RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2020, 02:57 PM   #1

TV Reception

I have had 3 trailers and 2 motor homes. Everyone had an issue with reception. I have added new improved antenna’s and still cannot get the tv locked on a station. Ever since the transmission switched to all digital the sensitivity to adjustment is impossible. I scan the channels and find dozens of stations but the picture pixelates all the time. I bought an alignment meter which has helped finding the best direction but still does not produce a solid tune. Anyone else have this issue ?
seniorgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #2

You need a clear line of sight. No trees. And it helps to be closer to a city.
https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html
Try this site. It lets you see how far you are from the actual transmitters. Pixelization is from a signal issue. Also depends on the rv
Remember to turn the antenna on.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #3

This seems like a good solution.

OldStyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

Check the coax connections on the cables and onto the connectors......Are you using the antenna amp?
Old 09-24-2020, 04:40 PM   #5

how old is your TV, there can be quite a difference in the ability of TV tuners
to capture a weak signal
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #6

Over the air (OTA) TV has been a iffy situation for as long as there has been TV. You can have the best antenna, best TV, best booster and still have times when pixelation or “No Signal” crop up. It’s just a fact of life.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
You need a clear line of sight. No trees. And it helps to be closer to a city.
https://www.antennasdirect.com/transmitter-locator.html
Try this site. It lets you see how far you are from the actual transmitters. Pixelization is from a signal issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Check the coax connections on the cables and onto the connectors......Are you using the antenna amp?
Two sets of excellent advice !

The higher you can mount your antenna the better. This may mean some kind of temporary mast that you take down when traveling. The good news is, with digital OTA, those old giant antennas are no longer needed ! This is clearly designed for a permanent installation, but with some ingenuity It could be mounted on an RV.

Channel Master STEALTHtenna

Even digital antennas work better when "aimed" at the tower. Some way to aim an antenna is important.

Last thing to try is buy a new antenna wire with factory installed ends. Temporarily hook it directly from the antenna to the TV and see if you get better results.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #8

Has anyone had success with Satellite TV reception?
If so how did you do it.
Thanks in advance.
ExtremeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeOne View Post
Has anyone had success with Satellite TV reception?
If so how did you do it.
Thanks in advance.
You need to start your own thread.....
Old 09-25-2020, 11:01 AM   #10

I mounted my cell signal booster antenna to a telescoping flag pole to get better reception. Seems to work fine.
I haven't had Satellite in my home in many years so my knowledge of the current systems is lacking. Fundamentally, it should work with no issues. You need a Set Top Box (STB) that does the decoding with an active account (it used to be on an ID card that looked like a credit card with a chip), a cable, and an antenna. The antenna more or less needs a clear line of sight to the actual satellite. There are two different antennas, the typical one you see on houses that needs to be pointed at the satellite and an omni antenna that doesn't need to be pointed. The STB has diagnostic built in to help point the antenna. You used to be able to go to a website that would give you the azimuth and elevation angles to point the antenna. I think if I had a clear line of sight I could aim the antenna in about 5 minutes. If I was doing it, I'd use one of the tripods that lets you move the antenna around and away from the RV. On the system I had I could just take a STB from one of my rooms move it to the RV connect the cables, plug it in, point the antenna, and start watching. The newer whole house DVRs require a network so that probably won't work if you have that type of system. The STB didn't know where they were unless you told them (enter zip code) or you connected it to a phone line. The new ones might but I doubt it because that would involve a GPS chip set and signal.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #11

Now days, cheapest way for sat, is Dish pay-as you-go mobile program......Use a automatic tailgater and a Genie receiver......... can buy both on EBay.....
Old 09-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldStyle View Post

Why would a link to lubricating black tank valves be Germaine to this question? Just wondering.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Why would a link to lubricating black tank valves be Germaine to this question? Just wondering.
May have to do with what's on TV now.
It all should go down the crapper.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
may have to do with what's on tv now.
It all should go down the crapper.

🤭🤭🤭
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote