Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #1

Uh oh, floor rot in pass through storage area.

I was a bit dismayed to find very soft floor areas at the doors in the front pass through storage area on a new to us 2010 250F Dutchman trailer. This is the big storage cubby that goes under the queen bed. Admittedly this is the one area I didnít check well and I wish I did.

Not crying in my beer...I expected some issues and I guess I found it. Everything else is in great shape and Iím very handy.

So, where to start though? I assume the hatches leaked in and water got under the vinyl floor. But I canít say for sure if the leaks came from higher up. Thereís no signs of water damage on inside walls or ceiling.

I also canít crawl under to assess without removing skirting (this is set up as seasonal) though Iím sure Iíll be removing skirts to do a rebuild.

Now for the million dollar question; has anyone done a repair/rebuild without major deconstruction of the bed or exterior skin? Front lower quarter is checker plate aluminum. I was thinking of scabbing new ply to good adjoining material or cladding with sheet aluminum. (PLUS fixing the leak issues)

Do I now have a structural issue? I was going to bring it home in 3-5 years as a travel trailer once we buy a bigger trailer for the park.

Please give me the straight scoop, even if bad news
Great-Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 10:02 PM   #2

Skyline Owners Group
A couple of quick questions is this

1: What size of hatch doors does the pass-through have?

2: Does the queen bed lift to give access to the pass-through and under bed storage?

If the hatches are large enough, you might be able to get a circular saw in there to cut the flooring that is bad out and purchase new plywood to repair.

If the hatches are not very large, and you can access the bad area from under the bed, that may also work.

Or a combination of both accesses?

Pictures may help other members come up with some solutions as well.

Keep us posted on this!
stinger608 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:37 AM   #3

Thanks. I will take photos when back there next.

The pass through area under the bed is completely closed. I would have to remove it all. (And may have to)

The doors are roughly 12” to 14” high by maybe 24” long. (Guessing by memory) But I will measure to be sure. I was thinking of using a multi tool with sawblades on it to cut out small section and try to do the repairs from above through the opening if possible.

I’m not going to bother replacing the vinyl floor in those areas. I would more than likely bed down some aluminum sheet. Possibly even construct some shallow aluminum pans as the replacement panel (with a drain hole/spout and hose in case of future leaks)
Old 09-21-2021, 07:14 PM   #4

Skyline Owners Group
If only 12 to 14" tall, it might be a challenge getting in there. Although, as you stated, using a multi-tool with sawblades may just be the ideal tool for getting in there for sure.
stinger608 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great-Escape View Post
I was a bit dismayed to find very soft floor areas at the doors in the front pass through storage area
I restored some soft plywood subfloor using a wood restoration product, sourced from various companies, including Minwax.

The wood must be dry and how disintegrated the wood makes it a judgement call for repair method.

The product I used was not Minwax but was comprised of lacquer thinner and dissolved plastic, two applications recommended. The thinner seems into the wood, then evaporates, leaving the plabic to strengthen the wood. It beat the wood replacement approach, no question.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:07 AM   #6

Quote:
I was a bit dismayed to find very soft floor areas at the doors in the front pass through storage area on a new to us 2010 250F Dutchman trailer. This is the big storage cubby that goes under the queen bed. Admittedly this is the one area I didnít check well and I wish I did.

Not crying in my beer...I expected some issues and I guess I found it. Everything else is in great shape and Iím very handy.

So, where to start though? I assume the hatches leaked in and water got under the vinyl floor. But I canít say for sure if the leaks came from higher up. Thereís no signs of water damage on inside walls or ceiling.

I also canít crawl under to assess without removing skirting (this is set up as seasonal) though Iím sure Iíll be removing skirts to do a rebuild.

Now for the million dollar question; has anyone done a repair/rebuild without major deconstruction of the bed or exterior skin? Front lower quarter is checker plate aluminum. I was thinking of scabbing new ply to good adjoining material or cladding with sheet aluminum. (PLUS fixing the leak issues)

Do I now have a structural issue? I was going to bring it home in 3-5 years as a travel trailer once we buy a bigger trailer for the park.

Please give me the straight scoop, even if bad news
I've done several floor repairs.

My first couple attempts I fought around cabinets/beds/dinettes/slide outs/etc.

Trust me, you will be hours ahead pulling out what ever is in your way and do a better, more thorough job.

Most of these items come out pretty easy anyway and are not worth fighting around.

Is your rig fiberglass or aluminum siding?

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #7

Looking at it today, I think I might try to leave the bed intact and see if I can do it through the hatch 1st. First few hours will tell. I could always sleep on the dinette benches that weekend if I have to. First thing I need to do is stop the water from getting in.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:45 AM   #8

So it looks like my doors are soft also. Before I try to recreate them, does anyone know if they are an off the shelf item?

All three are soft.

Edit, photos won’t load
Old 10-06-2021, 06:04 AM   #9

Quote:
So it looks like my doors are soft also. Before I try to recreate them, does anyone know if they are an off the shelf item?

All three are soft.

Edit, photos wonít load
Yes and no.
(I'm assuming you're talking about the hatch doors)

You can special order hatch doors to size.
There are some standard size doors ready to ship as well.

Also, there are some used doors on eBay.

Tags
floor, storage