I have the 5.0 and the towing limit is 7700
Old 12-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

My trailer is about 6800lbs total, 24' box (28' overall) , with 800lbs on the hitch (oem spec was 500lbs hitch, 5000lbs dry, no water, no gas, no gear, no battery) . With a cap, gear in the back and family onboard we were several hundred pounds over the rear axle weight limit, and you could feel it! Traded it for a 3/4 ton in the spring. Last summer was the first ever where driving with the trailer was relaxing. The best part is real power steering, none of that electric no feedback crap. Available payload has gone from 1500 to 2800lbs.

If I had bought a little smaller I may have been able to keep the f150 if I had upgraded to LT tires.

My 5.0 had the 3.73 gears and was rated for about 9700lbs. Honestly, it could probably comfortably tow half what it's rated for without upsetting driveability. Up to 6% grades were ok, after that the tranny would start heating up.

Parking is no big problem if you have good tow mirrors and a spotter with a FRS radio.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #5

Evening Parrott head, We towed an '07 Cougar 29RLS which was 31' in total length with our '13 XLT HD Ecoboost. It towed it with ease but knew it was back there if a semi passed us or there was any side breezes, heck we even knew it was back there with our '04 6.0 F-250. DW decided we needed to downgrade so we went with a '14 26sab Cougar 5er. Turns out it was a fantastic decision as our little 150 doesn't even know it's back there. Have not had any issues with side breezes or passing semi's. Allot more stable. Also the 5er is allot easier to get into our favorite campsites in the FSCG we frequent.
campnfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Many national parks have smaller/shorter parking spaces at the campsite. I was able to get my truck and trailer, 40 feet overall length, into a parking area for a campsite that was claimed to be 35 feet overall length by using the overhang of the back of the trailer to go back as far as I could without backing into a tree, and using the angle of the parking pad to the access road to my advantage and parking on the long side of the parking pad. Then dropping the trailer and parking so the tongue of the trailer was almost touching the bumper when I backed in to park.

I have a trailer that is 24 foot long overall, and the truck is 16 feet long. It rides well, pulls great, and is everything I need for the dog and I, but I am not you, and the campsite I am talking about may not be just like every campsite you would go to, but it is my experience and it might help you.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by campnfool View Post
DW decided we needed to downgrade so we went with a '14 26sab Cougar 5er. Turns out it was a fantastic decision as our little 150 doesn't even know it's back there. Have not had any issues with side breezes or passing semi's. Allot more stable. Also the 5er is allot easier to get into our favorite campsites in the FSCG we frequent.
Do you have the 5.5 bed or the 6.5 bed on your truck?
Old 12-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrott_head View Post
Thanks for the reply....

Do you have the HD towing level in your pickup? I have the 5.0 and the towing limit is 7700
I have a 3.7 Ecoboost and the tow limit is 10,600. Last summer while pulling my loaded TT towards Texas, a F250 and I had an uphill race and he lost every time.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A turbo can be a good replacement for displacement if set up right, and I'll bet that Ford set theirs up right to make power and meet EPA standards. If I hadn't gone diesel, I wold have very likely gone EcoBoost.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our first setup was a 14ft single axle towed with a Ram 1500. We boondocked a lot and it was fun and easy to use.

We moved up to a bigger TT this summer. Our 18ft is 21ft over all and gives us bunks to store gear. We looked at bigger, but I am glad we stayed in the range that we did. There were no problems at campsites, and it fits our needs well. We also moved up to a newer Ram 1500 that gets better gas mileage, so win-win all around.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd75mac View Post
I have a 3.7 Ecoboost and the tow limit is 10,600. Last summer while pulling my loaded TT towards Texas, a F250 and I had an uphill race and he lost every time.
That's about the dumbest thing I've read lately.
What year F250, what motor and what were they towing and did they even want to race you? Good grief.
Hey I smoked a 2015 Corvette the other day. I guess he didn't know I was racing him. Oh ya I was in a 2015 Camry 4cy.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post

Friendly little fella, aren't ya?
Old 12-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
What year F250, what motor and what were they towing and did they even want to race you? Good grief.
Hey I smoked a 2015 Corvette the other day. I guess he didn't know I was racing him. Oh ya I was in a 2015 Camry 4cy.
Why do you have to make comments like that on here? It's uncalled for.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:28 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
There are several things at issue here.

You may be able to "tow" the trailer with the Ecoboost. It is an awesome engine with lots of power. But there are restrictions that Ford places on the truck in the fine print.

Towing capacity is much like MSRP. An interesting number that does not mean much in the real world. If you are towing bare with not options other than towing options and a tiny lady was driving you would probably be OK. However if you add any options, fuel, family, firewood, etc the number quickly drops. Adding 4x4 should make it seem like it will tow more but sadly it drops the rating.

Ford makes reference in the fine print that the towing number is only valid if the GVWR, GAWR and GCWR are not exceeded. Unfortunately unlike MSRP where everyone expects a discount the towing capacity seems to be taken at face value. It is cherry picking and the onus is on the operator as Ford has made it's disclaimers.

If the GVWR, GAWR and GCWR numbers work you should be OK. You will probably be on the edge so any questionable conditions of wind or roadway would have a cautious driver slow down or pull off.

Amazing how folks will cherry pick numbers and then try to justify them with "tows good" or "just fine". Life is a gamble and running on the edge is just that. You have placed your family and people around you at greater risk.

I prefer to take my risks by assuming that: "It is not if you are going to have an accident it is when you are going to have an accident". While not everyone is going to have an accident I have seen enough trailers in the ditch to know that they are happening.

Tags
tow, towing