Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #1

TV / TV Combination validation

I'd really appreciate a few people double checking my planned TV / TT combination... Thanks in advance

I own a 2019 F-150 3.5l ecoboost with both the heavy duty payload and max trailer tow packages. So that includes the integrated brake controller and some type of backup assist. Specs say max trailer weight 11,500#, GCWR 17100#. Sticker on the door states max payload about 2500# and GVWR 7850#. Max tongue weight of 500# without and 1320# with WDH

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...F150_Oct25.pdf

I'm considering a Keystone Outback 210URS as the TT. Specs say dry weight 4590# with a tongue weight of 485#. Carrying capacity is 1910, so I assume that means max weight when loaded properly of 6500#. So a max tongue weight (15%) would be 975#

https://www.keystonerv.com/travel-tr...ravel-trailer/

Dry:
Subtract occupant weight (me, wife, two 10 year old daughters) of 400#. I understand the sticker assumes a driver of 150# so I factored that into the 400#. Subtract the unloaded tongue weight of about 500#. So I should have about 1500# of capacity for stuff right?

Fully loaded:
Occupants 400#, tongue weight 975#. So I should have 1125# of cargo capacity.

Either scenario keeps the trailer weight below the max trailer weight spec.

I'm not sure what to do with the GCWR. I'd need to know the weight of the TV right? Not sure where to get that number.

Thanks
Lleaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2019, 11:42 AM   #2

Congratulations!

You are one of the few of us on the forum that have an HDPP F150.

It is a very capable Tow Vehicle, with ratings that exceed many 250/2500 models. Having the longer wheelbase is a plus too.

I have a 2018 HDPP, mine is 2wd, so the ratings are just a tad different than yours.

You will be fine with the trailer you are looking at. In fact, you can go much larger and still have plenty of capacity left over.

Your GCWR of 17100 is the max total of the trailer and truck loaded. (without getting on a scale for an exact weight of your truck, you can see from your stickers that your truck (dry) is about 5350.

If you maxed out the payload of your truck (not recommended, I like to stay below 80%), that would be 7850, and if you maxed out the weight on the trailer, that would be 6500. Those two numbers, added together are 14350, well below your max of 17100.

To further encourage you that you are on the right path, we've pulled our fully loaded Toy Hauler (5800 lbs) all over the US, including many mountain passes, (Teton pass at 10% grade for one) and the power, stopping and handling were great.

We recently upgraded our Toy Hauler to one that maxes out at 9000 lbs. Last time we pulled it, it scaled at 8700 lbs. Again, it is well below the max #'s and it pulled, stopped and handled great.

Get a good WD hitch, keep the weight in the truck at 80% or lower than your 2500 payload, and you should be very happy with it.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM Rolling View Post
Congratulations!

You are one of the few of us on the forum that have an HDPP F150.

Thanks, I've been lurking here for a while and had read of it's unicorn status. When it came time to pull the trigger on a truck I was surprised to see one about an hour away. The cost was extravagant (twice as much as any vehicle I've ever purchased) but being a novice I like the thought of more truck and less trailer. We've planning to travel the country over the next five years and I like the added safety margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM Rolling View Post
Get a good WD hitch, keep the weight in the truck at 80% or lower than your 2500 payload, and you should be very happy with it.

I'm thinking of the Andersen type hitch, but haven't decided on anything yet. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks for confirming the TV/TT combination
Lleaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #4

I've used the fastaway WDH and the Equalizer WDH. I liked the Equalizer better.

I have not used the Anderson...have read good and bad about it.

Since you are planning to travel a lot, and like to have an added safety margin, you might want to look into the ProPride Hitch.

It is a lot more expensive, but instead of controlling sway, like the Anderson or Equalizer, it eliminates sway.

The weight distribution portion of the hitch is extremely easy to use, and can be fine-tuned much more than other options.

I do not "need" one, but am seriously contemplating it. We travel a lot, and much of it is in very windy conditions, plus I like the added safety factor in an emergency situation.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #5

You are good to go with that truck / trailer combo. The F-150 with the HDPP option is the best towing half ton truck with a longer wheelbase and strong engine. HDPP makes the F-150 kinda similar to the F-250.

You were very lucky to find one just an hour away. Good for you[emoji106]
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote