Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2022, 03:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Your missing the lamination part, and how it combines all layers. You canít look at it with only one aspect, or layer.

When Artic Fox started laminating their truck campers roof, and dropped the joist/ply construction, they got the same concerns. Granted itís thick rigid foam board, but has no framing. Those concerns were quickly put to rest.

The pluses are lighter weight, and no problems with the batten insulation and itís inability to control air flow, or water vapor, which leads to rot.
I'm not missing anything; I just don't think it's a good idea for longevity unless there is some strength in the top floor layer so you don't have to rely on not compressing the insulation over time. I'm aware of the advantages you speak of but they aren't enough to trade off against the longevity of the floor IMO. There may well be some laminated structure that will last a long time in some high end motorhome, I'd have to see it......but I would not buy a floor topped with nothing but luan with insulation under it. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that any foam with a 1/8" topping is going to hold up to years of foot traffic.

A roof is one thing (still not a fan) but a floor sees 1000x the use.

Again, batten insulation isn't the best (though it is only a potential problem if something else fails) but I don't have any in my floor. ;-)

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #30

High end Motorhome.
Entegra builds there's like a home.

https://www.entegracoach.com/connect...-construction/

The reason laminated floors last in MH's is because they're sandwiched between the lower cargo bays and the interior living space. Unlike a trailer where the bottom of the floor is more easily susceptible to water. There's also a lot more cross member bracing in a MH. Especially a class A.
Floors in a MH are built the way they are to provide the strength that they need for the flooring. Laminated flooring would be okay with linoleum on it but not tile.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 05:56 PM   #31

Not talking just Class Aís, or even high end motorhomes. Class Cís especially have to construct with lighter materials.

Laminated floors are 2 layers of 1/4Ē Luan. Top and bottom.

Some manufacturers are now moving away from Luan, on their laminated floors, and moving to a composite instead. This is another step in the right direction.

The biggest reason TT trailer manufacturers use 2X4ís is to clear the wheel wells, for floor plan flexibility. But a 2x4 spanned 6í doesnít inspire a lot of confidence either.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:25 PM   #32

6'? Not sure why.
At least with Northwood and ORV it's way less than that. 2x4's are ran front to back 16" OC. 5/8" ply on that. I don't think you can get a stronger floor with those materials.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NW Frame.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	287.1 KB
ID:	355300  
Old 02-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
6'? Not sure why.

At least with Northwood and ORV it's way less than that. 2x4's are ran front to back 16" OC. 5/8" ply on that. I don't think you can get a stronger floor with those materials.

Talking span between the trailer frame.

But do all manufacturers go with 16, or is there some going on 24. Even on 16 a 2x4 has a max span of 6í7Ē.

Just my point, details in the construction matters, and you just canít assume one process equals bad in all.
Old 02-01-2022, 07:34 PM   #34

Well this thread has certainly taken a bit of a curve from the original discussion. Obviously the more you pay the better the floor construction whether it is wood or aluminum framing or laminated or not laminated. This whole discussion was suppose to be about ultra lite trailers using laminated floors. In addition it was about an ultra lite that was 5 years old that was having issues most likely caused by someone using it full time when it was never designed for that. Go on the Rockwood forums and you'll see the same but no one considers them to be cheap. Things have changed since then for both Rockwood and the Coachmen Apex line. Since I have one I can say it's quite well made and I looked at everything under 40k that was a nice fit for my tow vehicle. And yes, I could have bought a larger truck and towed a not ultra lite trailer but I also can't take a half ton on BLM land and go deep into the trails...or even park one in my garage next to my minivan.
green_plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 03:10 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I'm not missing anything; I just don't think it's a good idea for longevity unless there is some strength in the top floor layer so you don't have to rely on not compressing the insulation over time. I'm aware of the advantages you speak of but they aren't enough to trade off against the longevity of the floor IMO. There may well be some laminated structure that will last a long time in some high end motorhome, I'd have to see it......but I would not buy a floor topped with nothing but luan with insulation under it. You're going to have a hard time convincing me that any foam with a 1/8" topping is going to hold up to years of foot traffic.

A roof is one thing (still not a fan) but a floor sees 1000x the use.

Again, batten insulation isn't the best (though it is only a potential problem if something else fails) but I don't have any in my floor. ;-)

Dave
What about 2 sheets of 5/16 luan? My Coachmen 20SE has the aluminum frame and 1.5" block foam insulation covered by 2 sheets of 5/16" luan.
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:01 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
What about 2 sheets of 5/16 luan? My Coachmen 20SE has the aluminum frame and 1.5" block foam insulation covered by 2 sheets of 5/16" luan.
At some point, the thickness is enough and Luan becomes plywood! .....Luan is a type of "very soft plywood" usually 1/8 - 1/4" thick. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/luan-wood-99466.html

As bneukam correctly points out; a laminated floor system is a system so depending on framing type/size/spacing and they density of the foam as well as the adhesives and glues used, it would be possible to have a strong laminated floor. Is 5/16" enough to do it? Maybe depending on the other parts of the assembly - it would certainly work better than thinner veneers. As far as your Coachmen goes; the best check would be the Forest River group here or on facebook;https://www.facebook.com/coachmenrv/

The discussion here is more generic IMO and the experience of actual owners of particular makes and models over time should suffice to alleviate any concerns....or not, as the case may be. Clearly some manufacturers have had enough problems with this type of floor to justify a change in construction (like Rockwood) and I'm sure others have done a better job and still use it.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 02-02-2022, 11:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post

Try calling Coachmen to see if they would provide you a framing diagram of the floor.

Never tried, but some say a stud finder works?

But ideally your looking for material running down the center of the floor, that sits on each cross member of the trailer frame. Then material going side to side 2í on center.

Agree, that a laminated floor is a system, and one weak link can cause failure. But done right it will last, and has many benefits, as aluminum framing, and foam board, will outlast 2X4ís and batten insulation.

Rockwood did switch over, but they still donít use batten insulation.

There are two things I will never use when they get older than 10 years, a Hot Tub, and a RV that is insulated using batten insulation.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:14 AM   #38

I think a laminated floor could be made strong and light, but the one in my Forest River missed the strong part.
There are areas of my camper that the floor seems fine, but in the kitchen area there is a place that is atleast 2feet between the aluminum joists.
Maybe a plastic honeycomb filled with foam would be better, but it would be more expensive.
Wowens79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 10:12 AM   #39

Quote:
There are two things I will never use when they get older than 10 years, a Hot Tub, and a RV that is insulated using batten insulation.
Meh; my hot tub at my ski chalet was 25 years old and working great when I sold it as was my 1973 Kit companion when I sold it in 1995....fiberglass insulation, wood and all. I'm just helping my son refurbish his 1971 Scamp; it's held up pretty well for being 51 years old - no mould though some panelling and plywood at the bottom of the walls on the outside needed to be replaced

Dave
Old 02-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #40

Quote:
Try calling Coachmen to see if they would provide you a framing diagram of the floor.

Never tried, but some say a stud finder works?

But ideally your looking for material running down the center of the floor, that sits on each cross member of the trailer frame. Then material going side to side 2í on center.

Agree, that a laminated floor is a system, and one weak link can cause failure. But done right it will last, and has many benefits, as aluminum framing, and foam board, will outlast 2X4ís and batten insulation.

Rockwood did switch over, but they still donít use batten insulation.

Why did Lance switch to a Lippert frame and 5/8" plywood flooring?
Money?
Old 02-03-2022, 11:07 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Why did Lance switch to a Lippert frame and 5/8" plywood flooring?

Money?

Aware of the Lippert frame, but havenít heard of the 5/8 plywood flooring. Where did you hear this?

Yes, IMO they switched over to the Lippert frame, and shock absorbed suspension due to lower cost, or supply chain issues. Lance has always been a higher quality trailers that were geared towards 1/2 ton owners. REV Group is taking them away from this, and is a big mistake. Heavier units doesnít equal better quality, but it does equal lower cost.

Tags
floor, flooring, light, lights