Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
TT Tire advice

It's time to replace our tires (we'll replace them all, since it's been 9 years and we had blow out this week). We should prob think about replacing the truck tires too, since they are the same age, but that will be another post.

We have Goodyear Marathon Radials, ST225/75R15.

Can I have suggestions for the best tire to replace these with? Do any of you recommend replacing the spare, even though it's never been used and it looks fine?

Thanks for any help.
Doris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #2

IIWM- I'd go w/highest load rating I could find, might be H rated, or in a 15" might top out @ G.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
IIWM- I'd go w/highest load rating I could find, might be H rated, or in a 15" might top out @ G.
Suggestions on a brand?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
The local goodyear place and Camping World said we should stick with a D. The D shows a max load of 2200, while our tires say max load 2540. But ours also say load D on them.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Goodyear's website still shows 2540 lbs @ 65 psig for an ST225/75R-15 Load Range D Marathon. See HERE.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Goodyear's website still shows 2540 lbs @ 65 psig for an ST225/75R-15 Load Range D Marathon. See HERE.

Rusty
Yes, they do show it, but they no longer make it. It now is only rated at 2150 lbs. Our local Goodyear place might be able to find some places that still have it in stock, but he can't be sure he can get all four. He just told us it does not come in an E, and he won't put the new one on, since he thinks we would be asking for trouble. Camping World said they would put on the 2150, but I'm not sure we want to do that.

He suggested we try other brands, but to be sure to get one made specifically for trailers, since they are free wheeling and need to have enough inside of them to not be damaged when turning corners.

We just don't know what to do now.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
I definitely wouldn't put a tire on that's rated lower than what you have now. Although I've never run them, Maxxis shows to have a Load Range D (2540 lbs) and a Load Range E (2830 lbs) trailer tire in your 225/75R-15 size - see HERE and (if necessary) click on the Specifications tab.

Rusty
Old 05-19-2009, 07:04 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tow-Master

I just finished replacing my trailer tires with Tow-Masters. My tire guy said the Tow-Masters are the same as the Goodyear Marathon's built on the same factory line, just without the Goodyear name. Much cheaper......So far they ride better than the original tires I had. The new one seem to have a better sidewall construction. I don't get as much bounce.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Thank you. I did find that Goodyear makes the towmasters on the internet, but they build them how towmaster wants them (I've read, no idea if it's true), so they are different from the marathons. I'm not saying better or worse, since I have no idea.
I plan on looking more into both of these types, thank you guys, for the info.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #10

I have used Marthons with good luck in the past, just so pricey.

I tried the Towmasters, I am not impressed with them, they are currently on 5th wheel. Also tried Maxxis, hated them.

The one I like now are Carlise load range 'E' that I have put on boat trailer and this is what will go on 5th when needed.

The load range E, weight rating is 2830 lbs per tire! They are holding up great. Like them. Of course all my trailers are 225/75R15, which does limit finding a E range tire. I have considered upgrading 5th to 16" wheels then you can get LT tires with higher weight rating and get them everwhere.

I would recommend replacing spare tire, tires have a life span of approx 5 years and then the compound deteriorates, add a little heat going down the road and it will fail soon! I had this happen to me once, had a tire fail, put on the spare which i thought was good, went about 100 miles and it went.
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Doris,

Not to get into a brand war, but before you make a decision, you might want to run a Google search on "Carlisle tire failure".

There just aren't a lot of good options with 15" trailer tires. Too bad Michelin doesn't make the XPS Rib in a 15" version - it's a great Load Range E 16" trailer tire.

Rusty
Old 05-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Doris,

Not to get into a brand war, but before you make a decision, you might want to run a Google search on "Carlisle tire failure".

There just aren't a lot of good options with 15" trailer tires. Too bad Michelin doesn't make the XPS Rib in a 15" version - it's a great Load Range E 16" trailer tire.

Rusty
Rusty, I've talked with so many tire people on the phone this morning, and gotten so much different info, my head could very well explode. I can't believe how many tire dealers see no problem with us putting on a tire meant to hold less weight than what we have now. One guy says no one even asks but me, they just replace what they have with what they think is the same thing.
In any case, the Goodyear guy is trying to see if he can locate four of the 'older' Marathons (he is the only guy who does not want to put the new ones on), to arrive in the next few days. If he can't, we are going with the maxxi's based on what I found on the internet (that said, there is np perfect tire).

Thanks everyone for yoru help.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 AM   #13

Quote:
I definitely wouldn't put a tire on that's rated lower than what you have now. Although I've never run them, Maxxis shows to have a Load Range D (2540 lbs) and a Load Range E (2830 lbs) trailer tire in your 225/75R-15 size - see HERE and (if necessary) click on the Specifications tab.

Rusty
I use the Maxxis 225/75/R15 D tires and have been happy with them. They are rated at 2540 a tire. No point in going to a bigger tire if your wheels are not rated for it as well.

https://community.webshots.com/user/flagypsy57
flagypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #14

Heavier load range trailer tires generally have beefier sidewalls. I've seen trailer's wag off the shoulder pavement lip & coming back on get pushed off the bead from the weak sidewall. Another sidewall problem is clipping a curb where there is a metal drain inlet in the curb face; the way they make those now, it is easy to get a pinch-flat on a thin sidewall (done it w/the Acura so I'm sure you could do it w/a ton on a tire). I'd go heavy on the load range for the better sidewalls, not the load rating per se.